New member from Minnesota

Hello friends! I am a new member from Minnesota. I have hunted deer and bear and am planning my first African hunt . Looking at South Africa and interested in buffalo. Been thinking about this for many years. Plan on using a 375 H and H. I am overwhelmed with finding an outfitter. Any tips would be appreciated. Happy to be here!
Welcome to AH

Welcome, glad to see another Minnesotan join the group! I hunted with @BAYLY SIPPEL SAFARIS last July and it was a great experience. I hunted plains game but will be returning soon hopefully for a buff hunt, they shoot some really nice ones.
Looking very forward to that!!! Would be great to see you again Reed. Send regards to your dad!

Kind regards,
Dempsey Bayly & Michael Sippel

The .375 is an excellent all round rifle for Africa! We look forward to future hunting reports.

Welcome to AH! Lots of great info and resources here.
My son and I had a great time with @BAYLY SIPPEL SAFARIS last year...I posted a hunt report here if you feel like having a look....
https://www.africahunting.com/threa...buffalo-hunt-with-bayly-sippel-safaris.76961/
Good luck to you...
IMG_4220.JPG

I'm just north of the border. Been to RSA four times hunting the Eastern Cape. Same outfitter every trip but he doesn't advertise on here so ...

I would say for the species you're looking at harvesting, 375 is just a bit over the top. I took this wildebeest at 370 yards and even that was too far for my 30-06. Way too far for 375. My PH let me use his 270 WSM.
20210824_102410.jpg

And two days later this kudu at 440 yards with the same rifle.
17142328080134830675222916231413.jpg

If hunting springbuck, your shots are typically beyond 375 range (not always) and the animals are small yet very pretty. Try to save the skins. Warthog are also not very big and good eating. Shooting one with a large caliber rifle may not be the best plan in my opinion. Unnecessarily wasteful. Also, they are very flighty critters (everything wants to eat them!), especially up close. Longer shots may provide more opportunities. Yes, many do use 375 for African plains game but curiously the same guys would never use a 375 to hunt similar size big game on this side of the pond. I spent a lifetime hunting elk and moose with 30-06 and never considered myself undergunned. I have 24 plains game on the wall and three more on the way. All but the two above were taken with 30-06. Two springbuck and one impala were pushing the range limitations of that caliber with 165 Partitions. Both dropped on the spot. I would suggest taking two rifles. Never a bad idea anyway in case one goes kaput. A new scope broke on my first trip and I switched to a camp gun 30-06 with no time to check it at the range. Turns out it was over a foot low at 200 yards. Fortunately, the kudu bull gave me a second opportunity later at 330 yards. I made adjustment and dropped him just before sunset of my last day hunting.

welcome from next door, So Dakota. don't forget contact Jennifer at @TRAVEL EXPRESS for your travel needs she is great and will get you there and back

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Malfowle

Latest profile posts

IHC-KB5 wrote on Huvius's profile.
Thanks for catching the Flanged brass - much appreciated!
new updates !

SETH RINGER wrote on RR 314's profile.
HOW MUCH ARE THEY?? PLAIN? CAMO? THX, SETH
USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.