Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
Member of
National rifle association
Hunted
United States and Canada
After nearly 10 years (since my college days) of reading every book and Sports Afield article on Africa, I’ve decided to do some serious thinking about my first safari and what it should entail. I’ve come to the conclusion that my first hunt will be a plains game hunt with the primary objectives being Kudu and Eland, taking other trophies as the opportunity arises. I would also like to hunt in a true wilderness area or concession where there are no perimeter fences at all. I am looking for hard earned trophies over trophy quantity. The first places that come to mind are Kaokoland, the Caprivi Strip, the Zambezi Valley, or Luangwa valley. Do you have any recommendations for hunting area or safari outfitter?

I hunted Kaokoland with Jamy Traut Safaris in 2018. It’s one of the most wild places I’ve had opportunity to hunt and I’d highly recommend. I would not go there with a specific list though. I’d go with an open list and take what is presented. The hunting can be very difficult at times I’m told. I was successful though on several great trophies including a very big eland and a nice kudu. It’s also probably one of the most economical hunts to see wild Africa today.
The Zambezi Valley isn’t for plains game hunting. Operators there sell dangerous game hunts with plains game as add ons because they can be very difficult and there will actually be less eland and kudu on quota than buffalo so they likely will not want to possibly limit a buffalo hunt that sells for more money.
I haven’t hunted Mozambique myself yet, but I would look into some of the delta concessions for plains game hunting. The reports there seem really positive.
Also, Eland in a true concession area will be difficult almost everywhere you go. I’m not sure any will put a guarantee on it, more a they will try their best scenario. Some concessions will be better success than others.

What’s your hunt budget?

Mauser3000, you are welcome to contact us Mbizi Game Reserve, Zambia. We still have a few dates available for 2024.

Best regards,
Michael

Sounds like a wonderful adventure! Best of luck to you!

Jamie Traut was the first thought I had in Namibia. I would definitely narrow in on Namibia, Zambia or Botswana. Botswana won’t have PG you want on concessions, but some of the ranches are 130,000 acres in size.

You might want to talk chat with @PeteG or @SpikeT about Zambia.

Check with NKWE or Bokamoso in Botswana.

I’m kicking around a budget of about 17k for the hunt itself.
This is a good budget. You might also consider hunting buffalo in Zambezi valley. Unlike eland there the success rate would be approaching 100% then if you’re lucky enough to get a kudu or eland it’s only an extra $1500 trophy fee. I really enjoy hunting wild areas but if getting kudu and eland were my priority I’d look into big farms in Namibia and Botswana. They have the numbers to be successful most hunts on eland and it’s a good hunt.

This is a good budget. You might also consider hunting buffalo in Zambezi valley. Unlike eland there the success rate would be approaching 100% then if you’re lucky enough to get a kudu or eland it’s only an extra $1500 trophy fee. I really enjoy hunting wild areas but if getting kudu and eland were my priority I’d look into big farms in Namibia and Botswana. They have the numbers to be successful most hunts on eland and it’s a good hunt.
I’ve always been interested in buffalo as well but wasn’t’ sure what kind of hunt that would get me in the Zambezi Valley. I would certainly be open even preferable to do a buffalo hunt in Zim. Do you have any suggestions on outfitters/camps for something in that ballpark?

I’ve always been interested in buffalo as well but wasn’t’ sure what kind of hunt that would get me in the Zambezi Valley. I would certainly be open even preferable to do a buffalo hunt in Zim. Do you have any suggestions on outfitters/camps for something in that ballpark?
I’ve hunted with charlton McCallum safaris there. I’d highly recommend them. A 10 day buffalo hunt will cost $17k-$18k in Dande. You might also look into Dalton and York Safaris and Mbalabala Safaris. They seem to have a lot of very good reports as well. Most hunters have a little extra money by the time their hunt actually happens, most are pretty conservative setting their initial budget when booking.

I’ve hunted with charlton McCallum safaris there. I’d highly recommend them. A 10 day buffalo hunt will cost $17k-$18k in Dande. You might also look into Dalton and York Safaris and Mbalabala Safaris. They seem to have a lot of very good reports as well. Most hunters have a little extra money by the time their hunt actually happens, most are pretty conservative setting their initial budget when booking.

+1 on Dande for buffalo. I would contact Len Taylor directly if I were heading that way. He is one of the absolute best in the business.

I didn’t think you could hunt Lord Derby Eland in Camaroon for 17K.
You can't- it was meant as kinda a joke with the hope you might go whole hog and take the bait :LOL:.

Very nice plan thus far. I can also confirm the area of the Zambezi Valley I hunted was not a destination for eland or kudu, but mostly DG. Maybe southern areas of Zim like the Save' Valley?? @Kevin Peacocke any input for an eager chap?

You can't- it was meant as kinda a joke with the hope you might go whole hog and take the bait :LOL:.

Very nice plan thus far. I can also confirm the area of the Zambezi Valley I hunted was not a destination for eland or kudu, but mostly DG. Maybe southern areas of Zim like the Save' Valley?? @Kevin Peacocke any input for an eager chap?

Dande does not have a lot of PG but my understanding is that Nyakasanga does.

I hunted Kaokoland with Jamy Traut Safaris in 2018. It’s one of the most wild places I’ve had opportunity to hunt and I’d highly recommend. I would not go there with a specific list though. I’d go with an open list and take what is presented. The hunting can be very difficult at times I’m told. I was successful though on several great trophies including a very big eland and a nice kudu. It’s also probably one of the most economical hunts to see wild Africa today.
The Zambezi Valley isn’t for plains game hunting. Operators there sell dangerous game hunts with plains game as add ons because they can be very difficult and there will actually be less eland and kudu on quota than buffalo so they likely will not want to possibly limit a buffalo hunt that sells for more money.
I haven’t hunted Mozambique myself yet, but I would look into some of the delta concessions for plains game hunting. The reports there seem really positive.
Also, Eland in a true concession area will be difficult almost everywhere you go. I’m not sure any will put a guarantee on it, more a they will try their best scenario. Some concessions will be better success than others.
+1 on this comment. I love Kaokoland, but you should go there with the mindset to take what Africa gives you. It is rough country and game density not high.

For that budget definitely look into a buff hunt and add on plainsgame

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarinVvw21

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Grat wrote on HUNTROMANIA's profile.
Hallo Marius- do you have possibilities for stags in September during the roar? Where are your hunting areas in Romania?
ghay wrote on No Promises's profile.
I'm about ready to pull the trigger on another rifle but would love to see your rifle first, any way you could forward a pic or two?
Thanks,
Gary [redacted]
Heym Express Safari cal .416 Rigby

Finally ready for another unforgettable adventure in Namibia with Arub Safaris.

H2863-L348464314_original.jpg
Unforgettable memories of my first hunting safari with Arub Safaris in Namibia (Khomas Hochland) !!!

Namibia.jpg
Oryx.jpg
Kudu.jpg
ghay wrote on Joel Rouvaldt's profile.
Love your rifle! I'm needing a heavier rifle for Africa. Sold my .375 Dakota Safari several trips ago. Would you have any interest in a trade of some sort involving the custom 338/06 I have listed here on the site ( I have some room on my asking price. I also have a large quantity of the reloading components and new Redding dies as well as a box of A-Square Dead Tough ammo.