SOUTH AFRICA: BOWHUNT: Huntershill Safaris-East Cape

Discussion in 'Hunting Reports' started by iamyourhuckleberry, Aug 9, 2012.

1. iamyourhuckleberry

iamyourhuckleberry AH Enthusiast

My Photos:
    Member of:
    SCI
    Hunted:
    Australia ( Northern Territory), New Zealand ( both the North and South Island), Namibia, RSA, England, Scotland, Argentina, Canada (Northwest Territories, Quebec, Alberta, Ontario), United States (WA,AZ,CO,NM,WY,NE,TX,OK,KS,SD,LA,MO,IL,KY,MI,OH,PA,NY,MD,NC,FL,AK)
    A resounding ten!

That's the score I would give to Huntershill Safaris if hosting a bow hunt was an Olympic sport. They performed flawlessly. I was treated like royalty, and I look forward to a potential return trip in 2014.

My travel companions and I arrived in Johannesburg on the 18th of July-five people total. We had ten solid days of hunting ahead of us, and we were well prepared to make the most of our adventure.

Day one through three had my group in and out of the Mpumalanga Province of South Africa. We hunted five female Cape buffalo on a 40,000 acre concession south of Kruger Park, very near the Mozambique border. By the end of day one, three rifle hunters had their buffs in the bag. We two archers were not successful until day two. While approaching a waterhole, we (my PH Rusty Coetzer and I) surprised by a group of 40-50 cows, young bulls and calves. It was from this group that I was able to land a perfect double lung/heart shot on an unsuspecting buff. I buried a 745 grain arrow and a 300 grain VPA broadhead from an 80 pound PSE X-Force through both sides. The buffalo trotted 30 yards and collapsed. She was finished in less than thirty seconds. Naturally, this was one of the highlights of my trip-preparation and dedication made short work of a game I've wanted to play for the last four years.
    IMG_02991111.jpg
    We spent day three driving 13 hours to the Stormberg Mountain in the East Cape. It is here, on the 55,000 acre Wildschutzberg Game Reserve, Huntershill Safaris calls home. It was awesome to be back among friends! And I must say, these mountains are a spot and stalk bow hunter's paradise! The vast broken terrain provides ample opportunities-a place where your hunt can be easy [blinds] or difficult [on foot]. You get to decide! Quality and quantity of game is superb!

In the end, seven magnificent animals will make their way back to America. Two were taken from a blind (genet cat and zebra). The rest were arrowed from the ground, after a belly crawl and/or a good pursuit.

I am terribly sorry for passing over details, but I would like to save the particulars for an article. It is more important at this time to give a call out to Huntershill Safaris for an absolutely wonderful adventure. They truly went above and beyond! A huge THANKS to Rusty Coetzer and Boyce Frans. Your two are the best!
    IMG_0486111111.jpg IMG_04401111.jpg IMG_041511111.jpg IMG_3293.jpg IMG_0769.jpg DSC00416.jpg

Attached Files:

2. Diamondhitch

Diamondhitch AH Legend

My Photos:
    Member of:
    SCI
    Hunted:
    Canada (AB, SK, NWT, BC) USA (NM, TX) South Africa (Limpopo, KZN, Free State, Eastern Cape, Northen Cape), Kyrgyzstan, Czech Republic
    Congrats, that is an absolutely beautiful bushbuck! and a daytime Genet! Looks like you did really well. That would have been a great drive down as well. there is some really beautiful country through there.

3. BRICKBURN

BRICKBURN SUPER MODERATOR CONTRIBUTOR GOLD BENEFACTOR AH Ambassador

My Photos:
    Member of:
    KZN Hunters Assoc
    Hunted:
    Namibia, South Africa, Botswana, Canada, USA, Mexico
    Nice trophies all round.
    That is a gager of a Bushbuck, especially walk and stalk with a bow.
    Congrats.

Up close on Buffalo with a pointy stick is an experience you don't soon forget!

Reserve the rights to republish here.

4. Don_G

Don_G New Member

Member of:
    RMEF, NRA
    Hunted:
    USA, Canada, Mexico, RSA, TZ
    Sounds great! Let us know when you publish.

5. Blue Skies Hunting Adventures

Blue Skies Hunting Adventures AH Enthusiast

My Photos:
    Member of:
    SCI, RMEF
    Hunted:
    Limpopo, Eastern Cape,Natal
    Looks like it was a fantastic trip, Can't wait to hear about your stalk on that Bushbuck.

6. iamyourhuckleberry

My Photos:
    Member of:
    SCI
    Hunted:
    Australia ( Northern Territory), New Zealand ( both the North and South Island), Namibia, RSA, England, Scotland, Argentina, Canada (Northwest Territories, Quebec, Alberta, Ontario), United States (WA,AZ,CO,NM,WY,NE,TX,OK,KS,SD,LA,MO,IL,KY,MI,OH,PA,NY,MD,NC,FL,AK)
    Thanks everyone,

The bushbuck was another highlight. He makes up for an encounter I had four years ago. Good friend, Tony Sansalone from Texas, shot this bushbuck (see picture below) with his rifle two days after I had him within six yards. Amazingly, this 15 inch male was bedded on a hillside above an orange orchard. I had managed to position a single thorn bush between him and me-wind in my face. I was in the process of drawing my bow (I had found a gap in the branches) when my PH rolled a rock with his foot. The rock tumbled downward sending the ram fleeing.
    View attachment 12866

On this last trip, three hunters and two PHs traveled south towards East London from Huntershill. Our main pursuit was low fence Kudu. The vegetation further south was much thicker and leafy green. At dawn we spied several bushbuck-mostly females-but they disappeared as quickly as they appeared. We dropped down into a dense valley. Upon cresting the the other side, my bushbuck was spotted feeding at the edge of a clearing. I abandoned the truck and made good use of abundant cover. I ranged the bushbuck at 43 yards, he was quartering away. On the shot the ram stepped forward. My arrow sliced his femoral artery. He was bleeding profusely. I advanced and delivered a second shot through his boiler room. At 14.25 inches per horn, he's a SCI top ten contender, and the last of my required spiral horned animals.

Yes Diamond, the daytime genet was another added bonus. Two vervets chased him right to me. I pinned him to the ground with a 34 yard shot.

7. Bobpuckett

Bobpuckett GOLD SUPPORTER AH Legend

My Photos:
    Member of:
    NAHC Life Member, NRA Life Member,SCI, Buckmasters
    Hunted:
    USA(from Coast to Coast and Alaska), Germany, South Africa, Canada
    Congrats again Will on a fantastic hunt those are some Beautiful animals Glad Rusty was able to come through for you he's the Best he's been my PH for the last 2 trips. Bob

Be sure to post a review on the Outfitters page for Hunterhill Safaris if you havn't already.

8. Bobpuckett

Bobpuckett GOLD SUPPORTER AH Legend

My Photos:
    Member of:
    NAHC Life Member, NRA Life Member,SCI, Buckmasters
    Hunted:
    USA(from Coast to Coast and Alaska), Germany, South Africa, Canada
    Sounds like you went to the same Private reserve that I went to for my Warthog.

Attached Files:

9. James.Grage

James.Grage GOLD SUPPORTER AH Legend

My Photos:
    Member of:
    NRA, ATA, PITA, NAHC, NAFC, DU, TU, DSC, SCI, RMEF
    Hunted:
    USA - Canada -Tanzania, South Africa, Zimbabwe
    nice safari ... like the bush buck...

10. enysse

enysse AH Ambassador

My Photos:
    Member of:
    Northeast Wisconsin SCI chapter, Lifetime member of NRA,RMEF
    Hunted:
    Namibia, South Africa (East Cape, Guateng and Limpopo)
    That's a understatement! That's a awesome achievement!

11. iamyourhuckleberry

My Photos:
    Member of:
    SCI
    Hunted:
    I'm not sure Bob. I didn't see any buildings like that on the place where we hunted this trip. We may have come in from a back way though. It was dark while we were driving and arriving.

Can do on the outfitters report...

12. Nyati

Nyati AH Legend

My Photos:
    Member of:
    RFEC, RFETO
    Hunted:
    Finland, RSA ( KwaZulu Natal, Limpopo, North West ), Spain
    Congrats on agreat hunt and very nice trophies. Thanks for sharing !

13. Stretch

Stretch AH Fanatic

My Photos:
    Hunted:
    USA , Canada, Botswana
    Wow! Sweet! Your huge smile tells the story. I am very happy for you Huck.

14. INGOZI

INGOZI AH Enthusiast

My Photos:
    Member of:
    ABO, SCI, SABA
    Hunted:
    South Africa, Zimbabwe, Namibia, Zambia, United States
    Congrats on your successful safari and great trophies! Thanks for the info!

15. Norwegianwoods

Norwegianwoods SILVER SUPPORTER AH Elite

My Photos:
    Hunted:
    Norway, Sweden, England, South Africa
    Congrats and well done! :)
    I love your Bushbuck!

I am very much looking forward to my stalking hunt with my bow next year!

Thanks for sharing.

16. AfricaHunting.com

AfricaHunting.com FOUNDER AH Ambassador

My Photos:
    Thanks for posting your hunt report and trophy pictures! Always valuable to anyone looking at hunting in Africa!