Buffalo Cow Pictures

dmyers

AH veteran
Reaction score
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
Namibia, Canada,
I posted a question the other day about renting a buffalo rifle for a future hunt I’m planning. One question I’ve also wondered about is how exciting is a buffalo cow hunt? Has anyone done one? I’m not considering replacing my bull hunt with a cow hunt but what about a combo hunt? Anyone been on a cow hunt? How was it? I’m more of a hunt experience guy over an inches guy/trophy guy so I have no problem hunting cows if it’s as challenging and fun. Comments and experiences….?

Trophy picture from AH member @Obelix
full

Last edited by a moderator:
We hunt quite a bit of cows. This can be just as exciting, if not more exciting than the bulls, remember, cows run in herds with calves which makes them alert and agressive.

all the same adrenaline, just for a quarter of the price...

some cows hunted.

Attachments

• SDC10340_zps029fc5c2.jpg
    SDC10340_zps029fc5c2.jpg
    570.8 KB · Views: 393
  • CopyofSDC10708.jpg
    CopyofSDC10708.jpg
    262.1 KB · Views: 293
  • SDC10180_zpse1d39b22.jpg
    SDC10180_zpse1d39b22.jpg
    253.7 KB · Views: 341
  • SDC10734_zps8829dc6f.jpg
    SDC10734_zps8829dc6f.jpg
    495.1 KB · Views: 268
  • SDC10185_zps72ce26e3.jpg
    SDC10185_zps72ce26e3.jpg
    260.7 KB · Views: 308
I think you found your hunt! It's definitely cost effective.

The only difference is in the ultimate trophy.. horns and boss... rest of the hunt is just as exciting and as discussed, sometimes even more of a challenge due to their alertness and aggressive nature when with calves around.
I suppose, rather like hunting tuskless elephant... who are far mpore challenging at times.

some more cows hunted

Attachments

• IMG-20140521-WA0002_zpsc0sufcmc.jpg
    IMG-20140521-WA0002_zpsc0sufcmc.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 234
  • 20140518_081937_zpsuvsyzvtp.jpg
    20140518_081937_zpsuvsyzvtp.jpg
    405 KB · Views: 238
  • 20150908_170537_zps5dil3gqj.jpg
    20150908_170537_zps5dil3gqj.jpg
    460.8 KB · Views: 240
I would totally shoot a cow. They look at you with that same pissed off look. When I saw a cow for the first time and she stared at me (probably 100 yards away) it still made me go oh god how far am I from the truck!

But it is something when you see the big bosses of a bull. But to me I rather shoot a cow, have the experience and then go shoot something else. Think of it like this, I figure bulls cost 15k, I can do a cow for 4 and shoot a Sable at 8 and still have 3k to shoot something else.

But that is just my way of thinking.

even some nice trophies can be made of them...if you like?

Attachments

• Buffelkoeietrofee.jpg
    Buffelkoeietrofee.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 251
  • Trofeefotos002_zps68bbadc4.jpg
    Trofeefotos002_zps68bbadc4.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 226
A buffalo Cow hunt in my opinion is as exiting and can be more exiting, it has its own challenges as you will be hunting them in herds.... more eyes and more noses to fool.

The hunt is exactly the same as hunting for a bull!! You need to use the same techniques than hunting your bull you just take aim on a different animal in the herd!! Buffalo hunting is buffalo hunting, male or female it doent matter

All the best

Great pics and comments in this thread! I'm headed over for a cow hunt in November. Can't wait!

Catahoula you are going to have a blast. Who are you going to hunt with?

So here is a twist for you folks.

How do you decide which cow to shoot? No calf is obvious , but what else do you look for? Udder size? :K Booby:

:E Shocked:

And to be clear, I am NOT belittling hunting of a cow. I'd do it no problem.

Great news! I'm hunting with Paw Print again this year! Pieter will show you some good buff cows. Be careful though those things will come after you. What rifle are you taking?

Great news! I'm hunting with Paw Print again this year! Pieter will show you some good buff cows. Be careful though those things will come after you. What rifle are you taking?

I'm taking a Ruger No. 1 in 416 Remington and a Remington 700 in 8mm Rem Mag for plains game. I'm sure I will have a fantastic time!

After looking at some of the pictures here. I think the cow cape buffalo is more impressive then alot of South American bull water buffalo.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EstebanO84

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

ghay wrote on Joel Rouvaldt's profile.
Love your rifle! I'm needing a heavier rifle for Africa. Sold my .375 Dakota Safari several trips ago. Would you have any interest in a trade of some sort involving the custom 338/06 I have listed here on the site ( I have some room on my asking price. I also have a large quantity of the reloading components and new Redding dies as well as a box of A-Square Dead Tough ammo.
dogcat1 wrote on WAB's profile.
They are yours. Please send your contact info and which pair you want.
Thanks,
Ross
FDP wrote on dogcat1's profile.
Hello, did both follow through with their transactions? If not, I'll take a pair
Roan hunt of a life time !

IHC-KB5 wrote on Huvius's profile.
Thanks for catching the Flanged brass - much appreciated!