PH and Hunting Guides Salaries

Masai

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
Hi! I open this thread to throw some light around what everyone in the industry makes. I worked 11 years as a full time hunting guide in Spain and still connected to the industry.
Here is the first batch of information and would appreciate if we all chip in our knowledge.

In Spain back in 2013 salary for experienced hunting guide was $90-$100 per day and around 0,30Euros per Km for using your own car during the hunt.
Now, ten years later, the salary is 120-150Euros per day and 0,40 per km
Back then, I would expect to make anywhere between $100 per day or $300 per trophy in tips,,, this was a formula I came up with after guiding MANY hunts. Meaning that tips it use to represent 50% of the income.

Im attaching a photo from when I could still hike:LOL:
1451551_10153537372785203_1108375595_n.jpg

Welcome to AH!
I might be wrong but I think you will have a difficult time trying to get operators to offer up their income/tips on a public forum or any forum for that matter.

Looks like beautiful terrain in your picture!

Welcome to AH!
I might be wrong but I think you will have a difficult time trying to get operators to offer up their income/tips on a public forum or any forum for that matter.

Looks like beautiful terrain in your picture!
you may be right, but I think it would help every guide to know what the others are making to know if they should be asking for higher pay

you may be right, but I think it would help every guide to know what the others are making to know if they should be asking for higher pay
And sit without a job....

Freelance PH's work on a basic daily rate and rely heavily on tips...
Bear in mind that it is a seasonal affair and not easy to bòok hunting days in total for the season....

Freelance PH's work on a basic daily rate and rely heavily on tips...
Bear in mind that it is a seasonal affair and not easy to bòok hunting days in total for the season....
You are right, but back when I was guiding I had around 180-210 days a year of "guiding days". Fortunately in Spain between one another species, you can hunt pretty much all year round... so it can be considered a full-time occupation.

Yeah not sure many will chime in on this one.

I can tell you most deer guides in Texas get $200-$400 per day as a average bracket and in general get $25-$100 PER day tip.
Vehicle/gas reimbursement, maybe food/lodging type benefits vary from ranch to ranch.

So IVW if you get hurt while working what happens? Are just sol?

That’s bad. I spoke with one of forum members about starting a fund to help these phs in case of emergency, but it went nowhere. I still think it’s a good idea, sort like wounded warriors.

DSC has a fund of some sort to assist PH's.
Various PH Associations do some mutual aid work.
There have been various successful fund raising campaigns to assist specific cases.

There is no insurance company that would cover a PH providing premiums that would be affordable.

I would like to get something going to help, don’t know how yet.

i wont list what i pay phs or guides but what i will say is it varies a lot from person to person.
based on experience, personality, ability and what they bring with them to the table. so it could vary as much as 3X from person to person

benefits can also be huge from co to co, food, drink, fuel, etc etc

i think its very irresponsible of PHs to not have medical aid or income protection cover, maybe there is an opening here for insurance co's to create a specific product

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
noafrica4me

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you