AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
AK WSF, AMM, DSC, GOA, GRAA, NRA, PHASA, SCI, WSF
Hunted
Namibia, South Africa, Zimbabwe and Argentina, Canada, England, Macedonia, Mexico, Serbia, Alaska, USA
Rolex has to be the stupidest, lamest company I've ever dealt with. I want a specific Rolex for the wife. The conversation has gone like this:

[Big Rolex dealer in Boston] "I can neither confirm nor deny that we have that particular watch in stock," [he actually said that] "You'll have to come to our store in Boston to see if we have it." [WTF? He knows I'm in Louisiana. Okay so I'll try a Rolex dealer in NOLA, one that is part of a network of stores] "Very nice watch. We don't have it and neither do our other stores. we can request one from Rolex, it will take two to three weeks to respond whether they are wiling to make it or not, and if so when they will make it. Probably take four months or so if they decide to make it." [Double WTF. This is a watch Rolex currently lists on their website and they might not make it. That's crazy. And three other dealers essentially said the same thing. Rolex has to be the stupidest, lamest company I've ever dealt with.]

Glad I've never given Rolex any of my money, and never will. Oh, btw, I wear a Garmin Tactix Delta all the time, including when I'm hunting.

Working with Rolex at one of their dealers is impossible unless you are an established customer sadly. They have become just like Ferrari with preferred customers, mandatory purchases, and incredible wait times for the rest of us…
The only thing to do is to buy second hand at some of the larger watch dealers or to buy from a reputable independent, I know of a couple if you want to PM me?
I love Rolex watches but the brand, I my eyes, has been diminished because of their sales policies, buy back program, and the culture that surrounds them!
I have become a strong Omega believer! Better watch and no silly games…

Yup, pretty much how they do business.

Artificially limited supply, stupid hoops to jump through during the purchase experience, requests that you buy cheaper / less popular models if you want a specific piece, stupid wait lists and an absolute refusal to even put you down on the list half the time.

I'm absolutely done with them. If I'm a paying customer looking to buy a relatively expensive luxury good, then I absolutely refuse to be condescended to in this manner.

I'm not paying over retail second hand either, so I'll either find a deal somewhere and buy used, or just shop elsewhere.

Really, really frustrating company to deal with, and so unnecessary. Contrast that with my experience with Lange, which is a far more impressive brand and far more exclusive, and it's night and day. Lange offers a real customer experience, Rolex is all about the 'luxury brand' gimmicks.

Whew, looks like I dodged a bullet by never being able to afford one!

THANKFULLY, my phone has a clock!

I’m sorry you had a bad experience, I hope you can find something else your wife likes!

Rolex has to be the stupidest, lamest company I've ever dealt with. I want a specific Rolex for the wife. The conversation has gone like this:

[Big Rolex dealer in Boston] "I can neither confirm nor deny that we have that particular watch in stock," [he actually said that] "You'll have to come to our store in Boston to see if we have it." [WTF? He knows I'm in Louisiana. Okay so I'll try a Rolex dealer in NOLA, one that is part of a network of stores] "Very nice watch. We don't have it and neither do our other stores. we can request one from Rolex, it will take two to three weeks to respond whether they are wiling to make it or not, and if so when they will make it. Probably take four months or so if they decide to make it." [Double WTF. This is a watch Rolex currently lists on their website and they might not make it. That's crazy. And three other dealers essentially said the same thing. Rolex has to be the stupidest, lamest company I've ever dealt with.]

Glad I've never given Rolex any of my money, and never will. Oh, btw, I wear a Garmin Tactix Delta all the time, including when I'm hunting.
Yeah this is part of their marketing strategy to make their watches more “scarce and luxurious”. They now make fewer watches than they used to and make more money. It’s also the main reason I will never own a Rolex

There are many reasons my wife and I have been an Omega family for more than 30 years. This is just one of them.

The vast majority of stores don't want to do business over the phone. They figure you are just looking for the best price and once they say that they have the item and the price that you'll check elsewhere.

In the long run they want you in their store.

If you want a Rolex, you head to Bucherer (which is now owned by Rolex) and get what you want. Largest Rolex dealer.

The vast majority of stores don't want to do business over the phone. They figure you are just looking for the best price and once they say that they have the item and the price that you'll check elsewhere.

Never could rationalize the outrageous prices for "just a fancy watch." I wear a self winding Wyler Starfire dive watch that I bought back in the 70s. I've had others but when they fail the old Wyler comes out. It just goes and goes.

Never could rationalize the outrageous prices for "just a fancy watch." I wear a self winding Wyler Starfire dive watch that I bought back in the 70s. I've had others but when they fail the old Wyler comes out. It just goes and goes.
I had a self winding Wyler for years. I bought it when I was in high school and wore it all through college. I finally killed it when I was working in the oil fields running a jackhammer.

I won't play the Rolex game any more than I'll play the diamond game. I will only invest my time, energy, and money in things that are truly finite and scarce.

If I wanted a watch I would give serious consideration to one of their vintage designs from a reputable used dealer.

My experience is that Rolex don't even want you then, unless you're likely to be spending millions or can be a 'brand ambassador' for them (whatever that means).

I played their silly games for my Milgauss.

Went to the store, looked at the piece, said I'd take it.
"Oh no, that's the show model".
Said I didn't mind, but they told me they wouldn't sell me it, but that I could get on a wait list. I said fine and asked for a time estimate on delivery.
"Oh, Rolex don't tell us that".
I said fine, gave them my phone number.
"But if you were to buy another model as well, I'm sure we could expedite it...".
I said no and walked out. Nine months later, got a call.
"A Milgauss just came in, we can't hold it for you, but if you're here in the next 4 hours before it goes on display, you can probably buy it."
I dropped everything and went, got my Milgauss.

A couple years later I'd just finished my MBA and fancied a Skydweller. Off I went to the Chicago store.

Looked at the piece, said I'd take it.
"Oh no, that's the display model..."
Here we go again.
"Fine, I'll waitlist."
"Oh, you can try if you like, but you're a customer with no established relationship, your chances aren't high..."
What do you mean I said, I'm literally wearing my Milgauss?
"Where'd you buy it?"
Birmingham, UK.
"Oh no, that's Rolex Europe, this is Rolex USA. But if you were to put in for two or three cheaper pieces, I'm sure we can sort out a Skydweller as well".

Having been basically told that I was a peasant with no business being allowed the privilege of dropping a large chunk of change on the piece I actually wanted, I told 'em to play with themselves and spent more money elsewhere.

It's a shame as I rather like a couple of their models. But I will not put up with this sort of rubbish. I'm just not doing it. Buying something like that is supposed to be an enjoyable experience, yet every time I interact with Rolex it leaves a real sour taste. At this point, they either change the sales model, or they're dead to me. I fear the latter is more likely.

I would be beyond shocked if you got anything other than a very plain just date in 4 months. I am on the wait list for something I really want, I would be surprised if it is here in less than two years.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MichelineP

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you