Rolex- the stupidest, lamest company

Wore my old seadweller every day for 8 years, including while completely ground-up renovating an old home. Drywall, moving load bearing walls, roofing, gardening, etc. I took it off to clean it when I showered, that’s it.

Since then I’ve worn a sub mariner of one stripe or another almost every day (a few exceptions for Deep Seas, Mil gauss, etc). That includes safaris, international business, operating a log splitter, felling trees with a chainsaw, or any other task.

They are designed to be incredibly durable and they are “sport watches” designed for very hard technical use. To wear them only on special occasions is sort of a waste.
I don't want to speak out of turn, but what @rookhawk is describing is a "tool watch". To be used is it's purpose. And to wear it only once in a while goes against it's very design.

Serious question, how many of you would wear your Rolex or Omega, or GS doing farm work, changing oil, or anything along those lines where you know it’s going to get dirty or beat up. I’m genuinely curious about the beatings your watches have taken.
I work in automation so basically anything electromechanical/hydraulic you can think of. They're tool watches, use them.

Serious question, how many of you would wear your Rolex or Omega, or GS doing farm work, changing oil, or anything along those lines where you know it’s going to get dirty or beat up. I’m genuinely curious about the beatings your watches have taken.
IMG_5105.jpg

For reference this is a Sandoz womens/boys diver (lower end 80s Swiss brand with ETA movt) I wore for 3 or 4 years when I was a welder/fabricator. The screw down crown is stripped but it still runs. Very harsh environment for just about anything.

A Rolex is like an English double rifle, it just says "I have arrived, I am now in the more money than brains club". My wife gave me a Rolex Sea Dweller for my 60th, 20 years ago. I would rather have had a double rifle.
Mike

20 years ago a seadweller had an MSRP of $4200. If you have the box and papers, hang tags, the wallet, link tool, polishing cloth, and all the other trimmings, your watch is worth $13,000ish today. 20 years ago a boxlock non-ejector Birmingham double rifle was $8000-$10,000...so it would have been 2x to 2.5x the cost for the gun vs watch 20 years ago.

Sell the watch, you can get yourself a nice vintage boxlock non-ejector 470NE made in Birmingham for even money, $13,000ish.

A Rolex is like an English double rifle, it just says "I have arrived, I am now in the more money than brains club". My wife gave me a Rolex Sea Dweller for my 60th, 20 years ago. I would rather have had a double rifle.
Mike
I think I entered the “more money than brains” club when I was a teenager and got my first paycheck. Now, decades later, my paycheck growth vastly outperforms the brains growth. The moment I think I’ve arrived, there is always a new place to go.

I won't play the Rolex game any more than I'll play the diamond game. I will only invest my time, energy, and money in things that are truly finite and scarce.
I have always thought omega is far better. Rolex fir for Hollywood people.

All day long. Welding, milling work, masonry.

All day long. Welding, milling work, masonry.
Just talked to my wife about not being able to see the digital watch without glasses. Her immediate response was "Wear the Planet Ocean, it's not like you haven't before. If it gets screwed up, we'll get it fixed. No worries babe". So the PO is back in the rotation for my daily driver.

Although this now has me thinking about getting another watch. You guys are killing me.

I just took down a large tree, sawed it up, loaded it into the truck (2 full loads) and hauled it off… all while wearing a Tag Aquaracer 2000…

I’m pretty sure all the chainsaw vibrations gave it a really good wind up :)

Jeez lots of Rolex bashing here, gentlemen. not really sure why. If u dont want one, great. but please dont bash people that do appreciate them. the rolex tool watch lines (sub, gmt, milgaus, explorer) are exceptional timepieces and are remarkably accurate. i used to be in the rolex bashing camp when i first began to collect timepieces, but have since changed my mind. they are amazingly constructed, accurate, and maintain their value. some people buy expensive art, cars, firearms, etc. which i also appreciate. i say, to each his own. my humble 2 cents.

We need to remember, this started out as a Rolex bashing thread.

We Rolex lovers highjacked it first.

I guess I need to start "Holland & Holland - the stupidest, lamest company" for us Heym (or Savage) aficionados!

I just took down a large tree, sawed it up, loaded it into the truck (2 full loads) and hauled it off… all while wearing a Tag Aquaracer 2000…

I’m pretty sure all the chainsaw vibrations gave it a really good wind up :)
I really like AquaRacers! And also their Monaco’s and their Carreras!!! All are very nice watches!

Just talked to my wife about not being able to see the digital watch without glasses. Her immediate response was "Wear the Planet Ocean, it's not like you haven't before. If it gets screwed up, we'll get it fixed. No worries babe". So the PO is back in the rotation for my daily driver.

Although this now has me thinking about getting another watch. You guys are killing me.
But you have the R8 therefore only one rifle and spare change…

One of the best things about these mechanical watches is how they can be bright back from the dead. My father’s old Omega he wore through two wars and test pilot program for the UH-1 was so beat up I couldn’t tell what model it was. Came back from the factory looking new. My niece now wears it.

I have a 1981 Rolex Submariner Navy issued ( I paid $330 and kept it). Deployments to the middle eat and Africa, scuba dive depth of 253 feet , married, divorced and remarried…wore it today building a water storage tank and shoveling gravel.. I live on a farm and wear it or an Explorer every day.

it went to Rolex in Dallas for cleaning a couple years ago. It has sentimental value but I don’t fuss about it

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Roll_the_Knob!

Latest profile posts

sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.
Vonfergus wrote on JamesJ's profile.
I am interested in the Double
Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.