CZ 550 .416 Rigby RAFFLE

I'm shorter than both of you.

Brickburn, I'm 6' 4" . My 404 Jeff (9.5lb 400gr at 2300fps) causes my thumb to contact my lip unless I concentrate. My LOP is 14". I reckon 14.5" is minimum. Thankfully no scope on my 404.

Thanks for that.

I am quite happy I did not attach a scope to this rifle. I might half seen a half moon yesterday!

Thanks for that.

I am quite happy I did not attach a scope to this rifle. I might half seen a half moon yesterday!

I have hesitated going up from 375 for exactly this reason. I am very comfortable with my 375 and can shoot it a lot. My concern with .40 cal is not wanting to shoot it, because of the recoil.

I am very interested to hear what you think once you get comfortable with it.

I have hesitated going up from 375 for exactly this reason. I am very comfortable with my 375 and can shoot it a lot. My concern with .40 cal is not wanting to shoot it, because of the recoil.

It is a step up, but you will be surprised how quickly you can get used to the recoil of the 416's. They are not unmanageable by any means.

as pete said....so think you need to go get one......:D

as pete said....so think you need to go get one......:D

I am actually a half step from turning my 375 into a 400 H&H...:unsure::)

First step in recoil management:
The recoil pad has been removed now. The stock sanded.

Tomorrow off to the wood specialty shop to get a nice chunk of Ebony, then buy a new grind to fit Pachmayr recoil pad.

Then the refit starts in earnest.

Hank, it just dawned on me. :A Bulb:
Since you are of like stature, perhaps you can share the LOP on your Rigby??

LOP on the Rigby is 14 3/8".

I find whenever discussions of recoil start, about any caliber, that some say it's too much, while others say no, it's manageable. It's difficult to have a discussion about recoil, as with many things, without making sure we're talking about the same thing. So at the risk of getting us (way) off track with your issue Wayne, here goes.

The "manageability" of the felt recoil generated by any rifle depends on a number of factors, including, but not limited to:

First, and this is important, is both the weight of the gun, and the balance of the gun. A well designed stock, fit apart, will go some way to mitigating felt recoil.

Second, is the fit of the gun to the shooter. A poorly fitting gun will almost always punish you more than a well fitting one. Off the shelf guns tend to fit the 'average' shooter. The more you differ from the average, the more poorly the gun will fit you.

Third, is the weight of the bullet. Light for caliber bullets will have lower recoil, I'm told, that heavier bullets. Something about physics.

Fourth is the shooting position. Shooting a .416 Rigby from a bench is not the same as shooting it standing up. Equally, shooting it prone is different from shooting off of sticks. I would be surprised if anyone - and I do mean anyone - thought it was fun to put a half dozen rounds through a .416 from a bench. My .300 Win Mag hits me pretty hard from a bench. The .416 is enough to do some damage to your shoulder, if not your face.

Fifth, we need to look at the shooter. Some of us are smaller than others, some are larger, and we have different builds. A runt will have less body mass with which to absorb the recoil.

There is another website with tried to offer an objective measurement of recoil. They devised a 'recoil factor' for various (dozens of) calibers. The recoil factor is the recoil velocity multiplied by the recoil force for various bullet weights. I have no idea if that's a meaningful way to calculate anything, but I don't really think that's relevant, since this is a relative measure across calibers rather than an absolute measure.

A recoil factor below 100 they suggest could be handled by anyone, while a recoil factor over 1000 was described as "very painful." 400 - 700 is described as "heavy." So here goes, with thanks to them for this:

Caliber and recoil factor

25-06: 146

30-06 246

.375 H&H 628

.416 Rigby 1187

As you can see, using this measurement, which, again, is relative, so should work for our purposes, the .416 is considered "very painful." My Rigby fits me well, is well designed, well balanced, and reasonably heavy. I would think all of those are to be expected, since Rigby made it. The recoil is therefore mitigated to some extent. I can assure you I have never felt the recoil when shooting at a buffalo, even when I've had to put multiple shots into it. Equally, I can tell you that I have never really enjoyed shooting more than a couple of rounds off a bench, and in fact, I try not to - I have a fear of developing a flinch! (As an aside, it also appears as if the .416 is quite a step up from the .375 (which is my experience)).

I have also shared Wayne's experience - most people who see me shoot it at the range are interested, but very few want to take a shot, once they've seen the recoil in action on someone else. Even fewer want to take a second shot.

http://www.chuckhawks.com/recoil_table.htm

A well developed table that describes the weight of felt recoil and energy of a huge mound of different rifle calibers. Chuck Hawks also has these tables for shotgun and pistol, according to the Google search results.

I spent a fair amount of time looking this thing over in recent past.

http://www.chuckhawks.com/recoil_table.htm

A well developed table that describes the weight of felt recoil and energy of a huge mound of different rifle calibers. Chuck Hawks also has these tables for shotgun and pistol, according to the Google search results.

I spent a fair amount of time looking this thing over in recent past.

This must be where the "other website" got the information required to calculate its recoil factor. Either way, it's clear that the .416 Rigby is a significant step up in terms of recoil from the .375 H&H.

This must be where the "other website" got the information required to calculate its recoil factor. Either way, it's clear that the .416 Rigby is a significant step up in terms of recoil from the .375 H&H.
Anyone that has ever fired the two calibers does not question this!

I can shoot my .375 H&H from the bench 14-15 times before I have to stop and go to a lighter caliber. I can shoot my Rigby 5 or 6 times from sticks, and that is it for the day!!!

I can shoot my .375 H&H from the bench 14-15 times before I have to stop and go to a lighter caliber. I can shoot my Rigby 5 or 6 times from sticks, and that is it for the day!!!

It will be interesting to see what the increase in LOP does for me in regard to shooting this rifle. I'll also get something more than a T-shirt between me and the recoil pad too. :)

I'll also get something more than a T-shirt between me and the recoil pad too. :)

Although, @matt85 would counsel against that I believe. You must accept the mule's kick as being a part of your own flesh, an aspect of your very being...

Although, @matt85 would counsel against that I believe. You must accept the mule's kick as being a part of your own flesh, an aspect of your very being...

I'm thinking a fleece shirt, not extra padding.

Wimp:E Dozing Off:

;)

Seriously, I hope you do end up enjoying this cartridge.

Bang off one box of these in succession and I guarantee you drop the selling price on the rifle.

I hope to have it ready to hunt sooner than later. Thx.

I think those who grew up hunting in various parts of Africa, particularly South Africa, are somewhat bemused by the fact that the rest of the world do not shoot big bores regularly. Pierre an der Walt credits the success of the 375 H&H to North American hunters, indicating (I think) South Africa's hunters use the bigger stuff. I picked up the same message from the recently posted videos from the Southern African Wildlife College courses, and the rebuke about being familiar with magnum length actions.

In our defence it seems to take a lifetime to develop their degree of comfort. So, when they say shoot hundreds of rounds, I am sure they do not mean in a fortnight! Take your time with it (y)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gwendolyn7

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.
sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.