Tipping Guide

my wife and i worked for 40 and 43 years for the same company,we never received any tips.if the wage we received wasnt enough ,work some place else.its up to the individual to give a good days work for a good days wage.i hate the mandatory tip process,your told tips are up to you but also how much you are expected to give.in some cases,2000.00 is considered skimpy.id rather the outfitter include the tip in the price ,and see how much he hands out when the hunt is over.i want to tip who i think deserves it.not be told who and how much im expected to pay.it seems the definition of tips has been lost somewhere.im well aware of the difference in the economy,but i didnt create it and i cant fix it.we worked our ass off for what we have and im not going to give it away.i also wont apollogize for my beliefs.

I agree wholeheartedly! Tips have become expected regardless the effort expended. One PH, a guy I like very much laid out some "recommendations" for staff tips which exceeded my own ideas of a total tip amount for all. I said OK fine but the difference between our expectations comes off the top of your personal tip. He agreed to that.

@edward , I totally agree with you. I am not going to read through 18 pages already posted, so if what I say has been said already..sorry.

Tips can cause different problems, if too high, my staff are drunk for 2 weeks, if next tip is low then I have a grumpy drunk staff for 2 weeks.

Now we pay the tips at the end of season or if we have a break long enough between hunts. But we do let the clients tell the staff so no misunderstandings.

There are staff that clients don't see that are often doing the hardest work and deserve just as much as the trackers.

Last edited:
Oh well I need to get some more USD then. Would tipping in GBP not be ok then??

Simon, what staff are you referring to that do the hardest work and the client doesn't see them?

Yep that's what I have been told!
Bring some new bills!

You will be astounded how dirty and limp the US dollars in Zimbabwe are. Limited number, I guess, and no new supplies coming in with any regularity.

@jeff, the scenario is different in countries. For example, every season we have to reopen all the roads, as in the rain season they are not used, we don't use machinery, all done by hand, these people work for months before the hunt starts. But a person I am more referring to is the camp laundary gent, when you finished your shower at night, your clothes disappear and he hand washes everything, I can hear him at about 3 in the morning getting coals from the fire(coal irons,no electricity) to iron clothes. In the morning your clothes are neatly ironed and ready for you. A client doesn't see him, but he works his arse off.

Bring some new bills!

You will be astounded how dirty and limp the US dollars in Zimbabwe are. Limited number, I guess, and no new supplies coming in with any regularity.

Good to know Hank!

Here is an article that I wrote about tipping, feel free to comment and discuss this subject further, give your opinion or share examples of what you have given as a tip.

Great article Jerome!

Last edited by a moderator:
I've passed on making comment since seeing this remain at the top. I've given in to my weakness.
I think it completely unfair to client and employees for an employer to have expectations regarding additional discretionary income derived from the client. Why is it this particular industry relies on clients to accept the employer's responsibility of adequately compensating their employees. I think the employer should pay to worth, a charge to worth, and deliver to worth. I never resented tipping when a guide made effort to put me on exceptional animals, but that has changed. PHs/Guides now hunt you around where the best may be unless they charge you double(or some exuberant fee) for the bother. I liked this industry much better when I could expect one's honest best effort.

So...if the staff doesn't get tips until the end of the season, does the client get to hand out vouchers so they know how much they got tipped?

Why a tip at all? How about the hunting industry operate like every other business and pay what a job is worth, charge what the job is worth, and then do your best to make sure the product you sold is the most deesirable.

I'm not happy about the whole tipping thing, and the mystery which always seems to surround it. But do you know what a PH in South Africa makes?

That's the problem - these people aren't paid a reasonable or, in my view, a fair, wage.

Hank, couldn't agree more. Charge what is fair and then deliver on it, that's all.

Hallo,as a ph myself i can tel by the daily rate we work for is not money, after all we as the ph put our life on the line during the time you are here,we are responsible for your safty and wellbeing. Our vehicles are used and batterd, our diesel is burned and our skills is used in the bush to give you the most of your hunt, when something goes wrong the ph must at all means put his life in front of yous to protect you from any harm actualy we must get a " dangerous pay " it is pretty mush hard work to hunt 8months a year away from your family. So a tip is more than welcome guys. I wish that phasa can establish a fixed rate for ph's. Most of the outfitters is paying a ph $25 to $40 a day that starts usely at 4:30 and end before sunset, burning diesel, paying your tracker and maintaining your truck eats a lot of that money. Please encourage your hunting buddies to give a proper tip towards the ph and give it to him directly and not to his outfitter as some of them keeps a pesentage of the tip. Thank you guys

I have never had a PH put his life on the line for me but I have had them risk mine by driving too fast and passing where they shouldn't. On plains game hunts have not had PHs start before about 7:00 am so I can see that different hunts can vary a lot.

I hunted with one of the guys who gave an INSANE list at the end. It was several thousand dollars at the end of a 10 day buffalo hunt. I paid it all as suggested, but it left a terrible taste in my mouth and I would never hunt with him again. NEVER.

I settle the question of tipping before booking my hunt.
I just ask my outfitter what is expected, as to me it is a part of my budget for the hunt.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jenniferlaw003

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg