Tipping Guide

It is always helpful to ask the PH what is appropriate for the camp staff. It doesn't mean you have to tip what that advice indicates. I have tipped slightly more on my hunts than recommended for staff but never excessively. A skinner for instance will be up well into the night caping an animal and getting the skull cleaned off and into the salt. I wouldn't begin to do the work they do for what they get so the tip becomes even more important.
@TMS said it very well tip what you can afford and from the heart. And for me it has always been important to place the tip into the hand of the person who has done the work. A hand shake and meaningful thank you from the hunter is important.
Our PH provided us envelopes, and asked that we give the tips to each person ourself. Great ideas on both counts.

James I actually take my own envelopes with small cards in them so I can write a thank you note. On my first hunt I did this with the skinner tracker who couldn't read. The follow year on my return I was told that he had asked what the note said and was all smiles when he was told. I got a big hug from him on the first day of the hunt year two. That man worked his butt off for me!

At the end of our hunt we received an invoice that included a "camp fee" which was for the camp staff tips. Has anyone seen a mandatory charge for this? We weren't even aware of it.

At the end of our hunt we received an invoice that included a "camp fee" which was for the camp staff tips. Has anyone seen a mandatory charge for this? We weren't even aware of it.
Never seen anything like that, and I've stayed in lots of camps in lots of countries.

I have never seen or heard of this either

Thats just a hidden charge and part of a bait and switch or false advertising, whatever you want to call it. Not good.... all charges should be upfront and no surprises on the bill.

Like Hank said, this type of thing is rare. Tips aren't mandatory, unless previously agreed to, even of it sometimes feels that way.

Never seen or heard of this and wouldn't pay it unless it was spelled out in my agreement with the outfitter ahead of time and to which I had agreed.
Amount doesn't matter.....was it what you were told in advance?

Never seen or heard of this and wouldn't pay it unless it was spelled out in my agreement with the outfitter ahead of time and to which I had agreed.
Amount doesn't matter.....was it what you were told in advance?

There wasn't any discussion of a "camp fee". We didn't find out about it until the end of the hunt. It wasn't an issue so we didn't make it one but we had already given a staff cook a nice tip. It was more or less a surprise at the end of our hunt.

There wasn't any discussion of a "camp fee". We didn't find out about it until the end of the hunt. It wasn't an issue so we didn't make it one but we had already given a staff cook a nice tip. It was more or less a surprise at the end of our hunt.

Well to me it was not right to treat you that way. Tips are your choice! As mentioned by others it sounds like this was part of how the staff was paid instead of a tip.

If this was not specifically mentioned and discussed with you by the outfitter in advance, it is completely inappropriate. I mentioned something in this thread a while back that is worth repeating....

It is no secret that the concept of tipping on safari is controversial for some... Irregardless, it is very personal and subjective thing for most safari guests. We expect our staff to provide excellent service at all times. PERIOD. No exceptions... That said, our staff greatly appreciates any and all gratuities from guests, but they never EXPECT to receive an additional gratuity. The first one who does will have the gate hit them in the ass on the way out of camp.

We are very detailed, clear, and specific in listing all costs included and excluded UP FRONT in all safari proposals. This includes gratuities. Listed as not included is fine, but built in, no way, never...! That should be a given from any reputable outfitter. When guests inquire about gratuities we are always glad to offer guidance in this area only if they request it, but the final decision of who and how much is completely at the guests' discretion.

Ryan, Sorry to hear that you experienced this.... This is not reflective of the high standards of the great majority of the outfitters representing Africa.

Well said Limcroma safaris.

SS Pro types up a receipt for you to sign when you leave a tip for the staff. That way he avoids squabbling, very professional

This tipping business sure can be confounding and I'm not sure what to think about. On our upcoming plains game safari to SA, my wife and I will be going on a 2x1 hunt for 4-7 animals combined on a 7 day hunt with 2 days being eaten up on excursions. I'm curious as to what a tip for the PH should be, we've met them before, they're great people and I don't want to be insulting. The hunt was purchased at an SCI auction so the Safari cost is not really applicable when calculating a %. Input would be appreciated as I don't want to seem cheap, but I'm not rich and every dollar counts as it could be the difference between an extra animal or not. Would you tip a hired PH more than if the PH was the owner of the outfit??? I'm already stressing about this and I haven't even got there yet!

You are correct mark..... It can be complicated, if you make it. Keep it simple..... Example: Maids - $5/day, Cook - $5-$10/day, Skinner/Tracker - $10-20/per animal, PH - (Whatever you think) maybe 5-10% of the would be trophy fees. There are some good examples on this forum. Good Luck!

Question: Sorry if this has already been addressed in the thread and I missed it. From what I've read a typical tip for a PH is 6-10% of daily rate plus trophy fees. Does it make any difference if you are hunting 1 x 1 or 2 x 1 with the PH?

Question: Sorry if this has already been addressed in the thread and I missed it. From what I've read a typical tip for a PH is 6-10% of daily rate plus trophy fees. Does it make any difference if you are hunting 1 x 1 or 2 x 1 with the PH?

No. The total daily rate is how you calculate a tip. So if 2:1 the total daily fees are $10,000....then calculate accordingly. If 1:1 the daily fees are $8000, same percentages apply.

This was a really complicated topic for me before my first safari and now its not so complicated anymore.

You have to ask what was involved in the hunt? If you have a hunt in Tanzania or Zambia or even Zim and its a fly camp or wilderness area with a staff of 10, you need to tip more people and probably a higher percentage if they did a great job. If its an operation where you stay with a family and there is one scout/skinner on the truck and the PH, and Mrs. PH and their family do the cooking and hospitality....that's like 4 people involved. Probably less tip percentage because it was less logistical work involved even if they worked very hard for you.

My PH charges between $300 and $1500 a day depending on a lot of location variables. He NETS about the same amount either way. (let that sink in for a minute) So a smaller tip on the East Cape $300 day is appropriate and a larger tip on the $1500 a day fly camp is also appropriate because about $1300 of that $1500 each day is overhead, trucks, staff, generators, diesel, gas, more diesel, more diesel, replacement tires for the ones that fail, etc. etc.

Here it is in the end: No one ever says "I had the time of my life, the best hunt of my lifetime...but I really regret giving away such a big tip!". If you're having an amazing time, you're not a fool for giving a tip that is generous. If you think you might not be giving enough tip, you're probably right.

Sometimes the PH has an unfortunate mechanical event on the hunt and after expenses, they lose money without that tip. Things happen. 10% per day tip for PH and $10 a day per person in hospitality is a decent tip average. It was not uncommon to give a best London rifle as a tip in the past for a truly great hunt, even if the hunter wasn't extremely affluent, so consider that if you had a fantastic time it is not out of place to give even a 100% tip.

That's what it is, a tip. How much more would you pay than your Daily Rate and Trophy fees for the best hunt of your lifetime, better than you could ever imagine? If that's exactly what happened, pay the people a LOT.

Hi first tipping is for good service. And it should not be expected.
When I am on a cull hunt I leave approx 8% total of the safari cost at the end of the hunt with instructions that it should be shaired between all the staff

@Mark Urbanczyk Mark - I have bought two safaris on auction. I calculated what the daily rates and trophy fees would have been at the PH's quoted prices and then tipped the PH 6 - 10% of that. So, if the auction hunt and trophies would equal $10,000 at quoted prices, I would tip the PH between $600 - 1,000.

Staff (trackers, skinners, drivers, room, laundry, etc.) was based upon performance and number of days. I prefer to make an envelope for each staff and give it directly to them. I actually have the PH sit down with me at the end of the hunt, go through the staff, how they did, and what seems fair. Then, I make up the envelopes and he brings the staff to me and I present the envelope, shake their hand and thank them.

John

@Mark Urbanczyk , don't let the tipping issue stress you out, go enjoy your safari. Hired or owner PH, pay the PH you hunt with the same as either way.

@Ryan Wilson , that is definitely not the norm, I have never heard of that before, I truly wonder if that money made it to the staff.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jhonmark007

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg