Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA, SCI
Hunted
EC and NW Province RSA, USA
I have an opportunity to purchase this used Winchester 375H&H with Burris Fullfield scope for $900. I have never seen a Winchester in a stock like this so I am thinking it might be an after market stock (I have never owned or have been a huge Winny fan). I am just wondering what my go to experts think. Deal or no deal? This is the only photo that I have received and I have not seen in person. The dealer is a trusted source.

image.jpg

I don't know that I would call it a "deal"..... Scope used has maybe $100 added value. Rifle....well you can get a nice 375 brand new for $800-1000..... So really it's just your call.... Kinda looks like a Remington stock from the 80s/90s

I don't see any iron sites. That would be a concern for me if you are planning on using this as a DG gun but that's your call. Is that the serial number on the tag? (I can't read it). If so you should be able to look that up on Winchester's site to see when it was made. From my understanding there are some years of M70's that might not be as good as others.

Offer the dude $500..... If no deal, walk. If you really want a 375 buy the new one that you like.... Fit & Finish & Fu€£ it!!!!

David make sure it is a CRF. Those post '64 Winchesters before the new model are not worth a lot... Many might be fine gun and I think they did build some with the pre-64 action and CRF.. But they don't hold value. Better off new or pre-64.

Don't take this as "must have CRF".. That is your decision, but a M70 without CRF has a much lower resell value.

Might not be for everyone but I passed through Sidney Nebraska last week and they had a set of Winchester M70 Alaskans in Stainless with laminate stocks. A matched set in 375 H&H and 300 Win Mag. Like brand new and priced at $999 each. Cabelas will almost always come down at least 10% on used guns and throw in free shipping. Those would make a heavy duty pair of guns for someone setting out to hunt the World... Actions were smooth as silk. The story was a customer ordered them in for an Alaska hunt of a lifetime and lost his health and never went. They both looked like new to me, both new models with CRF. But not the walnut stock and no cheek piece like the Express model. I can't find them on the internet so if interested give them a call and ask for pictures.

Bob, I am all about CRF. I will not go without.

Thank you all for the responses thus far. I have not kept up on factory guns for sometime as I prefer to only shoot customs. The only factory original guns I own are my Benelli shotgun and a Savage rim fire. All rifles I have I had built. I posted this as Winchester rifles and all factory rifles bored me so I did not keep up on what is good and what to stay away from. I just do not need to have a smith put together a DG gun and hope I can get a good CRF rifle for my upcoming hunts.

This rifle kind of fell into my lap today and did not know too much about these rifles.

I like the cross bolts, the price is a little steep but it looks like a beautiful gun. If it's control feed, make a deal an buy it, especially if fits you.

So we NEED to know! Is it CRF?

I do not know if it is CRF. This was taken in by a gun dealer in Minneapolis today. I know one of the owners and he has been keeping an eye out for me. I received this pic in a text today and had some follow up questions I fired back to him. I have not received any info back yet.

That stock looks pretty much exactly like what the factory put on Post-64 / Early 1970's Winchester's push feed pieces of rubbish, during when they took that infamous and serious quality control nose dive into the rocks and did not recover until many years later.

Before I bought it, I'd shoot it. If you can't shoot it first, let it go. Plenty of other rifles out there.

Except for those heavy duty crossbolts, that stock looks just like the one on a .300 Win. Mag. Model 70 I once had. It was one of the infamous post-64 push feed rifles(as I suspect the one in the OP's picture is) but it shot very well. $900 for a scoped .375 H&H is a decent deal if the rifle shoots well.

It looks identical to the rifle I purchased earlier this year; figure mine was made around 1975.
030_zpsl9qonu3y.jpg

It came with scope mounts, but no scope....I paid a little under $700 for it. I don't know much about Burris scopes, but I don't think that they are that "high end". I think you could do better, or could renegotiate the price. Just MHO.............

Attachments

• 030_zpsl9qonu3y.jpg
    030_zpsl9qonu3y.jpg
    271 KB · Views: 116
Last edited by a moderator:
Velo dog is right , push feed 1980's era model. I have one in a 222, great little gun, very accurate, But it would not be my choice in a 375.

I have not received any more info on it as of now but you guys swayed me to pass. I would rather have a new rifle for about that money. This is why I asked on here. I have looked at gunjoker and gunsamerica ect but all the 375's are damn near new prices. I was just not too sure on this one as the stock threw me off. In every gun group there is a die hard Winny fan and I figured someone here could guide me in the right direction.

I am still in the market for a 375 or up gun and have an unbelievable offer to shoot a stack of dg guns. I look forward to meeting up with this generous person for this experience. As of now I am leaning strongly towards a 375 H&H in either a Winny or CZ.

Thank you all!

Dave;
I'm not sure what you have as a companion to the big bore your are shopping for, other than the 7.82 laser beam!

As your planning for this gun think about the obvious choices of 375, 416, and 458 or larger.... To me if you want just one big bore it comes down to these three...

If you go all the way to 458 (or bigger), you are giving up a lot on trajectory and paying a lot in recoil. And possibly weight of the gun you will be carrying. You can of course shoot a steenbuck with a 458... But it is really best suited for buffalo, elephant, hippo on land (NOT in water), and rhino.... And fine for lion at short range. Don't know what else it would be considered a first choice for. However if you will normally take two rifles anyway, it might be good... Have a flatter shooter as well as a bigger caliber. And if you want a BIG bore... Go for it! But if you get a 458, you should get a Lott of 458! LOL

If you want the best all around caliber for everything in Africa, it has to be a 375... You may not need a 375, (although everyone should have one! LOL) I can think of no better caliber for leopard than a 375, and I had a wide choice for lion but chose my M70 375 because I am more comfortable with that gun than any other I have. And I figured it was plenty if the bullet was placed in a decent spot...

Enter the 416's! Great choice if you want something more practical and flatter shooting than a 458 but considerably harder hitting than a 375... Your basically moving up 20-25% on foot pounds of energy over a 375. And it actually calculates out to more energy than a 458 Win Mag! The 375 "may" be light for elephant but I consider the 416's to be about perfect.

For cats or anything in water, I want my most accurate gun in a legal caliber, thus very likely a 375. (I have actually not shot my 375 RSM yet:(

For buffalo, I want the hard hitter!

For elephant, I want a 416 minimum but also want to take a lighter weight gun, so I can walk farther;)

And then will you ever go after a big bear? I would take something with better trajectory than a 458. I plan to use a 375 but a 416 might be fine as well.

Good to hear no deal. CZ550 gets my vote for your new 375! R.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HalinaKers

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you