Founder
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Website
www.africahunting.com
Media
Articles
Hunting Wildebeest Shot Placement

Post your questions, comments or pictures relating to hunting shot placement.

Hunting Wildebeest
wildebeest_shot_placement.jpg

Hunting Wildebeest
wildebeest_perfect_shot.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
If you shoot these front on, aim high just under the chin for a central chest shot.

Not like I did, too low and into the sternum. Animal was found 214 metres away stone dead but with nill penetration of the chest cavity and little blood lost.

Frontal Shots.

I would not recommend a frontal shot on Blue or Black Wildebeest. They got very long faces and the chances are very good that you will hid it in the nose. If it's your first trip to Africa or if you haven't shot a few don't take that shot. Most of the time if the Wildebeest are aware of you, he will stand and and look directly at you. Because they are black it's difficult to see exactly where the nose is, if you don't know the animal well.
There are normally very little blood with a frontal shot and 214m is not bad for this kind of shot. Well done.
Andries

Blue wildebeest are not called the poor man's buffalo for nothing.

We have a joke about a Blue wildebeest in Africa.

"a Blue wildebeest is born sick and every time you give it a lead pill it feels stronger and runs further...." :D:D:D

This joke is told after a wounded animal has been tracked for hours before finding it.

They are very tough animals and dont give up easily and can and will charge the hunter after its been quartered.

The Blue wildebeest has a very deep chest and hunters normally wound by shooting too high.

Make sure of the vital triangle on the animal and shoot for the middle of the triangle and you should have an trophy on the ground with in 200 meters.

Everyone's favorite animal for toughness.

My 1st one was a quartering shot. I did as the PH said and shot to break a shoulder, just as I do for most game if possible. It ran about 80 yards with no blood to follow until the last 20 yards. It was running dead and ran into a tree.
The 2nd one ran about 50 yards in a circle and expired again with a broken leg.

Tough animals. I was using a 338win mag with 225gr Swift A-Frames.

My PH also said "They are born sick and the more you shoot them the better they get". Before we arrived he had one that took 3 rounds and another that took 7 rounds to be recovered.

Hunting Bluewildbeest has been my karma since my first time in Africa, wich includes a wounded female (not intented to be her) just retrieved the next day and two wounded and non retrieved (and payed) males. So, this time I was looking very carefully for a good trophie with my 9 years old son, the PH and the tracker. When spotting a small group of 6 or 7 of them laying down in the shadows of some short trees, we left Erick (the tracker) and my son covered by some brush and aproached the closest we could. Than stopped till they started getting up and Malcolm pointed me a really big one we've not seem yet. A little more waiting, with the LRF showing 170m and a perfect broadside presentation. The shot (the first one) entered the right point, straight up the arm line, half the third part of the chest height. But, instead of running as expected, he falled down and tried to get up but his legs did not worked. His spine had been hit. A second follow up shot has been sent and a third for "just in case" ending. The first and the third shots enterd one inch from the other.
I wonder what happened to that bullet, a 300gn .375HH PMP. The only possible explaning for that is a broken bullet, cause the animal spine has been clearly hit.
As I was with my son and some friends at first time in Africa I had some things to mannage and could not see when they skinned him to know the truth, but it was an example for me that each shot will never be near close like the other and bluewildbeest are really tuff guys!
And I did not shaked anymore...
And that guy scored 30,5":)
I got pictures of that and will post when learning how to do it.
(sorry for my not easy to understand english and my long way to tell any history, this is my first post after the presentation:barefoot:)

Hunting Wildebeest Shot Placement

Post your questions, comments or pictures relating to hunting shot placement.

Hunting Wildebeest
wildebeest_shot_placement.jpg

Hunting Wildebeest
wildebeest_perfect_shot.jpg
Great advice, thanks. I took a nice bwb male with a 10 meter broadside shot. The arrow went through both lungs and passed through completely. I watched him stagger for about 80 meters and then he just fell over dead. I wonder if the lungs are a bit further back than the photo indicates though, because my shot was a tad further back but clearly went through both.

Last edited by a moderator:
I took this one with a single shoot from a Musgrave .308 and 150 grains PMP bullet.......frontal shoot at 150 meters in the midle of his chest......the Blue felt down as bag of rocks on his own shadow, he was dead before hit the ground......in the other way I shoot another one for meat, broadside and I hit little beat behind the shoulder...........never found it again......!!!!

DSCN0211.jpg

See you....!!!!

I can see exactly where I would be placing the shot on that one Gerrit.

GREAT JOB ! Looks like a beast . Wish I would have videoed my hunts ...... only thing missing is the "HERO SHOT "
Glen

Perfect shot on an incredible animal! Congrats and well done! (y)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
daneski43

Latest profile posts

thriller wrote on Bronkatowski1's profile.
Until this guy posts something on pay it forward free I would avoid him at all costs.
sgtsabai wrote on Buck51's profile.
If it hasn't sold by next week I might be interested. Stock would have to be changed along with some other items. I'm already having a 416 Rigby built so money is a tad bit tight.
The35Whelen wrote on MedRiver's profile.
Hey pal! I'll take all the .375 bullets if they're available.
Thanks!

Cody R. Sieber