Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
OFAH, DSC
Hunted
South Africa, Canada, USA
In about a week my wife and I will be in Cape Town to start a two week vacation in South Africa. I have avoided the animal tourism and opted for a food, wine and beach adventure. I knew that sitting in a bus watching an animal wander by would be a sorry second to hunting this great country. Although, we will be popping in on some penguins.

This trip came about because we were looking for a vacation spot and I convinced her this was preferable to an all-inclusive on some island. I find I get very bored with those trips. And, they are very expensive for what you get.

I will report on my experience to provide some ideas for things to do before or after a hunting trip.

If u need any help in cape town
I know a great tourist fuide who can look after you and sort a few day trips to good places if you like
Contact me
Stuart@tallyho.co.za

In about a week my wife and I will be in Cape Town to start a two week vacation in South Africa. I have avoided the animal tourism and opted for a food, wine and beach adventure. I knew that sitting in a bus watching an animal wander by would be a sorry second to hunting this great country. Although, we will be popping in on some penguins.

This trip came about because we were looking for a vacation spot and I convinced her this was preferable to an all-inclusive on some island. I find I get very bored with those trips. And, they are very expensive for what you get.

I will report on my experience to provide some ideas for things to do before or after a hunting trip.
Sounds great, but I bet after you have been there a few days you will end up deciding to go on a reserve game drive or visit one of the national parks. I enjoyed that as much as the hunting when I was over there. Either way I hope you have a great trip!

Sounds great, but I bet after you have been there a few days you will end up deciding to go on a reserve game drive or visit one of the national parks. I enjoyed that as much as the hunting when I was over there. Either way I hope you have a great trip!
The first time we were in South Africa I went to a park. I did enjoy it. But after being in the country a few times I really wanted to see what else it had to offer. I looked into a fishing charter but for various reasons that didn't come together.

My alterior motive is to figure out if this country would make for a good retirement destination. That's a few years away, though.

If u need any help in cape town
I know a great tourist fuide who can look after you and sort a few day trips to good places if you like
Contact me
Stuart@tallyho.co.za
I really appreciate that, thanks you. I have arranged for excursions and we will be going to Plett via some wineries and golf courses over the weeks. I didn't want to over plan but I also didn't want to think too much either. It's been a very hectic winter and I wanted a no stress trip.

The first time we were in South Africa I went to a park. I did enjoy it. But after being in the country a few times I really wanted to see what else it had to offer. I looked into a fishing charter but for various reasons that didn't come together.

My alterior motive is to figure out if this country would make for a good retirement destination. That's a few years away, though.
I wonder that myself, How many actually retire in south Africa or other places like south America

Well, if you like antique guns and if you have time to visit a museum with perhaps some guns in it, you might want to check on a double typical S-A phenomenon: the Cape Gun (or Cape Rifle) : one bore smooth, the other rifled. Quite some of them in the percussion era had notchless sights as in the pic I attach on an unused J. Hayton percussion 16-bore smooth / .500 two-groove that I bought because I wanted do some tests with a two-groove and believed at the time I never would find a Purdey two-groove (turned out I could ...) Anyway, a c.f. W. Watson & Son Cape Gun 12-bore smooth / .577 Snider I acquired later has 'normal' sights. Enjoy your trip !

J.HAYTON 16-bore smooth .500 two-groove notchless sights_IMG_1576_bw-us.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Heard Addo Elephant National Park (30 min. from Port Elisabeth) is well worth a visit.

Heard Addo Elephant National Park (30 min. from Port Elisabeth) is well worth a visit.
No where near Cape Town- roughly 9 hr drive, but yes it is a very cool place. I had a great time there, although I did hear over and over that what I saw never happens there so maybe I was just really lucky?

Well, if you like antique guns and if you have time to visit a museum with perhaps some guns in it, you might want to check on a double typical S-A phenomenon: the Cape Gun (or Cape Rifle) : one bore smooth, the other rifled. Quite some of them in the percussion era had notchless sights as in the pic I attach on an unused J. Hayton percussion 16-bore smooth / .500 two-groove that I bought because I wanted do some tests with a two-groove and believed at the time I never would find a Purdey two-groove (turned out I could ...) Anyway, a c.f. W. Watson & Son Cape Gun 12-bore smooth / .577 Snider I acquired later has 'normal' sights. Enjoy your trip !

View attachment 586563
Quite a beautiful gun. Which museum do you recommend?

Try some Pap and other SA food you can find. Emjoy
Absolutely! This is a food trip! We have booked several restaurants as I was told it was the busy season.

Try some Pap and other SA food you can find. Emjoy

The Cape people don't understand pap its foreign to them anything outside the Western Cape you will find people who eat and can make proper pap.

Dang, it sounds like Pap will become like that elusive animal that I have to make several trips before I get a proper one :D

Screenshot 2024-02-12 at 08.27.19.png

Nothing Spectacular, just the end of a continent.
There are plenty of excuses to relax along the way.

Dang, it sounds like Pap will become like that elusive animal that I have to make several trips before I get a proper one :D

The great part is the practicality of being eaten for breakfast (ala Oatmeal) and with some tweaking for dinner. (Tomato sauce with onions).

If you are going to dip your toes in the sea remember that the Indian ocean side is much warmer than the Atlantic west coast.

Go up Table mountain while it is still there. This is Africa and you never know what will vanish next. :ROFLMAO:

If you are going to dip your toes in the sea remember that the Indian ocean side is much warmer than the Atlantic west coast.

Go up Table mountain while it is still there. This is Africa and you never know what will vanish next. :ROFLMAO:
I explained to the Mrs. that the water may be a bit chilly and she was disappointed lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chandadelhiaerocity

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.
SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.