Ryanlo

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
Hunted
USA New Zealand
We will be hunting in SA and wanting to know if anyone has taken a suppressor with them from the State. Any problems come up?

Thanks for any help

We took one this summer for my children to shoot. We took the tax stamp and my gun trust paper work. We had no trouble getting in or getting back. Apparently from another forum there’s another issue with ATF but we didn’t experience that But ...in other words there is some law that we didn’t know about.

I have been told they are cheap (as in $150) to buy one there. I have considered buying one and leaving it with the lodge.

I'm presuming from the lack of comments that there are no issues with the temporary importation & use of suppressors/moderators in South Africa?
I've no concerns with them from my end, as I'm in the UK but I don't want to land in SA & find I need more paperwork than that needed for my rifles & ammunition.

A suppressor is not seen as part of a firearm within South Africa and is not controlled as such. You do not need any extra paperwork to bring it into the country.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have been talking with our local Guru of all things NFA here at home. Those from the States that have not had issues are lucky. Exporting/Inporting a suppressor falls under Dept of State and requires very specific inport/export permits. Based on my conversation with him my supressor will stay at home,

I have been talking with our local Guru of all things NFA here at home. Those from the States that have not had issues are lucky. Exporting/Inporting a suppressor falls under Dept of State and requires very specific inport/export permits. Based on my conversation with him my supressor will stay at home,

@riflepermits.com Care to offer some advice....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Maxx532

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.
SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.