Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Asia/M.East
Member of
NRA endowment member/Life member
Hunted
All 6 Continents
Do many South African operators attending the DSC or similar shows, buy a rifle in the US, and return with it? Is it easy? (nothing is, it seems) Or is it too difficult to be worthwhile? There are some excellent deals offered at the shows, and I wondered if it was possible for PH's to take advantage of them...................FWB

I baught myself a 458WM Mod70 State side with the idea to import to SA.

After a bunch of research, countless hours at the SAPS office and even with the help of a broker, it pretty much became clear that it is pretty much impossible to import a rifle by yourself as from this year.

I then opted for the option to have it shipped to SA from gundealer to gundealer, and after all the import tax, commissions and so forth, it was way cheaper to simply buy one from a dealer over here.

If anyone else have successfully done it as from mid 2021, I would also like to know please.

I brought 2 wrapons in from europe not long ago
It was an absolute nighmare and all the taxes fees and waiting it was def not worthwhile !!! Easier to buy one here

With the current exchange rate you are better off buying in SA at the moment but that being said the waiting time for a licence (section16A) PH is about 8 months…

It could be worse. Jim Shockey tried to buy a drilling from Cabela's in Allen Tx and NEVER DID GET IT EXPORTED TO CANADA. It ended up back on the shelf for sale after umpteen months. What is wrong with people in gov positions?

They do it because they can.

It could be worse. Jim Shockey tried to buy a drilling from Cabela's in Allen Tx and NEVER DID GET IT EXPORTED TO CANADA. It ended up back on the shelf for sale after umpteen months. What is wrong with people in gov positions?
I don’t understand this, I’m a nobody, and can have a rifle shipped across the border in a month of purchasing it. How can Jim Shockey have any difficulties, he should have a team around him to make life extremely easy.

You can even bring it across yourself if you have your PAL and the patience to deal with border security.

Exporters from the U.S. and Importers from S.A. have to be used. And as somebody previously said, if becomes very expensive very fast.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shoppursuecom

Latest profile posts

sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.
Vonfergus wrote on JamesJ's profile.
I am interested in the Double
Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.