Don't drink the water?

There seems to be two potential factors here:

1 - microbial contamination. If this is the issue (and it almost certainly is), boiling will likely sort you right out, although if it's really, really bad (like river water full of faeces bad) then some aflatoxins or similar could persist. I sincerely doubt it'd be an issue with any water someone would willingly serve to a client, so boil it, re-aerate it, enjoy it.

2 - Mineral content. I don't actually believe that this'd cause illness or stomach upset, but it might make it taste funny. Many places in the US are also using ground water from hard water areas (much of Texas, Milwaukee, Chicago and Colorado for instance) and common domestic water treatment doesn't actually change this all that much except for adding a load of additional chlorine. People from those areas will already be seeing pretty high mineral content from their tap at home and we'd all think nothing of grabbing a glass of tap water in Denver. I don't believe that African groundwater would be any 'worse' mineral wise.

Long and the short of it, if the outfitter has an RO system or a nanofiltration option, all good. If you have one of those nifty bottles with a built in filter, all good. If you're a manly man with an iron stomach, all good as well...

If none of the above applies, maybe consider only using boiled water or bottled water if you're concerned. Ice (in high ABV alcoholic drinks at least) will probably be fine, as would teeth cleaning. The exposure level is after all low, whilst both alcohol and fluoride are pretty good at killing microbes.

Honestly, it'd likely be fine anyway, but I probably wouldn't go drinking directly from the tap out of choice.

a drink without ice hhhmmmmmm maybe i would forego the drink

btw beer is at least 90% water, stick with that and you are safe

Depends where you go. My uncle went to the Sudan (I think) several years ago and just wetting his toothbrush from the tap caused a serious case of the trots! Many places like that in Africa and around the world.

Most water in Southern Africa is quite fine to drink but there are localised exceptions.

BUT as you say, you are here for a fixed amount of days and you don't want to be in bed or on the loo for half of it. If I was in your shoes I'd stick to bottled water or if the outfit/lodge has RO / micorfiltration then that's cool too. I only drink beer when in the bush so ice is not a issue but if it is filtered water then it should be ok.

All depends on your appetite for risk...

ps... you're more likely to get a case of the trots from not washing your hands before eating than from drinking contaminated water. 22 years ago I landed in London and caught the tube to the Slug and Lettuce for Ozzy day I got sick and I'm almost certain it was from hanging onto the straps and rails (not train rails) then eating a Big Mac... could have been the beer too but nah...

Many years ago there was a very popular lodge in Colorado. The water table was very high and the septic system was very close to the well. Periodically there would be a problem. The lodge burned down, was rebuilt but closed.

I know of a lodge in Zimbabwe same problem, but they are not using the bore hole. They do use water from the Zambezi, but anyone that stays there either boil there water, drink bottle water or get it from my bore hole.

As a professional traveler (pilot) I don't eat raw fruits, raw vegetables or salads, and don't drink anything with ice when I'm outside the U.S. I only drink bottled/canned drinks and don't let the staff open the drink for me. Especially water. A typical scam is to bring you a bottle of water and then they 'open' it for you as they put it on the table. Most of my travels abroad are in Mexico and the Caribbean but I'm assuming professional hunting outfits are a lot more reputable and trustworthy.
That’s some serious trust issues, staff can open the drink if they want it’s their job. The same if it’s a bottle wains of champagne.

That’s some serious trust issues, staff can open the drink if they want it’s their job. The same if it’s a bottle wains of champagne.
Clearly, you didn’t read where some staff for some outfitters buy empty bottles and fill with local water to save money.

With champagne I do have serious trust issues...as I watch to see how they start on the process....and as soon as I see the Cork not under control I take over....one of those going off uncontrolled can blow someones eyeball to shit...or hurt someone....but the rest they can go ahead and open as fast as I drink them....;):E Big Grin:.....but here in bars etc they will bring the beers or other bottles drinks to the table unopened, which I think is a possible throwback to not trusting people and possibly putting poison in a drink.....

Hey Buckshot, when are you leaving? Just concentrate on your shooting take some antibiotics some Imodium and have the time of your life!! Any target animals or are you going alacart and take what Africa gives you? Best of luck to you!

Hey Buckshot, when are you leaving? Just concentrate on your shooting take some antibiotics some Imodium and have the time of your life!! Any target animals or are you going alacart and take what Africa gives you? Best of luck to you!
Not till May, June of '23. Just excited and jonesin for discussion.
My initial package includes Blue Wildebeest, Impala, Warthog and Springbuck. My wife may chase after a Blesbuck and I may add a Zebra. But, first we go to Victoria Falls for a few days then hunt. Total of 15 days with travel from the USA.

Looks like you’re in the upper Midwest. Otherwise would love to get together and throw a few back and talk of Africa Texas here

As a hydrogeologist-engineer that treats groundwater for a living, I'd say it's definitely "foreign" bacteria/parasites that causes the occasional issue with travelers. The "minerals" are the same found in the Americas (it was the same continent once upon a time, simply split in half by the Mid-Atlantic rift!) As said by others above, '7 trips and no issues EVER drinking a.m. coffee, brushing, showering, wading in shallow rivers/creeks/lakes (in All S. African countries.) The further back in the bush you get (W., C. & E. Africa,) the more you should consider using bottled for every purpose. I have a large delft blue tile given to me by an old neighbor (retired Dutch pilot) and on it shows every source of possible water pollution and it reads "Don't Drink the Water!" on it (just like ole Mex!) Stiff libations after the hunt (or copious use of vinegar/salts/citrus on your food) may counteract the issue somewhat, naturally! If you're going to Congo, CAR, Ethiopia et. al....enjoy your Evian! LOL 'Only wading in water issues ever encountered was wading through 4' deep mucky croc and moc-infested waters of C. FL in the US (Son and i got an incredible itch/rash after hunting in it for a day and admittedly it was nasty (but a lot of Fun!) We hosed off then showered thoroughly, and enjoyed our venison & pork bbq! 'Never encountered water like that in Africa (it's much more pristine.) This area had nutrient pollution and other ag chem loading from agricultural runoff (Same reason Gulf coasters experience the lovely red tide each year-too much treated sewage effluent/ag runoff and even raw sewage discharges during storms!) The MSM simply says there's another bad red tide this year (turning a blind eye to the preventable causes.)

Last edited:
Looks like you’re in the upper Midwest. Otherwise would love to get together and throw a few back and talk of Africa Texas
Throwing a few back always sounds good to me. Lol.

Speaking of clean water, Never go to the Caprivi (most hunting along the rivers bordering Botswana (the Chobe, Kwando, etc. river concessions to the S.) without taking a short trek N. to witness the spectacular glory of the swift flowing, clear blue watered Zambezi River! It is a true wonder of Nature. I wanted to dive in, my PH said it was fine to do so, but then I saw some huge crocs on the opposite banks in Zambia (and sadly passed!) PH thought they were sunning themselves on the sandy bank, positioned perfectly toward the sun, but wouldn't enter the big river, rather later retreating to the warmer water with more cover in the back creek areas. It made sense, just didn't take chances. Fishing lodges/boat trips along the river for those who are so inclined. I opted to get a cold one at Robert's Shebeen (Mobil 5-star rated,) as it was hot out and we were done chasing Kudu. My son even begged me to give up hunting on our last day, so that we could visit Vic Falls farther downstream (it was a toss-up: end the hunt or experience a true world wonder?)

_IGP7918.JPG
_IGP7919.JPG
_IGP7920.JPG
_IGP7945.JPG
_IGP8107.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Last time we were in Mexico, I bought a litre of mezcal as soon as we got to the hotel Great for brushing teeth and mouth wash! Gin would do just as well in East Africa and very traditional for the area, like the mezcal in Mexico - I am very traditional kind of guy - hah.

Another anecdote about "water" on safari. On our first trip to SA, the PH picked us up at the airport, and asked if we would mind if we stopped first at a grocery store for supplies as he had just finished with his last client and was running a bit behind (the camp was about three hours north of Johannesburg). We jumped at the chance, and particularly so since my wife is Swiss and a gourmet cook in her own right. So, when we got to the "grocery store" which was more like a Safeway on steroids, the PH and the wife headed for supplies - I headed for the wine department. Now, I am no neophyte when it comes to fine "grape," but I was not overly familiar with SA wines, although well aware of their quality reputation dating from the 1600s. Consequently, given the Rand was about 8 to the dollar then (2001), I figured what the hell, and simply bought 12 bottles of the most expensive red wine they had. I think the total bill came to less than $100 USD. Well, I can tell you we had a week of fine dining and great wines (and no belly aches or other GI issues). Nothing like Kudu backstrap and a bottle of fine SA pinotage.

I'm not certain where Westfalen Safaris in Namib gets its SA wine from, but it's excellent! 'Never had a terrible wine while on Safari. You'll have to book a Safari with them and find out...

DSCN0165.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not certain where Westfalen Safaris in Namib gets its SA wine from, but it's excellent! 'Never had a terrible wine while on Safari. You'll have to book a Safari with them and find out...

View attachment 459120

When did you hunt with Westfalen ?
We were there in 2010. The wine was excellent but not in Westfalen bottles. Cant remember the brand. The wine we had the night that John & Juliana cooked Guinea fowl on the grill was especially good.
We actually hunted from Elephant camp. Loved the experience. It was a great hunt !
The water was not real tasty though.

IMG_0308 (2).JPG
IMG_0311.JPG

'14. She has great taste in wine (and I'm sure 'tried 'em all before putting their name on it!) I believe everyone hunted from "elephant camp" at that time (except they move on during dry African Winter.) Their new lodge is something else! Their daughter is good friends with My son.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JulianneMo

Latest profile posts

sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.
Vonfergus wrote on JamesJ's profile.
I am interested in the Double
Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.