Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA Life Member, SCI
Hunted
Namibia, RSA, Argentina, Mexico, Canada, USA
Quick trip report (my first trip report) regarding our recent plains game hunt with @Kowas Adventure Safaris in Namibia. This report focuses more on the travel logistics then the actual hunting (though the hunting was fantastic) due to folk’s questions and concerns about COVID travel issues. We really had no travel problems or issues at all. As long as you know each country’s COVID requirements and have hard copy documentation of negative PCR test results you are in good shape. (The rapid tests are not typically accepted.) We filled out health questionnaires several times along the way, but that was easy enough. And, we never felt unsafe or exposed while traveling. We found that everyone is just trying to stay medically safe. We left Houston on Sept 1 and returned on Sept 12.

We flew on Delta (Houston to Atlanta to Joburg) and Airlink (Joburg to Windhoek). All flights were on time with no issues. My only brief delay was a poorly trained Delta gate agent in Houston that was unable to check us in. Her supervisor got us checked in about 10 minutes. You have to wear masks in airports and on airplanes, but you get used to it. I like the lightweight blue surgical masks. I wear it for about 6-8 hours, throw it away and then get a new one out. On the positive side, Delta has really upped their game. They are much more efficient and customer oriented than a few years ago. We flew Premium Select class, which I highly recommend – bigger seats, free alcohol and you board before economy class. It is a great value for the price. (It looked like there were about 20 adult male hunters on the Delta flights, plus some spouses and a few children.) No issues on the Airlink flights. Airlink charged us $105 for gun & luggage on departure and $45 on the return flight (with no explanation why the difference.) But, you must pre-book your rifles on Airlink several days beforehand or they will not accept them. This is very important.

Regarding carrying American cash, we took a few hundred dollars in small bills for tips along the way. Tips to the PH & staff were added to our safari bill and paid with our CC. We were able to use our credit cards for everything along the way, so the need for cash was very minimal. I carried large sums of cash on previous trips, but have found that to be an unnecessary risk.

As usual, ammo has to be in locked cases and under the weight limit (11 lbs?). The locked case can be inside your luggage, except on Airlink. It must be outside of your luggage on Airlink and travel as a separate bag. On the return trip, I threw it back in my luggage in Atlanta.

We had to claim baggage and clear customs at our “port of entry” in Atlanta on the return trip. This process was far more streamlined than previous trips. From deplaning to sitting at the gate awaiting our next flight took only one hour. But, we saved 30 – 45 minutes because we are US Global Entry members and did not have to wait in the passport line. I highly recommend Global Entry memberships. I think it costs about $100 per person for 5 years.
Next I’ve got to commend all the people that did the heavy lifting – they planned and prepared us for any issues we might encounter.

A big thanks to the Strauss family and staff (Ansie, Danie, Jacques, Eleni, Joshua, Elizabeth, Matheus & Michael) at Kowas for making it such a great hunting experience and relaxing vacation. (Harvested 11 animals.) My wife is not a hunter and she also had a really wonderful time. She and Ansie spent a couple days at Erindi Resort / game park – saw lots of animals and had a great time. Heavy rains early this year in Namibia provided lots of grass & vegetation and plenty of big, healthy animals to chase. It was my best hunting experience in Africa to date. It is truly a beautiful place. If you haven’t been to Kowas I recommend planning a trip. They are good people. They also have a dangerous game lodge in the Caprivi. My buddy reported that he had a really great experience harvesting Cape Buffalo there.

Next, I want to recommend engaging Afton House in Joburg to expedite rifles through SAPS and guide you through Tambo airport. If you need to overnight or spend a long layover in Joburg, Afton House is the place to do it. Elize, Richard, Wisdom, Christinah, Jacob and Mr. X made our overnight and our return layover visit in Joburg very relaxing and enjoyable. I highly recommend Afton House to any Joburg visitors. We got to meet several other Africa hunters there and swap stories with drinks around a campfire for a few hours before getting some sleep.

Finally, I want to thank Jennifer Ginn at @TRAVEL EXPRESS for make all our travel arrangements and advising us of everything we needed to do beforehand to make our trip pleasant and trouble free. She is also the person that recommended Afton House and Delta’s Premium Select class, which was a great upgrade. A first class travel agent is a must for an overseas hunting trip.

In summary, I highly recommend carrying two hard copies of all forms, documents, itineraries, PCR tests and passports. It will speed your movement through the various checkpoints versus trying to show the stored documents on your phone. With the exception of pre and post hunt COVID tests and a few more health forms to fill out the trip was very similar to my other trips to Africa – just follow the guidance from the industry professionals and you should have a safe, enjoyable trip. Now a few pics...

Best Regards, Steve

IMG_9692.JPG
IMG_9600.JPG
IMG_9551.JPG
IMG_9745.JPG
IMG_9574.JPG
IMG_9878.JPG
IMG_9939.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
I’m 6 days from heading to Kowas. This is great info for us to have.
We used Lori and Jennifer as well but will be traveling through Doha-Joberg-Windhoek via Qatar Air.
That Eland is my dream animal. Great animals and sounds like a great trip. Congratulations and thanks for the info.

Congrats on some great animals! Headed to Kowas in a week. Appreciate the info.

Quick trip report (my first trip report) regarding our recent plains game hunt with @Kowas Adventure Safaris in Namibia. This report focuses more on the travel logistics then the actual hunting (though the hunting was fantastic) due to folk’s questions and concerns about COVID travel issues. We really had no travel problems or issues at all. As long as you know each country’s COVID requirements and have hard copy documentation of negative PCR test results you are in good shape. (The rapid tests are not typically accepted.) We filled out health questionnaires several times along the way, but that was easy enough. And, we never felt unsafe or exposed while traveling. We found that everyone is just trying to stay medically safe. We left Houston on Sept 1 and returned on Sept 12.

We flew on Delta (Houston to Atlanta to Joburg) and Airlink (Joburg to Windhoek). All flights were on time with no issues. My only brief delay was a poorly trained Delta gate agent in Houston that was unable to check us in. Her supervisor got us checked in about 10 minutes. You have to wear masks in airports and on airplanes, but you get used to it. I like the lightweight blue surgical masks. I wear it for about 6-8 hours, throw it away and then get a new one out. On the positive side, Delta has really upped their game. They are much more efficient and customer oriented than a few years ago. We flew Premium Select class, which I highly recommend – bigger seats, free alcohol and you board before economy class. It is a great value for the price. (It looked like there were about 20 adult male hunters on the Delta flights, plus some spouses and a few children.) No issues on the Airlink flights. Airlink charged us $105 for gun & luggage on departure and $45 on the return flight (with no explanation why the difference.) But, you must pre-book your rifles on Airlink several days beforehand or they will not accept them. This is very important.

Regarding carrying American cash, we took a few hundred dollars in small bills for tips along the way. Tips to the PH & staff were added to our safari bill and paid with our CC. We were able to use our credit cards for everything along the way, so the need for cash was very minimal. I carried large sums of cash on previous trips, but have found that to be an unnecessary risk.

As usual, ammo has to be in locked cases and under the weight limit (11 lbs?). The locked case can be inside your luggage, except on Airlink. It must be outside of your luggage on Airlink and travel as a separate bag. On the return trip, I threw it back in my luggage in Atlanta.

We had to claim baggage and clear customs at our “port of entry” in Atlanta on the return trip. This process was far more streamlined than previous trips. From deplaning to sitting at the gate awaiting our next flight took only one hour. But, we saved 30 – 45 minutes because we are US Global Entry members and did not have to wait in the passport line. I highly recommend Global Entry memberships. I think it costs about $100 per person for 5 years.
Next I’ve got to commend all the people that did the heavy lifting – they planned and prepared us for any issues we might encounter.

A big thanks to the Strauss family and staff (Ansie, Danie, Jacques, Eleni, Joshua, Elizabeth, Matheus & Michael) at Kowas for making it such a great hunting experience and relaxing vacation. (Harvested 11 animals.) My wife is not a hunter and she also had a really wonderful time. She and Ansie spent a couple days at Erindi Resort / game park – saw lots of animals and had a great time. Heavy rains early this year in Namibia provided lots of grass & vegetation and plenty of big, healthy animals to chase. It was my best hunting experience in Africa to date. It is truly a beautiful place. If you haven’t been to Kowas I recommend planning a trip. They are good people. They also have a dangerous game lodge in the Caprivi. My buddy reported that he had a really great experience harvesting Cape Buffalo there.

Next, I want to recommend engaging Afton House in Joburg to expedite rifles through SAPS and guide you through Tambo airport. If you need to overnight or spend a long layover in Joburg, Afton House is the place to do it. Elize, Richard, Wisdom, Christinah, Jacob and Mr. X made our overnight and our return layover visit in Joburg very relaxing and enjoyable. I highly recommend Afton House to any Joburg visitors. We got to meet several other Africa hunters there and swap stories with drinks around a campfire for a few hours before getting some sleep.

Finally, I want to thank Jennifer Ginn at @TRAVEL EXPRESS for make all our travel arrangements and advising us of everything we needed to do beforehand to make our trip pleasant and trouble free. She is also the person that recommended Afton House and Delta’s Premium Select class, which was a great upgrade. A first class travel agent is a must for an overseas hunting trip.

In summary, I highly recommend carrying two hard copies of all forms, documents, itineraries, PCR tests and passports. It will speed your movement through the various checkpoints versus trying to show the stored documents on your phone. With the exception of pre and post hunt COVID tests and a few more health forms to fill out the trip was very similar to my other trips to Africa – just follow the guidance from the industry professionals and you should have a safe, enjoyable trip. Now a few pics...

Best Regards, Steve

View attachment 425097View attachment 425100View attachment 425101View attachment 425102View attachment 425103View attachment 425104View attachment 425105
Thanks for your report. Your advice tracks with mine. Your friend, Brian

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the congrats. If anyone has any questions about my recent travel or hunting experience in Namibia, just send me a message. I'm glad to share any information I have and to help promote African hunting. Can't wait for the DSC and SCI conventions!

Thank you @Steve M , and great report!

Fantastic report and some great animals there. Congratulations!

I've got a very similar trip planned with Kowas for 10 months from now. I just booked our Delta flights with Jennifer and went with the Premium Select class as well. Glad to hear it's worth it. I'm taking my wife and kids for a grand 40th birthday, first safari adventure...I can't wait!

Looks like you had a great time and those are some great animals! Congrats

Congratulations on fine hunt! Who was your PH, Jacques or Matheus?

I am envious of the folks heading to Kowas soon. They are top notch and you'll have the trip of a lifetime. (y)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tooter57

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Vonfergus wrote on JamesJ's profile.
I am interested in the Double
Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!