How do you guys handle ear protection whilst on safari?

I only use on range
In the open field and bush i find it all ok

I’ve got two sets of in ear electronic hearing protection I use while hunting. They both provide sound amplification and hearing protection.

And

I prefer the isotones. They are comfortable enough I use them to listen to music and movies on flights as well as hunting. The cord on the axil allows you to leave them hanging around your neck, but I find the others comfortable enough to leave in for 2-4 h at a time.

I use plugs and muffs at the range. Suppressors where possible and no hearing protection is my preference.

Attachments

• GS Extreme 2.0 Earbuds for Shooting – AXIL.pdf
    2.5 MB · Views: 10
  • ISOtunes SPORT - Caliber - Electronic Hearing Protection - 25 dB - OD Green.pdf
    1.6 MB · Views: 12
For hunting, Axil Xcor, love these things, really do a wonderful job. If I do not have these with me, I use foam ear plugs. For the range I use some sort of electronic ear muffs.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-05-13 at 5.11.36 PM.png
    Screenshot 2024-05-13 at 5.11.36 PM.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 17
I have hearing loss, about 50 years of target shooting and hunting !

In Africa I make sure the outfitter has a gun with supressor I can use

At home these are illegal, so I wear electronic muffs that I put on just before closing in on game.

I use in ear electronics. I have a fair amount of hearing loss and the electronics help me to hear whispers, etc and they proved pretty good protection.

The place I get beat up the worst is watrfowl hunting in a pit blind. I have found the electronics absolutely necessary

Getting my ideas together for a trip in June after buffalo and Ele. I am in two minds regarding ear protection. Electronic ear plugs are less sweaty and allow me to wear the wide brimmed hat but electronic muffs confine me to a ball cap and are more bulky to carry. How do you manage your ear pro? Do you wear it constantly whilst hunting or put the plugs in /muffs on when getting close. When I’m hunting at home it isn’t an issue as we all use moderators so don’t wear ear pro when hunting. Also it’s generally much colder if muffs are used.
Many thanks in advance
I use Otto. They are expensive $425 but they have two levels of hearing enhancement so I can hear my PH whisper yet immediately cut out the roar of my rifle.

I use Otto. They are expensive $425 but they have two levels of hearing enhancement so I can hear my PH whisper yet immediately cut out the roar of my rifle.
I have a pair of these as well, I have mainly used mine for range purposes. One thing nice about these is there are no batteries to be worrying with.

I use ear muffs with electronics and push them up over my ears when i filmed hunts. They can stay on all day. I have also seen clients using in ear electronics that have a wire and battery connecting the two earpieces, easy to tie to a cap or shirt and put in when close. If you ask your PH to warn you, they usually have an idea when you are 15 mins out and you can put your ears on.

I only wear hearing protection at the range. I find when shooting at game, I don’t hear the retort of the rifle, or feel recoil.
" I don’t hear the retort of the rifle" A lot of this depends on the rifle or pistol.

I've always used hearing protection at the range, but usually not while hunting. But then I shot the head off a grouse with my .357 magnum pistol and I shot a black bear with my .44 magnum pistol, and although those were only one shot each, my ears rang for a day or more afterward.

And then in 2004 I bought a .375 RUM and in 2009 I bought a .300 Weatherby and had muzzle brakes installed on both of them. That's when I began using foam ear plugs for all of my rifle hunting.

On the first trip that I took my .300 Wby to Africa, I had a packet full of foam ear plugs, and I used a pair and offered them to my PH, except once. We were driving and suddenly came across a good warthog, so I quickly jumped out of the truck and shot him. One shot and immediately my ears started ringing.

Now I wear these orange ear plugs around my neck all of the time when I'm hunting, and it only takes a couple of seconds to put them on before I shoot. With them I don't hear the report or feel the recoil of the shot.
BtLBNrCl.jpg

" I don’t hear the retort of the rifle" A lot of this depends on the rifle or pistol.

I've always used hearing protection at the range, but usually not while hunting. But then I shot the head off a grouse with my .357 magnum pistol and I shot a black bear with my .44 magnum pistol, and although those were only one shot each, my ears rang for a day or more afterward.

And then in 2004 I bought a .375 RUM and in 2009 I bought a .300 Weatherby and had muzzle brakes installed on both of them. That's when I began using foam ear plugs for all of my rifle hunting.

On the first trip that I took my .300 Wby to Africa, I had a packet full of foam ear plugs, and I used a pair and offered them to my PH, except once. We were driving and suddenly came across a good warthog, so I quickly jumped out of the truck and shot him. One shot and immediately my ears started ringing.

Now I wear these orange ear plugs around my neck all of the time when I'm hunting, and it only takes a couple of seconds to put them on before I shoot. With them I don't hear the report or feel the recoil of the shot.
BtLBNrCl.jpg
I shoot everything up to my 416 Taylor when hunting no problem. My 358 Norma Mag with a muzzle brake, that’s a little different. I do hear that.

First comes the chirp of the ox-peckers. Then they go silent. Then comes the snapped twig. Then comes the buffalo. Only then comes the bang, and to be certain at that point I would be far more interested in protecting my butt than my ears.

For practice and range competition - always

For hunting - never
(I need the ability to detect the direction of sounds)

For me I've always wanted to get a form fitted hearing protection but dont want to spend hundreds on something I dont end up liking. I dont wear muffs unless on the range but when hunting I just use the little purple and green rocket ear plugs you can buy on amazon, I throw them in when things start to get hot and heavy. Have used them for the past 14 years on a ton of hunts all over.

My "high frequency" hearing loss is acute. I blame it on shooting MANY hundreds/thousands of rounds when dove hunting over several decades without using hearing protection. I have been using the ear valves on a lanyard for years now even when mowing the lawn. When hunting, I use them and can still hear everything minus the higher pitch of dove wings when overhead. Really sad, because I used to be able to hear them distinctly along with the chirping of backyard birds. No more. Big game hunting isn't a problem. I can still hear the lower pitched sounds just fine. For you younger hunters, PROTECT YOUR HEARING AT ALL COSTS because you can NEVER get it back!

Having watched my Dad become damn near deaf from 70+ years of shooting and hunting convinced me there will have to be some extraordinary circumstance for me to fire any rifle at the range or while hunting without hearing protection. I love hearing, I want to continue to hear. I tend to wear Axil Xcors, draw back is if it is windy they can be a pain. I also have non-electronic style OtoPro, they work well, sometimes in tense situations I cannot hear as well as I'd like, and probably most often I wear a foam ear plug in my left ear while walking on safari then slip one in my right ear before shooting. I always look to see if hunters on videos are wearing hearing protection, many seem not to, and I think, 'one day you are going to regret that decision!' But as always, it is an individual decision.

I used foam ear plugs. I put one in the left when we departed the truck and the right when we got close. Just give them a quick role and slide them in.

I'm debating buying some electronic plugs for the coming season.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JudyDunfor

Latest profile posts

ghay wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Is this rifle sold? If not what is the weight of it and do you know if there is enough difference in diameter between the 35W and the 9.3 to allow for a rebore to a 9.3x62 which is what I am after?
Thanks,
Gary (Just down the road in Springfield)
Woods wrote on Hunter-Habib's profile.
Forgive me if this is the incorrect area, I signed up to this forum just now because I wanted to be on the list to purchase a copy of your autobiography. Please feel free to pass my information along to whomever is selling. Thank you so much. I look forward to it!
I like the Tillie in my picture. They are supposed to fit loose (2 fingers inside hat band), have mesh for cooling, and hold their shape after washing.
SSG Joe wrote on piratensafaris's profile.
From one newbie to another, Welcome aboard!
BLAAUWKRANTZ safaris wrote on Greylin's profile.
We have just completed a group hunt with guys from North Carolina, please feel free to contact the organizers of the group, Auburn at auburn@opextechnologies.com or Courtney at courtney@opextechnologies.com Please visit our website www.blaauwkrantz.com and email me at zanidixie@gmail.com
Zani