Elephant -Buffalo hunt in Caprivi

Grat

AH member
Reaction score
Hunted
Zimbabwe, Tanzania, SA, Austria, Poland, Slovakia, Hungary, Romania, Bulgaria, New Zealand
Interested in Elephant ( old trophie bull) and Buffalo hunting 2025- tracked animals. Heared that Caprivi Strip could be an area for that? But just free areas no fences. Thank you for experiences, recomandations.

The Caprivi is an awesome area. I hunted buffalo there in 2022 and will be back in 2025 for buffalo and elephant. Lots of great operators there. Have a couple of sponsors here on the site that offer hunts there. Those would be a great place to start your search. Best of luck.

OR BUSHMANLAND.

Good Day @Grat

I would like to invite you to consider Tsala Hunting Safaris.We have unfenced areas in Zimbabwe and Mozambique.Both these areas share unfenced borders with National parks and the trophy quality is very good.

Can I please send you a pm with more details.

Regards

Rouan

I hunted elephant and buffalo with Dawid Muller in the Caprivi in 2022. Great experience. He hunts in the Wuparo Conservancy. PM me if you want contact info.

I also once shot a buffalo in the Caprivi, but that was more than 30 years ago on the Kavango river on the border of Angola at the front of the Caprivi strip. I don't think there is hunting in this area nowadays, everything seems to take place in the Zambezi/Chobe area.

Hallo grand veneur- what areas in Africa would you recomend for Trophy Ele+Buffalo.
Think you have some experience in Safari hunting.

Karl with @ndumo HUNTING SAFARIS is a sponsor here. I hunted elephant in his caprivi concession last October. Looked over 150 elephant before I chose one. The buffalo herds were 200 to 300 each day. Check him out and pm me if you want to visit personally.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hallo grand veneur- what areas in Africa would you recomend for Trophy Ele+Buffalo.
Think you have some experience in Safari hunting.

Not easy to recommend, ultimately you have to focus your hunting on the elephant because there are many more areas where you can hunt buffalos but no elephants. One also have to take the financial aspect into account. It's certainly easiest to organize something like this in Zimbabwe. I have myself hunted buffalo and elephant in this country. The Caprivi is certainly a very good area, perhaps even better when it comes to the size of the elephant trophies, but it is certainly much more expensive as you may also have to take a charter flight into account. On this forum it is best to look at the various propositions from the many professionals who get in touch and then to decide.

If you want to hunt Caprivi look into Jamy Traut Safaris, Kou Kuas, Ndumo, Omujeve, a few others that actually hold concessions there. A lot of concessions there the elephant movement is very seasonal though so ask about best timing. I would also always ask when they hold the lease on the area until with their current contract. I think Zimbabwe would give more opportunity. The concessions are generally larger. Look into charlton McCallum safaris or Mbalabala safaris. One major thing, except in very few cases, I would only consider hunting with an outfitter in the country you are looking at hunting in. There are many South African outfitters advertising hunts elsewhere but they are contracting a local PH/outfitter to legally do your hunt.

Not easy to recommend, ultimately you have to focus your hunting on the elephant because there are many more areas where you can hunt buffalos but no elephants. One also have to take the financial aspect into account. It's certainly easiest to organize something like this in Zimbabwe. I have myself hunted buffalo and elephant in this country. The Caprivi is certainly a very good area, perhaps even better when it comes to the size of the elephant trophies, but it is certainly much more expensive as you may also have to take a charter flight into account. On this forum it is best to look at the various propositions from the many professionals who get in touch and then to decide.
There are no charter flights necessary in Caprivi. It has a good road network. You take a commercial flight into Katima.

An important point imho is how many days for such a hunting buffalo and elephant.

Anyone who pays a little attention to the quality of the trophies will hardly be able to do something like this in 7 or 10 days hunting. 10 days for a trophy elephant hunting were often not enough long. I once did not see in some area one elephant in 10 days hunting and in an other area I need 13 days for shooting a buffalo.

An important point imho is how many days for such a hunting buffalo and elephant.

Anyone who pays a little attention to the quality of the trophies will hardly be able to do something like this in 7 or 10 days hunting. 10 days for a trophy elephant hunting were often not enough long. I once did not see in some area one elephant in 10 days hunting and in an other area I need 13 days for shooting a buffalo.
I really don’t know if any unsuccessful 10 day buffalo hunts in Caprivi. The timing of elephant hunts really matter in Caprivi though, especially community areas. I’ve yet to see an elephant in Caprivi except in park but the same areas I hunted have large numbers of elephants coming through at different times of the year. There are I think three park hunting concessions in Caprivi. They are really worth the extra cost in my opinion compared to community areas.

If you want to hunt Caprivi look into Jamy Traut Safaris, Kou Kuas, Ndumo, Omujeve, a few others that actually hold concessions there. A lot of concessions there the elephant movement is very seasonal though so ask about best timing. I would also always ask when they hold the lease on the area until with their current contract. I think Zimbabwe would give more opportunity. The concessions are generally larger. Look into charlton McCallum safaris or Mbalabala safaris. One major thing, except in very few cases, I would only consider hunting with an outfitter in the country you are looking at hunting in. There are many South African outfitters advertising hunts elsewhere but they are contracting a local PH/outfitter to legally do your hunt.
Thank you @375Fox - CharltonMc Callum is my favorite , Caprivi an interesting alternative. As I hunted allready 3 times in Africa I‘m happy to know a little bit whatabout to take care. But it‘s allways good to listen to other experiences.

Thank you grand veneur—I hunted buffalo allready in Zimbabwe- but to focus on one species when you are hunting DG is a good way- for Ele most outfitters charge you 14 days- so I think enough time looking for an old animal- that‘s most important for me- than trophie. Typical Austrian hunting tradition

I‘m suprised about the price difference for an ele- buffalo hunt in Caprivi and Zimbabwe ( Zambesi Valley) - anyway a good Safari is not cheap

Not many fences in elephant territory.

Don‘t think there are many fences in Zambesi valley

It always depends on what you mean by fences. You certainly mean a fenced-in hunting area like in some regions of Namibia or South Africa. That does not exist, but depending on where you hunt elephants you can see fences, but these are usually found close to the villages. Elephants need a lot of water and food and look in some areas for that on the border of the villages. I have already hunted in such an area, in the south of Zimbabwe near the Gonarhezou NP.

The description of the CharltonMc Callum areas don‘ sound like fenced areas- thank you for your informations. Till yet I didn’t see fences during my Zimbabwe, Tanzania Safaris- but that‘s 30 and 15 years ago

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChristenVa

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

FDP wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Good morning. I'll take all of them actually. Whats the next step? Thanks, Derek
Have a look af our latest post on the biggest roan i ever guided on!

I realize how hard the bug has bit. I’m on the cusp of safari #2 and I’m looking to plan #3 with my 11 year old a year from now while looking at my work schedule for overtime and computing the math of how many shifts are needed….
Safari Dave wrote on Kevin Peacocke's profile.
I'd like to get some too.

My wife (a biologist, like me) had to have a melanoma removed from her arm last fall.
Grat wrote on HUNTROMANIA's profile.
Hallo Marius- do you have possibilities for stags in September during the roar? Where are your hunting areas in Romania?