CZ 550FS "Bavarian" Stock Replacement

perdurabo

AH member
Reaction score
I've got a CZ 550FS "Bavarian" in 9.3x62 with the full length Mannlicher style stock. I like the look of the stock but I need a practical field replacement for the stock as it's a bit too delicate for most field work, plus my moustache is nowhere near waxed and curly enough to carry it.

I need a drop-in or semi-inlet fit replacement stock. Synthetic would be preferable but decent traditional contour wood stocks would be fine as well (I've had mixed luck with Boyd's in the past). I understand Bell and Carlson make a drop in stock but I'm not certain which one would be appropriate for the 550FS. I'm guessing that since the 9.3x62 doesn't require a magnum action, that what I need is the B&C "CZ 30-06 American" rather than the "CZ 550 American Safari", or will neither of these fit?

The Richard's stocks options are even more confusing as they split the "BRNO CZ 550" into three inlets: "600" "601" and "602". How do I know which one fits my rifle, if any?

What other options do I have for drop-in or semi-inlet? A completely custom stock is waaaay overkill and far more than I'd like to spend.

Attachments

• Bell and Carlson: CZ 30-06 American Sporter Style, Hinged Floorplate.pdf
    393.7 KB · Views: 18
  • Bell and Carlson: CZ 550 American Safari, Sporter Style, Hinged Floorplate.pdf
    384.5 KB · Views: 14
I have the same rifle. I bought it thinking it would be my main and only scoped hunting rifle. Beautiful wood. So I carefully took it to the range and carefully placed it in a shooting rest. Then I carefully aimed and fired. The rifle's recoil carefully chipped a nice chunk right out of the rear edge of the cheek piece. The leather cover on the rifle rest was ripped and the sharp metal edge underneath performed a careful chiseling job on the wood. I was gutted and promised myself to be really careful from now on. I then took it on a safari to Africa. My ph carefully placed the rifle on the rear seat of his truck. I hopped in from the other side. The rifle carefully slid and before I could catch it landed, you guessed it, on the sharp steel rails on which the front seats move fore and aft. Couple more scratched and dings, I guess but I will be really careful from now on. I then got back from Africa and placed the gun carefully in the safe. Then even more carefully I took out a handgun to show my friend. As I was carefully handling it, it slipped out of my hand and landed, quickly but carefully right on the bottom side of that beautiful long forearm before landing on the trigger guard, scratching both with the sharp rear target sight. Then I went deer hunting locally. My dad was with me. So, being careful, I handed him the rifle to hold so it would not get scratched. And I asked him to be careful. He carefully leaned it against the truck just for a second to adjust his binos just as carefully. I did not see that and carefully closed the truck doors shut and the rifle carefully dropped on some sharp rocks, amassing few more dings in the process. I then carefully mentioned to my dad, that he was supposed to look after that rifle and not let things like rocks carefully embedded in the dirt scratch it. He said he was sorry but that I should stop being so careful, as it is a rifle meant to be used. So I did. I don't think the rifle suffered another scratch since.

What's the point of this drivel? Just use the rifle as is and enjoy it. Carefully!

To stay on topic, though, the B&C stocks for the CZ 550 are very good, so just get one and don't sweat what other one to get. Manners also makes some good ones for CZs but I never handled one so can't compare. But be careful I managed to scratch that one too. And what a shame. It was pristine.

I'm guessing that since the 9.3x62 doesn't require a magnum action, that what I need is the B&C "CZ 30-06 American" rather than the "CZ 550 American Safari"
Correct. Not the Safari the regular models.
The Richard's stocks options are even more confusing as they split the "BRNO CZ 550" into three inlets: "600" "601" and "602". How do I know which one fits my rifle, if any?
The 600 model is the right action length. I no longer have the ZKK 600/601/602 series rifles, so can't say how close they fit but 601 was short action, 600 regular/long action and 602 was the magnum action (like CZ 550 Safari).

It is always interesting a view on full length stocks. They were a carry over from the muzzloader area where the wood was in place to protect the barrel from damage vs the wood.

I have always loved the look of the full length stocks, have one in 9.3x62 and 300WM. I would take a exhibition grade $5000 Turkish walnut stock to the field and hunt with it. Scratches and dents show that the rifle has been hunted and you will remember where every one of them came from what adventure. Plus if you wanted to restore back to pristine that make more sand paper and oil finish.

That said @Milan is correct on the 600 model being for a long action. B&C also makes a fine stock.

Mine shoots so good with that stock I wouldn't change it for anything else. It is a hunting rifle not a museum piece. I don't know why you think that stock is delicate. It seems pretty robust to me compared to my Mannlicher Schoenauers much slimmer and much lighter stock. The bedding assures great accuracy. Take it hunting and enjoy it.

I had a Kevlar B&C stock on my CZ550 375H&H and loved it. Although you (or your gunsmith) will need to bed the action.

I just shoot mine as is... and don't worry about the stock. Having said that, if you anticipate hard use and want to protect against potential failures, the B&C is a good way to go... the rifles that I carry while guiding are in B&C stocks.

20201213_110945.jpg
20240323_093505.jpg

Be sure to get the rest of your outfit correct when pulling our full stocks out for the hunt. Remember the bigger the tufft the more manly prowess of the hunter
220px-Miesbacher_gebirgstracht_mann.jpg

Never seen a cz stock that is too delicate.....just use it as is....my heym 9.3x62 has full length stock ....what you are worried about has never crossed my mind....from rigbys to rugers just use them....

Never seen a cz stock that is too delicate.....just use it as is....my heym 9.3x62 has full length stock ....what you are worried about has never crossed my mind....from rigbys to rugers just use them....

Beg pardon, but love to see that rifle if you're inclined to grab and post a couple photos.

Recently have picked up a Heym in 30-06, along with a companion but in LH that my father has, but a mannlicher stock in 6.5x55 or 9.3x62 would be ideal.

Very nice rifles.

Beg pardon, but love to see that rifle if you're inclined to grab and post a couple photos.

Recently have picked up a Heym in 30-06, along with a companion but in LH that my father has, but a mannlicher stock in 6.5x55 or 9.3x62 would be ideal.

Very nice rifles.
Thought I had a photo of it but seems not....Will take one when back at takeri as its there...in Lusaka at moment

Very nice rifles.

I found photo of it on this thread....

I found photo of it on this thread....

Love the rifle. Hate the scope mount. In a 9.3x62 that mount would get you quite an uppercut to the chin.

Love the rifle. Hate the scope mount. In a 9.3x62 that mount would get you quite an uppercut to the chin.

Nope not at all......scope mount is good.....I don't like high mounts on scopes ...but this works fine for me....bought the rifle many many years ago from Paul when he owned rigbys...he decided that was best detachable mount for it....as said works well, and can use the irons as well if needed without detaching scope

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MckinleyPa

Latest profile posts

IHC-KB5 wrote on Huvius's profile.
Thanks for catching the Flanged brass - much appreciated!
SETH RINGER wrote on RR 314's profile.
HOW MUCH ARE THEY?? PLAIN? CAMO? THX, SETH
USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.