Tipping Guide

I apologize for not reading all 18 pages here before posting my question, but I'll throw it out there.
I'd like some validation on these numbers to make sure my rule of thumb is what I thought I did previously?.

Bush camp safari - 14 days - 10 helpers (cooks, laundry, skinners, trackers, scouts, drivers, salters, camp staff, etc.)
$100 a man at the end of the trip.

Hostess / Chef / Hospitality Manager / Den Mother / Biltong Mistress
$250-$450?

PH for dangerous game (covering 6 hour transport to/from airport at N/C)
10% of daily rate, roughly $1000-$1500?

@rookhawk ,

From Jerome's original post (http://www.africahunting.com/threads/tipping-guide.183/), may be a good one to go by or a starting point. Looking forward to your hunting report!

For professional hunter:
5% for an average tip
6% for a better than average tip
7% for a very good tip
8% plus for a very generous tip

I believe that this method works well because it figures in the cost level of the hunt, the number of species you take and allows for you to express your appreciation by giving you the ability to choose the percentage based upon your overall satisfaction.

As for the rest of the hunting team and lodge/camp staff I break it down as follows:

For a typical hunting safari:
Tracker: from $5 to $10 per person/day
Driver: from $5 to $10 per day
Skinner: from $5 to $10 per person/day
Lodge/camp staff: $3 to $5 per person/day

Typical personnel for a basic hunting safari:
Hunting team will usually consist of one to two trackers, one driver who may also double as a tracker, one skinner.
Lodge staff will usually consist of one cook, one server, one to two maids, one laundress. The more high end the lodge the more personnel you can expect.

For a big five or concession camp hunting safari:
Tracker: from $8 to $13 per person/day
Driver: from $5 (average) to $10 (generous) per day
Skinner: from $5 (average) to $10 (generous) per person/day
Porter: from $5 (average) to $10 (generous) per person/day
Lodge/camp staff: $3 (average) to $7 (generous) per person/day

Typical personnel for a big five or concession camp hunting safari:
Hunting team will usually consist of two trackers, one driver who may also work as a third tracker, one porter who may also work as a third tracker, one skinner.
Camp staff will usually consist of one to two cooks, two servers, two maids, two laundress. The more high end the lodge the more personnel you can expect.

Last edited by a moderator:
I did indeed read that @reedy0312 but was wondering if fly camps demand higher tips to maintain propriety? The whole staff is hours from home for weeks without communication to their family and friends. Does that create a premium for fly camp conditions beyond what Jerome typed in his initial guide?

@rookhawk - that is pretty close to what I did in 2011 for a remote buffalo / plains game in Zimbabwe / Zambezi Valley

I'm a little confused as this is my first safari. Are those percentages on the daily rates, or on the trophy fees and daily rates combined, or on the trophy fees only?

I'm a little confused as this is my first safari. Are those percentages on the daily rates, or on the trophy fees and daily rates combined, or on the trophy fees only?

On my hunt last year the tip that I gave my PH was the percentage for the whole hunt, which included trophy fees for two extra animals.

I followed the list other than that. But I did give my tracker who was assigned to me a little bit more than what is listed.

That's a great question and honestly I'd be scratching my head on many of the raffle/donation hunts to RSA as well as the "promo deal" hunts for that same reason. I've seen RSA daily rates of $1500+ that had trophy fees of peanuts. Then I've seen free daily rates and $200 daily rates yet it would cost you $5500 for a Kudu trophy fee. Calculating tips under such erratic pricing structures would be very confusing to the customer.

For purposes of my question I was thinking of fly camp costs associated with the daily rates specifically. In most fly camp scenarios the trophy fees are fees paid to the government so the PH doesn't typically get a cut of that action.

You can do however/whatever feels best.... I think it is better to give face to face. For the natives.... Give in Rand. PH... Either... USD is kosher.

Trackers/skinners.... $10/usd/day
PH..... 5-10%
Maids/staff.... $5-10/usd/day

All depends on service & effort. If you didn't shoot an animal... You don't owe.... No laundry.... No tip for....

Just be generous & courteous.... All good!!!

If you didn't shoot an animal... You don't owe....

Not trying to stir the pot, but @BWH what does shooting an animal have to do with a gratuity for hard work by staff? Hunting is preparation and luck, don't we reward and tip for the former and thank God or chance for the latter? If PHs and outfitters only got tipped for the events in which I actually killed an animal or caught a fish, all the PHs and outfitters would now be impoverished or bankrupt! :)

In Zimbabwe my hunt was an auction hunt, I tipped the PH a % of the total standard daily fees and trophy fees - not the discounted rate I paid. And, he insisted - which I wanted as well - that the tips for the trackers, camp staff, etc. were given directly to them. The PH provided me with envelopes. Next trip, I plan to bring my own envelopes.

Not at all.... I'm saying why pay a skinner if he didn't skin an animal...why pay a maid if laundry was not done.

Has nothing to do with PH.

I can't imagine a hunt in Africa where you don't have you laundry done or a maid doesn't make your bed, not to mention not shooting a animal so that the skinner has something to do.

I think y'all misunderstood the point or maybe my typing skills failed.

Nevertheless, I guess y'all overlooked the last sentence. Generous.

I think y'all misunderstood the point or maybe my typing skills failed.

Nevertheless, I guess y'all overlooked the last sentence. Generous.

I got it - you were just pointing out, 'if someone doesn't give you service, why would you tip them!?', right! A sentiment that I totally agree with. On our trip to Zim, the hunting camp was fantastic. The fishing camp, completely different. Fishing guide and fishing kitchen staff got tips. Room - maid service/etc. did NOT. And, we made sure the tips we provided went to the people that did services for us.

John

Right..... Every case is different. My free range hunt was TOTALLY different than my Lodge/Camp experience, where we had the same chef, made, driver, skinner, tracker... every single day. On free range, we were in different place every night, and no I did not shoot an animal every day & no I did not do my laundry every day. I promise none of the crew suffered wages. All those involved were generously rewarded.

Tips should be given in response to how hard they worked for you. Not necessarily what you shot but how much effort they put in for you. Some expect a tip for mediocre service and tip accordingly!

Reactions: BWH
A tip is a very personal thing. Not everyone has tons of $$$, tip what you can afford according to the service you received. I received a 500$ tip from a history teacher that had saved years to do a buffalo hunt, his tip meant more to me than some 1000$ plus tips, if he could have given me the shirt off his back he would have.....do what your heart and wallet can afford.

Very good article and much needed. As mentioned most PH's are hesitant to tell the hunter. All the detail helps to make a good decision based on the hunt and service received - and personal experience. We eventually got our PH to share with us what was appropriate for his staff and it was spot on with this article - so it was reassuring to see here. As it was our first trip, we were just wanting to make sure we did the right thing.

All the above is fine. However in all my working life I have never been tipped. That said I only give a total of 10% for the total cost of my hunt. And I pay this at the end of the hunt

It is always helpful to ask the PH what is appropriate for the camp staff. It doesn't mean you have to tip what that advice indicates. I have tipped slightly more on my hunts than recommended for staff but never excessively. A skinner for instance will be up well into the night caping an animal and getting the skull cleaned off and into the salt. I wouldn't begin to do the work they do for what they get so the tip becomes even more important.
@TMS said it very well tip what you can afford and from the heart. And for me it has always been important to place the tip into the hand of the person who has done the work. A hand shake and meaningful thank you from the hunter is important.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OdessaHayg

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.