Making my way to irons

I love open sights. But I’m 57 years old and need readers now. However, I can still shoot groups between 2 and 3inch at 100 yards with a peep due to only needing to focus on the front sight that I can still see clearly. If you haven’t used an aperture sight don’t worry about the peep and focus on the front sight your brain will center it automatically in the peep and you’ll only mess up worrying about it.
I got a nice surprise when my wife gave me a new 458wm in the Winchester Safari Express for Christmas and I discovered that I’m able to shoot it well with the factory rear leaf sight. Well enough that I plan to take it next safari without a scope.
I spend a lot of time dry fire practicing and like the “range comparison chart” attached which can be found online and when viewed from only 5 feet is supposed to accurately represent the size of game at 100-500 yards. I also have found when shooting for groups at ranges past 50 yards to forget bullseye holds and instead use a large black circle and a six o’clock hold indicated by the arrow on the attached target.
One thing worth mentioning is an aperture sight is tougher to use for moving game than a rear leaf and a larger ghost ring is advisable if hunting game that you’re likely to only have a moving shot on.

View attachment 578740
What a Wife!!!! Lucky man.

I have decided that 2024 will be the year of open sights for me. I have very limited experience with them, and none while hunting. So, this is the start of a journey.

I will see how comfortable I get at the range before heading to the field. However, I am inspired by articles like the one below. And, I find carrying my rifle without a scope is a joy. My 308 Norma Mag has a pop-up peep. For hunting up north I don't get many really long shots anyway. And, getting familiar with irons will allow me to get the most out of the express sights on my 400 H&H.

I would be interested to hear from folks about how they practice with open sights and how successful hunting is.

This is how I practice with the irons on my.416 Rigby. Plenty of banter with the mates too.

This is how I practice with the irons on my.416 Rigby. Plenty of banter with the mates too.

What was that you said to the narrator, that you should shot the narrator? :ROFLMAO:

I maintain iron sights on my R8 barrels just cuz, that said I have a Blaser red dot that works great as well as an EOS holographic sight that corrects for parallax - the dot can be anywhere in the window and the dot is still the target.

Also the .75 X 6 Z8 also helps greatly with corrected vision.

Only other trick I’ve learned is to have a set of distance only glasses even if you need biofocals or progressives. That fixed my last problems.

I love using iron sights. Either express or peep sights . Key is to get in close and practice a lot . A few open sight pics. From left to right - 500NE double with diamond front sight , very easy to see. Buff taken with open sights RSM 458 Lott. Some pigs taken on the run using a 450 Rigby PH with open sights. My 416 Rigby Big Game with excellent peep sight. While I have rifles with quick detachable scopes every rifle I own is fitter with iron sights .

IMG_7749.jpeg
IMG_3084.jpeg
IMG_2776.jpeg
IMG_2660.jpeg

All with iron sights.
IMG_1512.jpeg

FB_IMG_1683320539508.jpg

IMG_20230419_154428.jpg

IMG_2716.jpeg
IMG_1790.jpeg
IMG_1377.jpeg
IMG_2690.jpeg
IMG_1535.jpeg
IMG_2754.jpeg
IMG_2755.jpeg
IMG_1795.jpeg
IMG_1354.jpeg
IMG_1353.jpeg

Screenshot_20220713-013016_01.jpg

As a young man growing up in South Bengal, we all observed the following rule from the old timers:
"Optics For Hills
Irons For Jungles"

The first time I ever used telescopic sights on a rifle, was for hunting lion over bait in Tanzania (1978).

Last edited:
Peeps have always worked better for me than traditional buckhorns. But especially now with needing glasses up close. Excluding RMR and scopes.
In order of preference and accuracy
IMG_3888.jpeg

It’s a peep
Than Blaser style irons or NECG masterpiece
IMG_3890.jpeg
IMG_3892.jpeg
IMG_3891.jpeg

sgt_zim, I believe NECG offers front sights in different colors. Also check out Brownells. I purchased a green fiber optic front sight from them for use on a lever gun. Talk to someone in their "Tech" Dept.
I fitted a 3 point diamond . It cost A$90 ( about US$60 plus cost of some glue . Sounds extravagant but it is not . Way better than fibre optics and cheaper. Here it is on a double rifle.

IMG_7749.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
I love using iron sights. Either express or peep sights . Key is to get in close and practice a lot . A few open sight pics. From left to right - 500NE double with diamond front sight , very easy to see. Buff taken with open sights RSM 458 Lott. Some pigs taken on the run using a 450 Rigby PH with open sights. My 416 Rigby Big Game with excellent peep sight. While I have rifles with quick detachable scopes every rifle I own is fitter with iron sights .

View attachment 598588View attachment 598589View attachment 598590View attachment 598591
Can we see a photo of the bottom rifle from above. I'm curious how that rear sight is attached.

I fitted a 3 point diamond . It cost A$90 ( about US$60 plus cost of some glue . Sounds extravagant but it is not . Way better than fibre optics and cheaper. Here it is on a double rifle.
Who makes that diamond sight?

Hope these first 2 photos help . The peep sight is fitted onto the cocking piece . The third photo shows the rear express sights all fold down so as not to obscure vision of front sight when using the peep . The peep works really well on moving targets .

IMG_2664.jpeg
IMG_2662.jpeg
IMG_2661.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Grew up running around the hedge rows with a .177 air rifle then a .22 air rifle...both barrel cocking ones....put thousands of pellets through them....go get one and shoot it as much as you can....as no noise means even more than a .22lr ....Will get you used to iron sights fast

Hope these first 2 photos help . The peep sight is fitted onto the cocking piece . The third photo shows the rear express sights all fold down so as not to obscure vision of front sight when using the peep . The peep works really well on moving targets .

View attachment 598666View attachment 598667View attachment 598668
Interesting. One would think that a peep mounted on the end of the striker would lack stability, but I guess not. What kind of glue did you use to attach the diamond to front sight?

Grew up running around the hedge rows with a .177 air rifle then a .22 air rifle...both barrel cocking ones....put thousands of pellets through them....go get one and shoot it as much as you can....as no noise means even more than a .22lr ....Will get you used to iron sights fast
Once again I am in agreement with you Spikeman,

I too spent my sordid youth with an air rifle, instead of playing ball games with the “normal” boys (monkeys squabbling over a coconut).
Fast forward a hundred years to now.
These days I live on the outskirts of a city and so, I cannot fire powder burning guns, without negative legal consequences.

However, even though I only have a tic more than one acre here, my house is in a forrested setting.
And as such, I am able to shoot air powered guns on my land, as much as I wish.
As you have pointed out, practice with an accurate air rifle is good practice.
It totally beats no practice at all.

I am blessed to live about 2 miles, perhaps 3 kilometers from a real rifle range as well.
However, ammunition have become oppressively expensive and hard to find.
Furthermore, I resent having to stand in amongst the backwards baseball hat and trigger slapping nitwits.
Therefore, I don’t shoot real firearms as much as I’d like to.

Your air rifle suggestion is golden and I have been suggesting same to people for several years now as well.

Cheers,
Velo Dog.

Interesting. One would think that a peep mounted on the end of the striker would lack stability, but I guess not. What kind of glue did you use to attach the diamond to front sight?
Rigby were famous for this type of peep . Have seen the same system on H&H , Fraser and Gibbs rifles . The glue was Araldite . Well known over here .

Another air rifle shooter here. I had a springer and my younger brother still has his Daisy pump gun. That is still acurate, our sons have competitions at christmas etc. We shot as kids every few days, offhand with open sights. All my rifles have open sights, all zeroed. My lott only has open sights and I keep my skills up with an airgun. I recommend buying a springer airgun with open sights. To shoot a springer well, you need to aim well and have a good follow through. It will make your rifle shooting bettter. A 22 lr is good as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ElviaJoine

Latest profile posts

sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.
Vonfergus wrote on JamesJ's profile.
I am interested in the Double
Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.