Meals while on Safari

Discussion in 'Hunting Africa' started by TOM, Dec 28, 2010.

1. TOM

TOM AH Elite

My Photos:
    Member of:
    SCI,DSC, QDMA, QU
    Hunted:
    Africa...are there other continents to hunt?
    I love food. As my waist continues to grow, i remember some of the fresh and delicious meals i've had in Africa. For anyone who is worried about the food in africa, don't! Here are some of my favorite meals from safari.

This is a breakfast at Afton house. Doesn't get much more fresh or appetizing than this.

[​IMG]

Gemsbok Ka-bobs with Spiral Horn Safaris. This has to be one of my favorite all time.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

SUDZA (sp?) with minced beef, cabbage, etc. Ate this every day for lunch on my Zim cape buffalo hunt. With salt it is pretty dang good. The sudza gets a little old after a while though. I don't know how africans eat it day in and day out. It is made from corn but has a similar consistency to mashed potatoes....but not as good as mashed potatoes.
    [​IMG]

Last little bit of a Kudu filet. Yumm.
    [​IMG]

Rack of Lamb. Louis from Spiral Horn was the master griller. Never been a fan of lamb until i went to africa.
    [​IMG]

FRESH salad.
    [​IMG]

Breakfast cooking over an open fire in a unique pan/grill made from a tractor disc welded to a T post with legs.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Zimbabwe bush chefs.
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. TOM

TOM AH Elite

My Photos:
    Member of:
    SCI,DSC, QDMA, QU
    Hunted:
    All of the different condiments and sauces are really neat as well. Stuff that just isn't available over here. TRY MONKEYGLAND sauce if you get the chance!!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

3. Thunder head

Thunder head AH Enthusiast

My Photos:
    Member of:
    NWTF, NRA
    Oh yeah
    Kudu filets
    Impala tenderloin
    eland steaks
    And my favorite/ Gemsbok stew
  4. Bushbuck

Bushbuck AH Enthusiast

Sadza or Pap is the staple food of Africa. I have seen it served for all three meals, but liked it best with a chunky tomato sauce as a bush lunch with Game sausage. I would compare it more to our Grits than mashed potatoes.
    I dont think I have had a bad meal in africa. The meat is fantastic.
  5. TOM

TOM AH Elite

My Photos:
    Member of:
    SCI,DSC, QDMA, QU
    Hunted:
    I would agree. It is more like Grits than mash.
  6. PHOENIX PHIL

PHOENIX PHIL AH Legend

My Photos:
    Member of:
    SCI
    Hunted:
    USA, S. Africa
    I liked it, but yes it needs something on it. The breakfast from Afton was a pleasant memory. I wish I could remember the lady who was doing the cooking, she kept my breakfast warm one morning while I was on the phone getting my safari rescheduled.
  7. Bushwack

Bushwack AH Fanatic

My Photos:
    Hunted:
    Botswana, Namibia, Zimbabwe, South Africa
    Have a look at these...

Some Elephant steaks over the coals

[​IMG]

Stew (Blesbuck neck and Lamb), or as the Dutch call it - Potjie Kos (Pot stew)

[​IMG]

The end result, stew, green salad, rice and homemade pot bread over the coals

[​IMG]

LEKKER...

Attached Files:

8. Calhoun

Calhoun AH Enthusiast

My Photos:
    Member of:
    SCI N.E. Wisconsin Chapter - WisNRA
    Africa - it's the only place i ever hunted so hard & gained weight even when the temperatures were over 90 degrees the whole hunt. It was some of the best cuisinee I have ever eaten. The chef we had in camp was absolutely fabulous & as soon as I arrived he took the time to personally consult me about my diet issues ( which were none!) That in itself makes you feel important & that every thing and detail will be taken care of on your safari!
  9. Karl Stumpfe

Karl Stumpfe AH Veteran

My Photos:
    Member of:
    NAPHA, SCI, DSC, SAHCA
    Hunted:
    Namibia, Zimbabwe, RSA, USA
    Bushwack, how did you find the elephant? What part is it?
  10. enysse

enysse AH Ambassador

My Photos:
    Member of:
    Northeast Wisconsin SCI chapter, Lifetime member of NRA,RMEF
    Hunted:
    Namibia, South Africa (East Cape, Guateng and Limpopo)
    I always put weight on in Africa. They love to cook meat and have a lot of delicious fruits and vegtables. As a meat lover....it's heaven. I've had gemsbok, blesbok, springbok and warthog....loved it all. I especially enjoyed all the meat being cooked over fire!
  11. Cleathorn

Cleathorn AH Senior Member

My Photos:
    Member of:
    SCI; NRA; Niagara Sportsmen Club
    Hunted:
    Most of US, Canada, South America, New Zealand, Australia; South Africa, Zimbabwe
    I have had most of the more common African game animals for dinner. I agree that they are some of the better hunting meals I have ever had. I have had elephant and it is much better than you might think - if you have ever thought about t at all. I shot an elephant in Zim earlier this year and there is some very tender meat around the cheekbone in the side of the head. Who knew? But my Tracker "Boss Peter" did a great job with it and I will belly up to the table to elephant any time I get the chance.

Eland remains my favorite with Springbuck stew very close behind. Just a few thoughts of eating African while hunting Africa.