Rolex- the stupidest, lamest company

They've always been good to work with in my experience.

Reactions: CJW
Citizens and Seikos don't get enough credit, to be honest. Citizens are better in terms of their self-charging Eco Drive quartz, Seiko makes some of the toughest auto movements out there. Prior to the advent of the Casio G-Shocks (and then Suuntos, Garmins, etc.), all the serious operators either wore Seikos, Rolex's, and some Citizens. A lot of the operators in the 80's and 90's had Seikos. 90's saw a lot of guys with Citizens. When the digitals came out, though...that was it.

Danish prince, "Frogmen Corps", with a Citizen Aqualand.

View attachment 597476

Some argue that Orient has surpassed Seiko in quality. I have no idea if that's true or not, but they seem to be of similar quality.

Citizen seem to be great watches but where they lack IMO is their styling. They have some very well done watches, maybe 25-30%. The rest are on the verge of being childish or cartoonish maybe? Styled to be colorful and busy for models in ads? Not sure how to describe it exactly. Definitely capable of quality though. They're also not exclusive enough to get that sort of attention.

Some argue that Orient has surpassed Seiko in quality. I have no idea if that's true or not, but they seem to be of similar quality.

Citizen seem to be great watches but where they lack IMO is their styling. They have some very well done watches, maybe 25-30%. The rest are on the verge of being childish or cartoonish maybe? Styled to be colorful and busy for models in ads? Not sure how to describe it exactly. Definitely capable of quality though. They're also not exclusive enough to get that sort of attention.

I can't comment on Orient although I've heard good things. Every Seiko I have is solid. I have a Seiko SKX diver, and a Seiko re-invent of the "Arnie." The SKX auto literally needs adjusting once every couple of months. The Arnie, outside of DST, I haven't had to reset maybe more than once? I've had them 5-6 years.

Citizen I think styles a lot of their divers like a dive watch. Big, bulky, big numbers, hands and lots of function timers. With that being said, they have a fashion component too. But so does Rolex. The Submariner is technically a "tool watch." It's a far throw from something like a big gold DD/DJ, etc.

It's all personal preference. I think Breitlings are abominations of watches, despite being a pretty good watch.

There are good watches in every market.

Casio all the way up to Patek's.

It's all personal preference. I think Breitlings are abominations of watches, despite being a pretty good watch.

I'm a Navitimer, Chronomat, 765 fan. Vintage if I have the option. But past and present they have put out some, IMO, horrible watches.

Anyone have any experience with the IWC Pilot Mark (XX) watches, as far as hard use for daily wear? Water and shock resistance?

Anyone have any experience with the IWC Pilot Mark (XX) watches, as far as hard use for daily wear? Water and shock resistance?
I like the reviews that Teddy does. He's not afraid to point out the bad and still highlight the good.

I like the reviews that Teddy does. He's not afraid to point out the bad and still highlight the good.
thanks for the tip on the reviewer!

I guess they were tired of waiting on the list to get their Rolex! :LOL:

Safe travels

@BeeMaa

20240411_112408.jpg

20240411_113128.jpg

20240411_113151.jpg

20240411_112615.jpg

20240411_112622.jpg

20240411_112712.jpg
20240411_112659.jpg

@CJW - Looking good. Even the dog is licking his chops! :ROFLMAO:

Citizen does a great job with those chronographs. I need to add an Eco-Drive to the collection.

This just came out a few days ago at Watches and Wonders. Tudor’s new Black Bay. I know people used to say that Tudor is a poor man’s Rolex, but now I think they simply appeal to different markets. A bit like choosing a Lexus or Toyota.

Unlike Rolex you can just walk into a store a buy it. I was set on an Omega PO but now this is definitely in the running.

IMG_9042.jpeg

Photo by Bark and Jack

This just came out a few days ago at Watches and Wonders. Tudor’s new Black Bay. I know people used to say that Tudor is a poor man’s Rolex, but now I think they simply appeal to different markets. A bit like choosing a Lexus or Toyota.

Unlike Rolex you can just walk into a store a buy it. I was set on an Omega PO but now this is definitely in the running.

View attachment 598906
Photo by Bark and Jack
That looks really really good

Yes, that one got my attention also. Really well done. That dig on Tudor is one of the dumbest things I hear in the watch world. Tudor stands on its own as an excellent piece. That Black Bay or a Pelagos would be a great option in the Omega PO class.

Tudor is the first company to make a watch that is certified Master Chronometer (0 to +5 seconds/day) by METAS since Omega. It's a big deal. Now having the same movement in a watch that's easier to read (than the original all black design) will expand their appeal and further separate them from Rolex.

I wish I could get over the looks of their "snowflake" hour hand. Just not my style I suppose.

EDIT - I'd also like to see them add some kind of anti-reflective coating to the sapphire crystal and upgrade their bracelet, so the rivets aren't showing on the outside. Small things, but for that price these are things I would expect to be included.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KristineFu

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.
sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.