NAMIBIA: SOUTH AFRICA: Success In Namibia For Leopard & More

Mnovak

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
I just returned from a successful leopard hunt in Namibia. I was able to connect with a nice big male leopard on the second day of a 14 day hunt. The outfitter was top notch, had several bait sites pre baited and knew where he had cats to go after. Also having hundreds of thousands of acres available made the opportunity of success much greater.

After arriving in Namibia day 1 we set out for a full day of driving to check several bait sites and cameras. We had several cats on bait, females and younger males we also had a mature male on a bait and the decision was easy, after reviewing camera footage and measuring tracks the outfitter and I aligned on targeting this cat.

Day 2 we brushed in a pop up blind 73 yards from the bait in a location which offered the best cover and opportunity for success. With allot of trimming and blind covering we were able to make the hide unnoticeable. The cat had been on the bait for 2 days and the outfitter said it would probably only be there one or two days more, we had to hunt him ASAP before he moved on. The previous night the cat arrived at 6 pm and visited the bait off and on through the night until morning along with a brown hyena, staying until around 8 am. We couldn’t get into the blind for a morning hunt without risking bumping the cat so we sat at 3pm that afternoon. At roughly 6:30 pm the cat came in! Before an adrenaline rush could give me the shakes and before the cat got to the bait as soon as he was broad side I let him have it. The 300 WM meet its mark through the shoulders of the cat and the wait was over, I had my leopard! Adrenaline shakes, celebratory hand shakes, maybe a hug between the PH and myself to say I was ecstatic is an understatement. Day 2 and I’m done, leopard harvested.

Day 3 we relaxed after a late evening of celebrating and much alcohol drank. We lounged around the lodge and relaxed. The outfitter offered to take us to the ocean so we decided to visit Walvis Bay Area.

Days 4-6 We traveled a couple hours to Walvis Bay, we went fishing the next morning my buddy catching a 40+ pound Cob fish which we had a local restaurant prepare. It was a very good eating fish. We caught several smaller Cob’s as well. We ate seafood, some of the best calamari I’ve ever had, did some sight seeing and shopping and drank lots of beer! What a great experience!

Days 7-16 we flew back to SA and visited the Kalahari where my buddy shot a lioness. I harvested a blue wildebeest and a warthog, my girlfriend harvested a Steenbuck. We went on to the Northwest and Freestate areas where I harvested a Bush Buck and a porcupine. We took a day to shoot some doves as well. Great camps and great memories made.

We had a very memorable top notch experience in Namibia and SA with Willie Nel @ https://wnhuntingsafaris.co.za/
I highly recommend them if you’re looking for leopard or anything else in Africa.

IMG_1619.jpeg
IMG_1618.jpeg
IMG_1620.jpeg
IMG_1621.jpeg
IMG_1622.jpeg
IMG_1613.jpeg
IMG_1614.jpeg
IMG_1144.jpeg
IMG_5168.jpeg
IMG_1342.jpeg
IMG_1279.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Congratulations on your leopard. They are truly special and beautiful trophies. Happy hunting, TheGrayRider.

Wow, what a trip! Thanks for sharing.

Nicely done! Leopard are usually not that cooperative. The Wildebeest photo is awesome. I love the sky colors in the photo.

I just returned from a successful leopard hunt in Namibia. I was able to connect with a nice big male leopard on the second day of a 14 day hunt. The outfitter was top notch, had several bait sites pre baited and knew where he had cats to go after. Also having hundreds of thousands of acres available made the opportunity of success much greater. After arriving in Namibia day 1 we set out for a full day of driving to check several bait sites and cameras. We had several cats on bait, females and younger males we had a mature male on a bait and the decision was easy, after reviewing camera footage and measuring tracks the outfitter and I aligned on targeting this cat. Day2 we brushed in a pop up blind 73 yards from the bait in a location which offered the best cover and opportunity for success. With allot of trimming and blind covering we were able to make the hide unnoticeable. The cat had been on the bait for 2 days and the outfitter said it would probably only be there one or two days more, we had to hunt him ASAP before he moved on. The previous night the cat arrived at 6 pm and visited the bait off and on through the night until morning along with a brown hyena, staying until around 8 am. We couldn’t get into the blind for a morning hunt without risking bumping the cat so we sat at 3pm that afternoon. At roughly 6:30 pm the cat came in! Before an adrenaline rush could give me the shakes and before the cat got to the bait as soon as he was broad side I let him have it. The 300 WM meet its mark through the shoulders of the cat and the wait was over, I had my leopard! Adrenaline shakes, celebratory hand shakes, maybe a hug between the PH and myself to say I was ecstatic is an understatement. Day 2 and I’m done, leopard harvested.

Day 3 we relaxed after a late evening of celebrating and much alcohol drank. We lounged around the lodge and relaxed. The outfitter offered to take us to the ocean so we decided to visit Walvis Bay Area.

Days 4-6 We traveled a couple hours to Walvis Bay, we went fishing the next morning my buddy catching a 40+ pound Cob fish which we had a local restaurant prepare. It was a very good eating fish. We caught several smaller Cob’s as well. We ate seafood, some of the best calamari I’ve ever had, did some sight seeing and shopping and drank lots of beer! What a great experience!

Days 7-16 we flew back to SA and visited the Kalahari where my buddy shot a lioness. I harvested a blue wildebeest and a warthog, my girlfriend harvested a Steenbuck. We went on to the Northwest and Freestate areas where I harvested a Bush Buck and a porcupine. We took a day to shoot some doves as well. Great camps and great memories made.

We had a very memorable top notch experience in Namibia and SA with Willie Nel @ https://wnhuntingsafaris.co.za/
I highly recommend them if you’re looking for leopard or anything else in Africa.
Just so awesome!!! Congratulations and well done!!!

Congratulations on getting a nice Leopard. I love that Bushbuck!
Thanks for sharing your hunt.

Congrats and thanks for sharing!

I just returned from a successful leopard hunt in Namibia. I was able to connect with a nice big male leopard on the second day of a 14 day hunt. The outfitter was top notch, had several bait sites pre baited and knew where he had cats to go after. Also having hundreds of thousands of acres available made the opportunity of success much greater.

After arriving in Namibia day 1 we set out for a full day of driving to check several bait sites and cameras. We had several cats on bait, females and younger males we also had a mature male on a bait and the decision was easy, after reviewing camera footage and measuring tracks the outfitter and I aligned on targeting this cat.

Day 2 we brushed in a pop up blind 73 yards from the bait in a location which offered the best cover and opportunity for success. With allot of trimming and blind covering we were able to make the hide unnoticeable. The cat had been on the bait for 2 days and the outfitter said it would probably only be there one or two days more, we had to hunt him ASAP before he moved on. The previous night the cat arrived at 6 pm and visited the bait off and on through the night until morning along with a brown hyena, staying until around 8 am. We couldn’t get into the blind for a morning hunt without risking bumping the cat so we sat at 3pm that afternoon. At roughly 6:30 pm the cat came in! Before an adrenaline rush could give me the shakes and before the cat got to the bait as soon as he was broad side I let him have it. The 300 WM meet its mark through the shoulders of the cat and the wait was over, I had my leopard! Adrenaline shakes, celebratory hand shakes, maybe a hug between the PH and myself to say I was ecstatic is an understatement. Day 2 and I’m done, leopard harvested.

View attachment 558302View attachment 558303View attachment 558305View attachment 558306View attachment 558307View attachment 558309View attachment 558310View attachment 558311View attachment 558312View attachment 558313View attachment 558314
WOW, what a nice Leopard and a great recap of the hunt. Congratulations and also on making a good shot at “73 yrds” which is Not close under the circumstances. I never hunted Leopard - but thought the shot & blind set up would be closer (40-50 yds)....Not sure I could keep calm enough to make a perfect hit at that distance (maybe with some Valium !). Your cat also seems to have an old scared up face - what a Trophy !

View attachment 558303View attachment 558305View attachment 558306View attachment 558307View attachment 558309View attachment 558310View attachment 558311View attachment 558312View attachment 558313View attachment 558314
A question regarding your Leopard and the “estimate” of it’s size based on it’s Track measurement & also trail cam photo - how close was your PH’s estimate? And which was the better predictor: track measurement or Photo?
It’s a good cat regardless and I would be “thrilled” to take one that good.. I just wonder how close PH’s can estimate based on a Track? Even with good trail cam pictures - are they looking at the head, neck & shoulder hump? Lastly, any estimate on it’s age? Does a Leopards skull measurement keep increasing even after their body deteriorates with age (like a Mountain Lion)... Lot’s of curiosity questions I know — Regards,

Wonderful trip! Congratulations to you all!

Congrats on the leopard!

Great hunt, congrats, and thanks for sharing !

That's a nice kitty. Thanks for sharing! Wmh!

A question regarding your Leopard and the “estimate” of it’s size based on it’s Track measurement & also trail cam photo - how close was your PH’s estimate? And which was the better predictor: track measurement or Photo?
It’s a good cat regardless and I would be “thrilled” to take one that good.. I just wonder how close PH’s can estimate based on a Track? Even with good trail cam pictures - are they looking at the head, neck & shoulder hump? Lastly, any estimate on it’s age? Does a Leopards skull measurement keep increasing even after their body deteriorates with age (like a Mountain Lion)... Lot’s of curiosity questions I know — Regards,
I’ll attempt to answer your questions based on what I was told by the outfitter. They target cats with a pad worth of 2 1/2” minimum. This tells them that it’s mature cat. The trail camera pics helped as well. The PH told me that yes there are bigger cats but that this was a mature male that ran the area we were in. He referred to the scarred face, dark yellow on top of his neck and dark yellow balls, lol. He said they were all identifiers of a mature cat. He estimated the cat to be 7-8 years old with a normal life span of 10-12 years. I assume they continue to grow like mountain lions but cannot confirm, that’s just an assumption. The choice I was given was to pass a mature cat on day 2 and look for a larger bodied cat if I wanted or to take the opportunity in front of me and try to harvest this cat. Obviously I choose to go after this guy. I never pass something on the first day that I would be proud to harvest on the last day. I’m very proud of my leopard and look forward to having him in my trophy room. He will be a beautiful addition and the memories will last forever.

Congrats
Sounds like a great hunt and looks like a great cat

Last edited by a moderator:
Congrats on your success! Some gnarly scars on that Tom. Well done.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OdetteBlam

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you