Any experience with the Winchester SXR2?

kypatchwork

Reaction score
Recently noticed that there’s been some of the Winchester SXR2 released in the US that are chambered in 9.3x62. A little research indicates that these are a pretty close (exact?) copy of the Browning BAR.

Anyone owned one of these or maybe a BAR in the chambering? I’m especially curious as to how the gas system might respond to different loads and if it tends to damage brass. I reload so that’s definitely something that’s important to me. Looking forward to any feedback you might have. Cheers.

Attachments

• Winchester International - Products - RIFLES - SEMI-AUTO - A-WSXR2COMPO.pdf
    159.2 KB · Views: 35
I have a Browning Short-trac in 7 WSM, and it has no particularly bad habits. Not exactly a reloader’s dream with brass flying etc., but aside from problems with the original camo finish, since replaced by Browning after a class action lawsuit, it’s been a good rifle. I’d buy it again.

bought an sxr in 30-06 and i am pleased with it. the bolt looks just like the bolt in my browning and in fact the whole gun looks like a long trac. i mounted a leupold euro 30 3-9x50 on it with a german #4 might i add that reticle is great. i shot it the other day and it seems to have reputable accuracy for an semi auto a 1" group at 100 yrds with a hornady 165 btsp. I like it cant wait to test it out this fall on a deer.

Interesting? I didn’t know Winchester was manufacturing these. I was kind of half looking at the Benelli R1 in a .338WM but a 9.3x62 might be interesting.

It appears that Browning has been making the SXR2s for the European market for quite some time.
Lipsey was able to import some of these a while back... I have one in 300 win mag.. Have a buddy that has a couple, one of those being a 9.3x62.
They look to me like a MK3 with sights and a Winchester trade mark.. Mine shoots great.. Would have no problem buying another.. In fact, probably will since there's a rumor floating around that Browning has discontinued the BAR.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AuroraW86

Latest profile posts

ghay wrote on No Promises's profile.
I'm about ready to pull the trigger on another rifle but would love to see your rifle first, any way you could forward a pic or two?
Thanks,
Gary (417)860-5888
Heym Express Safari cal .416 Rigby

Finally ready for another unforgettable adventure in Namibia with Arub Safaris.

H2863-L348464314_original.jpg
Unforgettable memories of my first hunting safari with Arub Safaris in Namibia (Khomas Hochland) !!!

Namibia.jpg
Oryx.jpg
Kudu.jpg
ghay wrote on Joel Rouvaldt's profile.
Love your rifle! I'm needing a heavier rifle for Africa. Sold my .375 Dakota Safari several trips ago. Would you have any interest in a trade of some sort involving the custom 338/06 I have listed here on the site ( I have some room on my asking price. I also have a large quantity of the reloading components and new Redding dies as well as a box of A-Square Dead Tough ammo.
dogcat1 wrote on WAB's profile.
They are yours. Please send your contact info and which pair you want.
Thanks,
Ross