Taking a kid on Safari

B.Slash(B/)

AH member
Reaction score
What age is the best to take a kid on their first trip to Africa? What ages for observers and what age to hunt? My wife and I would like to take the whole family (4 of us total) and we want it to be a memorable experience for our boys.

When I was working in Northern Kenya I was told to bring my family next time and let the Samburu take them out to the bush. Not sure my wife would go for that but I know my sons would love it.

Just got back from taking my 3 boys on a hunting safari. They are 15, 13, and 11. All did well but the 11 year old is on the smaller side and could have used a few more years to really excel. Older two are basically man children. I would think it would depend on their skill, size, and the type of hunting you’re going to do. Mine all started out hunting at age 7 or 8.

Took our son when he turned 12, and he and we had a great time. We returned 3 years later and he was 15, with my three daughters at 12,10, and 8. They too had a blast. All four hunted. Th younger ones struggled with blind hunting times. But they have great memories as do I! That was in 2017. Go for it!

I was on a hunt this year where a 12 year old girl shot her first Cape Buffalo! The best age probably depends on the safari type and your child as well. Some 10 year olds will be bored to death, while others will have the adventure of a lifetime. I'd say if your child usually enjoys hunting, bring them along.

Took my son this past sept. he was nine.....this is one of his five trophies , we had a wonderful time....

241552906_10223186401822964_1075164813721749692_n.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
If the passion is in their hearts then 7-8 years is about right. Both my son and Daughter hunted their first antelope at age 8. If they get bored it’ll ruin your Safari! My kids were allowed 2 small/or medium female antelope each per trip and as many game birds as the pcp could bag.

Kids forget things at an early age and unless they go again are apt to forget a lot of what happened. I think taking kids under 12-13 is too soon.
Its different for kids that live there already, no comparison to traveling there for a couple weeks.

I took my son, when he was 14. Great trip and experience
But after that, in following years, he gets more keen to play station, then going with me hunting.

I took my son at age 12, my father at age 74, on the same trip. It was truly amazing. We went for 18 days and he to 6 head of PG.
We returned when he was 15 and brought my side and 17 year old daughter. Also amazing! My daughter was a non-hunting vegetarian. After seeing conservation and hunting, she decided she wanted to hunt too!

I think it depends on how much hunting the kid has done back home. There really is a lot to see and a do outside, but a kid with a short attention span could put a damper on a hunt.

Bring snacks. We call it crisis chocolate… it is amazing how many snacks a youth needs.

I was 14 when my dad took me on my first safari. It was one of the greatest experiences of my life. I think that many kids should get the opportunity of going on safari and see the world in a bigger way.

When I worked for a safari company, we had clients who brought their kids with them. The average was mid teens.

It really depends on the individual kid in my opinion.

hi there

i have many kids on hunts with dads, girls and boys
as long as they enjoy hunting or outdoors they will have a blast
just this past season i think we had about 8-10 "new hunters" (youngest about 10- oldest about 45) we have a passion for getting them into the sport with good guidance

What age is the best to take a kid on their first trip to Africa? What ages for observers and what age to hunt? My wife and I would like to take the whole family (4 of us total) and we want it to be a memorable experience for our boys.

A family safari in Africa has so much to offer beyond hunting... Family safaris can and should include non-hunting excursions like visits to the National Parks and game preserves where the entire family can experience up close and personal interactions with elephants, cheetahs, and many other animals.

We also encourage and facilitate visits to the local school and village where the family will get to spend time with he local children and see first-hand how their culture lives and learns. Many of our guests get great satisfaction by donating game meat, school supplies, and other essential items to the school during their visits. It's a very educational and rewarding experience for everyone involved.

At Limcroma Safaris we put families and especially the children, high on our priority list. In combination with game drives and photo safaris around Limcroma's lodges, our latest addition to our non-hunting activity list is our Nature Conservation Education program. This consists of a fun-filled, one-day activity, where our qualified field guides will host our guests on an educational, hands-on bush outing where they will interact with the flora & fauna of our own unique Limpopo biomes. Limcroma's NCE course will leave all who partake with a greater knowledge, understanding, and a new perspective on hunting, the wildlife, and the roles they play in conservation.

The right age to go on safari is really a family decision. I can tell you that we host dozens of families each season with the children as young as 6 years, but the kids aged from 8 and older seem to really get the most from their safari experiences. For many of our pre-teen & teenage guests, an African safari can be a life-changing experience that they will never forget!

Our guests visiting the village's local school
62052376_2276098415808080_4078558604217548800_n.jpg

90505987_2854325004652082_1136854435679436800_n.jpg

community school group.jpg

Our Nature & Conservation tour in action​
conservation 1.JPG

conservation 3.JPG

conservation game tracks.jpg

conservation nature viewing.jpg

New hunters for life!
38764105_1838453569572569_1114076780999737344_n.jpg

67301731_2347709791980275_1189446516377387008_n.jpg

I did a trip to Tanzania with my daughter when she was 15. I did not plan it on my own as you are doing. Sounds like you have done a lot of research and are coming up with quite a plan. I went with Thomson Safaris. They have a family safari and for a single mom and daughter, it was perfect! Best trip of my life. Your inquiry intrigued me because I have traveled a lot with my daughter. She is now 26. We took her to London and Paris when she was 10 and when she looks back now, she is almost angry that we took her when she was so young because she can't remember much! She asks me, "Why did you do that? I wish I could remember it all." When we went to Tanzania we were with another family that had 4 children, one was around 8. All the older kids had a great time. The smaller one really was too young to totally enjoy it and remember it. She got cranky mid-afternoon, bored with looking at all the animals (we were all amazed and transfixed). I have taken my daughter places when she was too young and understand that now. I wanted to go!! But if you want her to have a true "African experience" I would wait a few years. My daughter learned so much beyond just the animals and the tents. The entire culture hit her and affected her and she was changed from that--for the better.

B.Slash(B/), I didn't see the ages of your children posted in this thread. I have a couple of questions for you. Do your kids hunt with you now? Do they use their own firearm or bow? Are they spending quality time with Dad and simply "observing?" Sitting a long time in a blind is going to be boring. My youngest grandson who is now 11 has been hunting with us since the age of 5 and loves every minute of it. He brings an iPad to the stand but is very vigilant about seeing deer in the shooting lanes and or fields. He took his first deer with a 6.5 X 55 Swedish Mauser at the age of 9.

I took my youngest when he was 13 and I believe that is likely a good age to start with. He had a fantastic time and we had another boy in the group as well that was 18.
A safari is a big, expensive endeavor so a good plan is a must. If there are little kids that can’t keep up on the stalk and won’t have fun in a hunting camp then the situation needs to be reevaluated. Many time this can work and many times families are better off planning a family photo safari instead of a hunt.
PG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DaveI79146

Latest profile posts

We bagged a big old buff with hunter from Norway check out our post!!

I live in Tyler Texas. I like Ruger single action revolvers Ruger rifles, and Marlin and Winchester lever guns.
SETH RINGER wrote on tracker12's profile.
PARTITIONS
SEND ME PAYMENT INFO, PLEASE AND THANKS.
Khalanyoni Game Ranch wrote on Joshlee0518's profile.
Hi Joshlee0518 (please let me know if you are fine being addressed like that),

Thought I would drop you a PM. It is super exciting to plan a hunt and we are more than happy to assist you. Have you given any thought yet to which species you would like to take?

What do you hunt usually and which weapons/calibers are you using?

Look forward to swapping experiences and ideas.

Happy hunting - Daniel
Our trophy shed is filling up and we are only getting started,