AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
Canada, USA, Mexico
Curious if anyone's seen or done this? I own an old 60s sako magnum Mauser in 375 H&H and have dreamt of a 404 Jeffrey for Aslong as I can remember.

I wonder if the action is larger enough or the drop plate would need work aswell to fit the cartridges. Re barrel and some work.

And the previous owner had lead put in the stock and forearm and it's an absolute dream to shoot.

Attachments

• 254E7CCD-AA55-4889-B4EA-B080F49B2AA8.jpg
    254E7CCD-AA55-4889-B4EA-B080F49B2AA8.jpg
    193.5 KB · Views: 1,075
  • 103DD918-2EA5-438B-90CF-860BA1732246.jpg
    103DD918-2EA5-438B-90CF-860BA1732246.jpg
    340.5 KB · Views: 309
  • 06C791A1-E6C3-4C38-99DD-9A1917D61E65.jpg
    06C791A1-E6C3-4C38-99DD-9A1917D61E65.jpg
    208.5 KB · Views: 1,634
Last edited by a moderator:
I believe the cartridges are very similar in overall length. depending on bullet weight, the H&H may actually be shorter. I'd guess that you would be just fine.

Adam,

I don't see why not. I'm sure it would be just like converting any other magnum length Mauser 98 action into a 404 Jeffery. I've been looking into doing this as well, and I know that my "smith" told me that it would be good to start with a magnum length action such as a CZ 550 Magnum, Winchester Model 70 Classic in 375 H&H, or M98 Magnum length action. A little work may be needed on the mag box, especially if you want to hold more than 3 down, feed rails as it is a tad wider in body than the 375 H&H, etc., but overall I think it would be a doable thing. It probably would be good to hear from the gunsmiths on this forum, or those that have done a project like this before, but in mind, it should be pretty straightforward.......

All this 404 Jeffery talk on this forum has me wanting one really bad all of the sudden. Want is the key word, not need......

Very good idea.
Old Sako in 375H&H is very good for 404Jeffery.
My rifle in 404Jeffery I did on the action Mauser 98.
Good luck.
Witold

Last edited:
:E Confused:...surely if you want it then its needed?????? simples problem solved! :D Beers:

Mike, you know what? I think the same way as you.......The problem is, my dear wife (a.k.a. The Boss) does not.....So.............:oops:

I all seriousness, I am talking with Wayne Jacobson at AHR and seriously looking into "acquiring" myself a 404 Jeffery......:whistle:

Adam,

Just curious......

I'm assuming if this was made in the early 60's it is a Sako L61 Finnbear Magnum action? I think that prior to that, maybe in the 1950's that Sako was producing it's rifles on FN Mauser actions.....and they may hold more worth than the L61 Finnbear's, not that those aren't highly sought after actions as well by Sako collectors.

I'm not very familiar with all that is Sako, other than the fact that they have always made damn accurate and very classy rifles....

Maybe some Sako gurus on here can help you out, if you even care about that stuff. I was more curious than anything.......

Nonetheless, I think the action would be a neat action to build the rifle around......

If I recall those older Sako Mausers were FN made actions, which are some of the best. The two rounds are essentially the same length so the only real issue might be mag width and action rails and both might need work to make the fatter round feed properly. It can be done, but probably wont be like a simple rebarrel job.

There is actually an easier way to do this. I had my 404 built on a BRNO 602 in .375 H&H. I had the barrel recut to 404 and minimal action work done to make it function. That way, you don't need a new barrel or to change the lines of the rifle.

Danny Pederson (http://www.cutrifle.com/about-us.html ) has done a bunch of these for me. All shoot and function great.

brettp,

I've heard that Danny does a great job for re-barrel work, re-chambering, action re-work, etc..... At one point, I had looked at Robert Szweda (RMS Custom) to make a custom stock for me. I believe he and Danny work together on a lot of stuff.....

I all seriousness, I am talking with Wayne Jacobson at AHR and seriously looking into "acquiring" myself a 404 Jeffery......:whistle:

well my 404 is very nice and even though it was a 2nd hand as new one from wayne it fits perfectly and looks great. AHR def make some nice pieces (y)

brettp,

I've heard that Danny does a great job for re-barrel work, re-chambering, action re-work, etc..... At one point, I had looked at Robert Szweda (RMS Custom) to make a custom stock for me. I believe he and Danny work together on a lot of stuff.....

I don't know Robert, but Danny has done literally a pile of rifles for me and my dad. We bought a whole bunch of BRNO's in 300 win and 375 and built everything from 338-378wby up to 458 Lott. All shoot really well. I am brining my Lott to Namibia for Elephant next year. It shoots the 500gr Hornady DGS and DGX in a one hole group at 50yds.

He recut one of the 375's to 404 for me and it came out great too.

I wouldn't hesitate to have him do the project that we are talking about here. Not for an instant.

well my 404 is very nice and even though it was a 2nd hand as new one from wayne it fits perfectly and looks great.

So you were the one that bought that rifle a few months ago? I was just asking him the other day if he knew of anymore out there that someone might want to part with on consignment. I joked that I wished now I had pulled the trigger on buying that one a few months ago since I'm now wanting one. That is a very nice rifle. I know you love it. Wayne does a great job for sure. I most likely am going to get him to build me one from a CZ 550 Magnum action like my 450 Rigby.

It was actually bought in 63 I believe but made late 50s. I always thought it was a L61R finnbear for years now but after some mentioned yet Mauser action and I always thought the action didn't look sako, and then checking the serial number. It's not in the range of the L61. The action definitely is a Mauser one.

Adam,

Just curious......

I'm assuming if this was made in the early 60's it is a Sako L61 Finnbear Magnum action? I think that prior to that, maybe in the 1950's that Sako was producing it's rifles on FN Mauser actions.....and they may hold more worth than the L61 Finnbear's, not that those aren't highly sought after actions as well by Sako collectors.

I'm not very familiar with all that is Sako, other than the fact that they have always made damn accurate and very classy rifles....

Maybe some Sako gurus on here can help you out, if you even care about that stuff. I was more curious than anything.......

Nonetheless, I think the action would be a neat action to build the rifle around......

So you were the one that bought that rifle a few months ago? I was just asking him the other day if he knew of anymore out there that someone might want to part with on consignment. I joked that I wished now I had pulled the trigger on buying that one a few months ago since I'm now wanting one. That is a very nice rifle. I know you love it. Wayne does a great job for sure. I most likely am going to get him to build me one from a CZ 550 Magnum action like my 450 Rigby.

i got mine early last year i think it was as it arrived in zambia last oct. there were a couple others on his site a few months later so you could be talking about those. showed those to peteg as he likes mine :D

I had a CZ550 in 375HH converted to 404Jeff, I opted for a Re-barrel the 375 and 404 are very close in length it's the diameter the 404 being a little bigger in diameter, my smith opened up the bolt face and machined the mag box to accept the larger cartridge
IMG_0675.JPG

I agree with Rob404.
My "Jeffery" was built on a standart length 98 Mauser action and had the action and magazine box modified to fit.
I think the same thing should be done in the old Sako magnum Mauser.
Good luck.
Witold

About 15 years ago I had a Win M70 Classic rebarrelled from .338 WM to 375 RUM. The gunsmith said there was trouble getting the RUMs to feed properly with the bottom metal as issued, so he got a follower designed for the RUM case. How this applies to your situation is that the RUM is a blown-out 404 (sort-of), so rebarreling from 375 H&H to 404 J shouldn't present a problem, but you may need to get a different follower in the magazine.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NickolasLe

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

IHC-KB5 wrote on Huvius's profile.
Thanks for catching the Flanged brass - much appreciated!
new updates !

SETH RINGER wrote on RR 314's profile.
HOW MUCH ARE THEY?? PLAIN? CAMO? THX, SETH
USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.