One cartridge to hunt dangerous game for the rest of your life and it can't be a 375, what are you going with?

No surprise, my CZ 550 in 500 Jeffery. Gorgeous, powerful, reliable and recoil is but a maiden's kiss ...

full

Last edited by a moderator:
Of the ones I have… either 416 Remington or 450 Watts. Likely the 416 Remington because it the more versatile.

.450-.400 NE 3” Westley Richards drop lock SxS with 26” ejector barrels.
Rear sight —> fixed blade with wide shallow “V” notch.
Large white bead on the front sight.
Rifle weight @ 10 pounds and stocked to fit me in outrageously beautiful English walnut.

However, a Heym Model 89 would do quite nicely.

.450-.400 NE 3” Westley Richards drop lock SxS with 26” ejector barrels.
Rear sight —> fixed blade with wide shallow “V” notch.
Large white bead on the front sight.
Rifle weight @ 10 pounds and stocked to fit me in outrageously beautiful English walnut.

However, a Heym Model 89 would do quite nicely.
Go with the WR . Got one in 450/400 . A sidelock . Just over 10 lbs . Just a fabulous rifle to shoot . One with hand detachable locks would be fantastic .

Know zero about reloading...but how can a shorter case be loaded more than a longer case....surely if you apply what you say to the lott it will still outperform the win mag?......

Ahhhh, why'd you have to go and do that...

Here it comes..

Just when we thought it wouldn’t happen again here comes the onslaught of crazy ballistics for the extreme hand loaders out there…stirring the pot and tongue firmly in cheek…458Lott is far superior to 458WM and it’s not even debatable:)

HH

Say, which of those two cycle better when you're chambering a cartridge from the magazine with the rifle upside down while laying on your back? AND, is there any velocity difference when firing the same two cartridges from a push feed vs. a CRF actioned rifle? LOL
Personally, I prefer a .22 LR for deer...

(... he says, in a desperate attempt to change the subject...)
And I'll help....or not.

The 22Lr is known to be successful on deer with proper shot placement and at relatively close ranges. But why? When one can use a 22 mag with better velocity using the same weight or a heavier bullet at a longer range.:A Stirring::A Outta::D Pop Popcorn::E Rofl:

And back to the Original Post. Please.

Last edited:
No surprise, my CZ 550 in 500 Jeffery. Gorgeous, powerful, reliable and recoil is but a maiden's kiss ...

full
I cringe to think about what the maidens look like that have kissed you with that amount of recoil? LOL

Last edited by a moderator:
And I'll help....or not.

The 22Lr is known to be successful on deer with proper shot placement and at relatively close ranges. But why? When one can use a 22 mag with better velocity using the same weight or a heavier bullet at a longer range.:A Stirring::A Outta::D Pop Popcorn::E Rofl:

And back to the Original Post. Please.
Yeah, I’d use a 40gr. Woodleigh PP in the .22 Mag for deer or jackals. LOL

Personally, I prefer a .22 LR for deer...

(... he says, in a desperate attempt to change the subject...)
With a Swift A Frame or Woodleigh Hydro bullet?

10.75x68 with a hand loaded 400 gr quality bullet. You get 2150 fps and tonnes of energy in a light rifle with no feeding issues and good magazine capacity. This is essentially original 404 J ballistics which made the round famous. Experts on this site universally agree a bullet of 40 cal or greater going 2150 fps will kill anything on the planet.

When did you slip a Selous into the stable? Pics please!

Sorry Toby, I should have been more specific. When I wrote "R8 PH Selous", I meant that my R8 .458 Lott is a PH (synthetic stock with steel insert) with Selous barrel.
I am done taking $20k rifles with exhibition wood through airports and to the fields. Too many things I cannot control...

Sorry Toby, I should have been more specific. When I wrote "R8 PH Selous", I meant that my R8 .458 Lott is a PH (synthetic stock with steel insert) with Selous barrel.
I am done taking $20k rifles with exhibition wood through airports and to the fields. Too many things I cannot control...
I agree. The wood stocks do look nice, but not when bouncing around in a Land Cruiser. Both of my current R8 rifles are the standard professional model. Those stocks fit me like a glove, and no worries about scratching them.

CZ 450 Rigby Rimless

505 gibbs. As many have said i have one and bloody well love the thing

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarinTill6

Latest profile posts

USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.
SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.