Elephant Howdah

Well all I can say is if you were near me I would take the coffee table off you as I think that is fair price, I would not be surprised in this day & age if it was made from some thing else but does very much look like a Howdah/Elephant Saddle to me but how to tell ?

I wish we had our Indian members posting still or even looking in, they might have knowlege on these, did some Dick Head piss them off ?

Great suggestion. Our friends in Bangladesh would know right away what the story is. What is Major Khan’s user name? The rest of the guys there? @Professor Mawla isn’t showing up as a userID? @Major Khan isn’t showing up either? Where‘d the Indo-Pakistani professional hunters go?

If there was even a 50% chance the above is a howdah, real or reproduction, I’d buy this thing.

Well all I can say is if you were near me I would take the coffee table off you as I think that is fair price, I would not be surprised in this day & age if it was made from some thing else but does very much look like a Howdah/Elephant Saddle to me but how to tell ?

I wish we had our Indian members posting still or even looking in, they might have knowlege on these, did some Dick Head piss them off ?
We have the gem and mineral show going on now in Tucson. I can probably get info there but have no time.
What state are you in?

Super cool looking, I will be in Arizona in a month, will reach out if you still have it. Im leaving for Africa soon so not able to invest much thought into it until I return. Good luck with the sale.
You got it. Time is the worst issue I have trying to sell things. I'll probably still have it.

@Gustavo520

I think you have a really cool piece. I've also found Camel Cart Tables that look similar. I suggest you get an antiques expert in your area to look at the piece and determine if it is vintage or reproduction and whether it is made from a Howdah, Ox Cart or Camel Cart if possible. Depending on what they determine the value seems to range from $300 - 500 up to over $3,000.

Whatever it is, it’s pretty damn cool. Definitely unique!

It is an awesome piece.
I’m just wandering how they came up with the name? Probably said “Howdah hell are we going to get that on an elephant?” LOL
Howdah/houdah from Hindi "haudā", derived from Arabic "hawdaj" meaning "bed carried by a camel".

The internet is an amazing thing. I can only guess that my searches on this forum were tracked by google based on the Google ad that popped up while reading the news today. (see left side)

Not a howdah. Not antiques. Made in Morocco and India to give the appearance they are built from oxcarts but in fact, they are not reclaimed oxcarts either.

Screen Shot 2022-03-01 at 1.20.00 PM.png

The internet is an amazing thing. I can only guess that my searches on this forum were tracked by google based on the Google ad that popped up while reading the news today. (see left side)

Not a howdah. Not antiques. Made in Morocco and India to give the appearance they are built from oxcarts but in fact, they are not reclaimed oxcarts either.

View attachment 455181
ah a fellow reader of ZeroHedge :)
I never go through one day on the trading floor without having this page open!

ah a fellow reader of ZeroHedge :)
I never go through one day on the trading floor without having this page open!

Some call it a vast right-wing extremist site. Others call it a site based on facts and data rather than emotion.

Pretty humorous that they got banned on social media for citing actual statistics and data sets. They weren't banned for errors, only for the political consequences of facts.

Some call it a vast right-wing extremist site. Others call it a site based on facts and data rather than emotion.

Pretty humorous that they got banned on social media for citing actual statistics and data sets. They weren't banned for errors, only for the political consequences of facts.

well, they do call themselves a platform for the non-mainstream media opinions. And as long as that opinion is well formulated, they give it a place, no matter how much "out there" it is.

It is a news site I recommend to all the stagaires passing by on the desk, dreamy eyed from 5 or 6 years of university, in order to open their eyes, and sharpen a critical sense concerning news/opinions in general. Because too often they have never read anything outside their echo chamber.
And though I recommend it, I also follow it up with "watch out, there is a lot of BS on it too".

Age can be determined by what archeologist call the "lick test". If it taste like dirt it is old. If it taste like chemicals it has been aged.

I have one also I’m trying to sell. Where do you get information about the table at?

Attachments

• IMG_0705.jpeg
    7 MB · Views: 63
  • IMG_0704.jpeg
    7.4 MB · Views: 58
I have one also I’m trying to sell. Where do you get information about the table at?

Not much info. They were sold 10-15 years ago at Cost Plus and True World Market in the USA. They are reproduction tables they were designed to look like reclaimed rickshaw/ ox wagon parts as a coffee table. They were a few hundred dollars new.

Those that sold for more used were sold inaccurately as authentic elephant howdahs.

Throw it on FB marketplace and it will bring a couple hundred bucks if you can weed through all the scammers.

Minnie was very fond of hers! Check it for autographs!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LuisaOLogh

Latest profile posts

IHC-KB5 wrote on Huvius's profile.
Thanks for catching the Flanged brass - much appreciated!
SETH RINGER wrote on RR 314's profile.
HOW MUCH ARE THEY?? PLAIN? CAMO? THX, SETH
USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.