CAMEROON: Has Anyone Hunted With Mayo Oldiri Safaris?

Rakman

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
I’m looking for any experiences with, opinions, any info you may want to share. I’m looking at their Bongo/Forrest Sitatunga hunt as well as Eland/Buffalo/Roan

Thank you

I have not but their on-line reputation appears stellar for what that is worth.

There are a couple of members that have. Hank2211 did a great write up on his hunt with them.

Guav Johnson of Mayo Oldiri is a PH who I follow and watch his hunts/success on social media.
His knowledge and passion stands out even just through the internet.

There is a great report of a gentleman Hunting west Africa with Guav and Mayo here on AH. Im certain they should be on your short list for a jungle hunt. I wish I was in your position in planning a epic adventure. Good luck!

Mayo Oldiri is excellent. this opinion based on 50 years traveling annually to Africa including 6 extensive West Africa safaris. Mayo Oldiri has been the best outfitter I have used in Western Africa.

Here’s my report from ‘16. An excellent outfitter. PM me with any questions.

I’m looking for any experiences with, opinions, any info you may want to share. I’m looking at their Bongo/Forrest Sitatunga hunt as well as Eland/Buffalo/Roan

Thank you
They are one of the top outfitters. They will not let you hunt LDE, buffalo, and roan together on one trip. This is why I didnt book with them or any of the other big outfitters. I went with Faro East which was booked by The Hunting Consortium. Most of the outfitters only allow you to hunt off of one license. You can buy two licenses with no problem.
Hunting the big 3 there was really great. I hope to go to the forest someday.

They are one of the top outfitters. They will not let you hunt LDE, buffalo, and roan together on one trip. This is why I didnt book with them or any of the other big outfitters. I went with Faro East which was booked by The Hunting Consortium. Most of the outfitters only allow you to hunt off of one license. You can buy two licenses with no problem.
Hunting the big 3 there was really great. I hope to go to the forest someday.
My understanding is they have changed that policy and you can hunt three Class A species on one hunt.

My understanding is they have changed that policy and you can hunt three Class A species on one hunt.
That would be a big change and one for the better. I truly resented the fact that, although perfectly legal, most of the outfitters would not let you buy two licenses.

I’m booked with them for February of ‘24 on Mayo Nduel. My PH is Alan Vincent, who has been hunting for them for a long time. Nduel is also where Guav Johnson does most of his LDE hunts. I’ve known Alan since the 1980’s, when I used to hunt with his father, so we’re long time friends. He has a very high opinion of Cameroon hunting and Mayo Oldiri in particular. I certainly do hope I’ll be able to buy 2 licenses as taking LDE, Roan AND a buffalo will be my focus if they allow it.

That would be a big change and one for the better. I truly resented the fact that, although perfectly legal, most of the outfitters would not let you buy two licenses
That would be a big change and one for the better. I truly resented the fact that, although perfectly legal, most of the outfitters would not let you buy two licenses.
My understanding is they hit you with a second hunt fee…like charge for a separate hunt if you want to be able to do more than 2 A class animals. If I’m incorrect in that please someone inform me.

Is it against the law to hunt more then 2 class A animals at time? A lot of hunters can’t afford cameroon more then once in there life like me.

My understanding is they hit you with a second hunt fee…like charge for a separate hunt if you want to be able to do more than 2 A class animals. If I’m incorrect in that please someone inform me.
Hi Nick,

I hope you are well ! In Cameroon outfitters will sell you a saf with licence that includes 2A and 4B animals. If you want to shoot one more A you need to buy another licence. The reason why some outfitters sell you the second licence as another hunt or do not sell another license at all is because we have a very few quotas of animals, and so we cannot sell only the hunting license for another A animal (+ trophy fee and dps) because it takes the quota of another hunt we can sell. Most of the outfitters in Cameroon have 8-10 animals per species on quota not more and usually we shoot less than the quota authorized in order to preserve the quality of the trophies. At least we do that in our concession. And yes it is forbidden to hunt more than 2A per hunting licence.

Best regards,

Romain

I’ve hunted with Mayo Oldiri in both the forest (bongo, sitatunga) and the savannah (LDE, etc.). Hunts were both successful and reports are somewhere in here.

Both hunts were with Guav Johnson, who, I hate to say it (in case he reads this), I believe is one of the best PHs in Africa. I don’t think he hunts the forest anymore, but he does hunt the savannah.

They do have some great areas. The only knock, and whether you call it that depends on what you’re looking for, is that their camps are pretty rustic (and I’ve hunted some rustic places). There are much nicer camps, available with some other outfitters in Cameroon, which have virtually the same reputation as Mayo Oldiri. Some other outfitters even have air conditioning, which, depending on your sensitivity to heat and humidity, can be a godsend in Cameroon.

I also think that that they “mis-handled” my forest hunt. I was confirmed in a particular camp, and on arrival was told I would be going to a new camp “in a new area, not hunted for many years”. That was true - the area hadn’t been hunted, and because of that, the poachers had had a field day. We found poacher’s camps virtually every day, but no animals, not even duiker. After more than a week of this, and making a fuss, I was sent back to the original camp. It turned out that a famous Mexican hunter had requested to hunt the camp I had originally been assigned to, and so I was bumped. Since he got what he wanted in the camp I was supposed to be in, he apparently was prepared to ”allow me” to come back. I got both animals I was looking for there.

They may disagree with this ”cause and effect” but both my booking agent (who was with me) and the Mexican’s booking agent who was in camp with him, were of the same mind.

Left a bad taste.

I want to do this hunt someday. Bongo and LDE are too of my favorites. Hard choice on location.

I have booked a forest hunt with Mayo for this season and I am very excited about it! Ever since seeing my first picture of a Bongo I was fascinated by its brightly colored coat with the dramatic white stripes! The collecting of trophies is not my thing but the rainforest, the pygmies, silver back gorillas, forest elephants, and maybe some “bad hombres”! Ha! Now that sounds like we could be talking about a serious adventure! I have arranged for one hunt with the option of staying on and buying a second hunt if necessary or if desired. I’m an outfitter and exhibit at many shows. I see many of the outfitters and booking agents for the forest hunts at these shows and have gotten to know many of them. Ultimately my decision was made based on dealing with Raquel! She the daughter of the owner if I understood correctly and she is really on top of things! I get the feelings she is the one that “runs the show”! She seems detail oriented, organized, and a very hard worker! She was willing to do things for me in customizing my hunt that nine of the other companies I visited with were willing to do! I have an ER doctor friend from Bismarck ND who hunts with me here in Kansas. We have been friends for over twenty years. He is a big time hunter, traveling the world to hunt each year, and hunted with Mayo on the Savannah this past season. He told me all about the hunt and I was impressed with how Mayo took care of him. He had a tough start to his hunt with cattle and poachers and very little game seen. What did the folks at Mayo do? They moved him to an entirely different camp and he got all of his trophies in no time! So there is the rub isn’t it? All of the other outfitters and booking agents I thought of going with bragged on being a small operator and not “BIG” like Mayo. They lamented the number of animals Mayo shoots as if it was a sin to be a big operation! Well, think about it! All you here about these hunts especially the Savannah hunts in the North is how the poaching and cattle and so forth has made the hunting very difficult! I had more than one South African PH’s tell me that they were not booking for 2025 because the quote “wanted to see how 2024” went before committing to 25! They said they got their animals in 2023 but just barely!
So there you have it! Mayo had great communication with me when the other companions did not return my calls or answer my questions prior to booking. They have many camps and many ph’s and many vehicles and many dogs! Get the point! If things go awry my thought is they will have more flexibility to make adjustments and salvage my hunt. Just my thought process for what it’s worth! This is Raquel in the photo. I have never met her but on the phone she has been very helpful! I sent some buddies to her booth at SCI this week and she sent me this picture of her at the show
ec6f1d89-be7c-4998-bea2-9b7be6319503.jpeg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ByronCarus

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.
sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.