Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Australia/NZ
Member of
SCI, RMBS life member, NRA, DU
Hunted
South Africa, New Zealand, United States
I am flying Delta flight 200 on standby next month.
My question is. When you have checked rifle with TSA and you don't get on plane due to standby status, what happens to your luggage and firearms? Do they get pulled of plane prior to takeoff, or do they sail on to Johannesburg waiting for me to arrive on the next flight?
I spoke with Delta rep and she wasn't sure of policy/ procedures.

Generally, on an international flight, if the passenger is not on the plane their luggage stays behind with them. If you're flying standby your luggage is usually held until you get cleared to board and then it is loaded. That said, mistakes often happen and luggage and passengers get separated. The good thing is that most destination airports that accept firearms have procedures in place to securely accept them and keep them out of the general carousel area. J'oberg has the SAPS office down by baggage claim and all weapons go there to be picked up after luggage is retrieved. I recommend getting apple air tags to track your bags, rifle, and ammo cases. You can also use the Delta app to check if your bags are on the flight yet. There is a baggage tracker on the app.

Also, standby TO J'oberg on flight 200 should be no problem. Coming OUT on Flight 201 on standby is a tough call. The flight is frequently weight restricted and even paying passengers get bumped and end up flying to Amsterdam and then on to Atlanta. Plan ahead!

Last edited:
If you are on stand by and are the last to be called. Your luggage probably will not make the flight, it will follow you by a day or 2.

i had that happen one time, and now when traveling stand by i do not take a firearm. If you take a firearm, i have a seat on the flight booked.

Personally I don't think that I would fly standby with a firearm, or in a situation where I need to be at a certain location at a certain time.

By the way, what are you hunting and where are you going?

Thanks gentlemen.
As it gets closer I'll check the loads and make a final decision.
Jim, I'm back for round 2 on Buffalo, a croc, warthog, kudu, blesbuck and a impala for our grandson. Adding on 2 days deep sea fishing for the Mrs.

I am flying Delta flight 200 on standby next month.
My question is. When you have checked rifle with TSA and you don't get on plane due to standby status, what happens to your luggage and firearms? Do they get pulled of plane prior to takeoff, or do they sail on to Johannesburg waiting for me to arrive on the next flight?
I spoke with Delta rep and she wasn't sure of policy/ procedures.
My friend, no one in their right mind would fly standby with guns on DL 200. The plane is always full. Please buy a ticket!

Riverboat Gambler, lol. Gives me chills just thinking about the possibilities of snafu here. I'd be using a camp rifle on this trip. If you make it.

It is a pig in a poke getting your luggage to the final destination anymore when you are not flying standby. I would not even attempt it myself. Might be a good time to consider a camp gun and carry hunting cloths in your carry on, wear your hunting boots there. I do not have good luck with delta! Of course Safari and Outdoor is right there if you need something.

Unknown.jpeg

Thanks for all your input.
I have purchased " back up tickets "
The reason for all this excess juggling, is I'm in a decent position to fly on a " buddy pass" and possibly be in Delta one.
Of course the back up tickets are on a separate airlines " United " refundable..
Camp rifle probably best option.
As always this site is a wealth of information. Great to hear from those with so much experience.

200w.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Play stupid games, win stupid prizes as they say.

respectfully:

All to try to hustle a buddy pass in delta one? Just buy a guaranteed ticket for a safari. Your assumption that plan B on United gets your guns there at the very last minute is not foolproof either.

Save standby shenanigans for non-hunting trips assuming your time is worth nothing.

Do not do a buddy pass to JNB unless it you have a back up plan. I been at the company 25 years and i still bought a ticket for my trip last May. I may have got there if I tried a day or to early but definitely would not have gotten back for over a week. The direct flights going from JNB to ATL block 70 plus seats due to weight restrictions.

I fly domestic standby several times a year and sometimes if you check a bag they won’t allow it even as a same day standby trying to get an earlier flight.

I’d imagine international with a firearm being an absolute No Go but I’ve been wrong before. Personally I wouldn’t risk it at all and would just buy a ticket.

I think international they will hold it. And if it is a buddy pass or employee pass for domestic only a few stations will hold it most send the bag to its destination. That is why I always try to fly with carry on only if I can.

I think international they will hold it. And if it is a buddy pass or employee pass for domestic only a few stations will hold it most send the bag to its destination. That is why I always try to fly with carry on only if I can.
I'm the same way. I always fly carry-on unless I'm traveling with a firearm or it's over 1 week and I need a bunch of dress clothes or suites. It makes same day flight changes, standby, and unexpected delays much easier and when you travel a lot all of the above are each bound to happen several times a year.

I have traveled millions of air miles on business - domestic and international. When I planned my safari I bought first class tickets and avoided passing through SA. Too much at stake to chance a screw up that i could prevent simply.

Flew Qatar and it was great.

This thread answers my question on whether to fly standby on a buddy pass. My BIL is a Delta retiree so it was a possibility. We were just talking about it last night as well as his flying standby on his retiree status.

I'd much rather pay for a ticket than lose days on the hunt or have the rifles disappear.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MairaRatle

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.
sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.