Any 41 magnum shooters?

image.jpg

The 41 is my favorite cartridge in a centerfire revolver. The 57/657 are my favorite DA, you got a beauty. Have fun, the cartridge has a lot of potential, great handgun hunting cartridge.

I have 2 57s. Recently inherited from my uncle. One like yours and a longer barrel also.
I've not fired them at all yet though.
I also have a new in the box marlin 1894s but I think that will be sold for my aunt. Just not sure the value at this point.

I was cruising a pawn shop in Durango Colorado years ago and they had a Ruger 3 screw Blackhawk in 41 mag in their showcase. It followed me home.

Since I have heaver handguns for hunting I just load it up with 215 grain lead round over some Unique. I've taken a few javelina and one mule deer with it so far. Other than that I use it as a plinker.

'Had 1 (657 hunter) but sold it. It did NOT perform like a .44 in hunting and the .44 is still used for bear defense in AK. It was much more of a pleasure to shoot than a heavily-handloaded .44. Still have some brass and poss. the dies. I'll have to look when next up at the farm. I don't think I sold the dies w/ the gun...This could take a few days to a week!

I have a custom 41 Magnum built by John Gallagher. It has a custom holster with Gallagher’s name on it that was actually made by Thad Ribka.

It is a very fine hunting revolver and it will do anything I need a revolver to do. The Ruger 41s are built on a 357 sized frame so they are lighter than the comparable gun in 44.

The famous bear guide, Wayne Boscowitz used a Ruger in 41 for yeas because it was light but very effective on wounded bear and moose.

The 41 was also popular in Idaho where hound hunters liked it for bear and lion.

The much more popular 44 magnum uses bullets of .429 inches. The 41 uses bullets of .41 inch.

The difference of .019 inches in diameter. Meaningless in terms of effectiveness on game in my experience and opinion.

*The case is 4 gr larger. Makes a BIG difference. The difference between shooting a downhill deer and the bullet NOT exiting the body, and the deer becoming lost in brush country (when recovery dogs were not legal.) ;)
1714160373319.png

I have 2. A Contender in 41 mag that I use for egg shoots at my club and for hogs close up. The other is the Scandium framed S&W model 357. No, it is not a 357 mag. The 41 mag is Model 57. The light framed guns have a 3 prefix. It weighs about 17 oz. It is a carry gun for bow hunting in grizzly country.
I only shot it once. It kicks worse than a 454 Casull.

I have a 625 mountain gun from the first run back in the early 90s i think. I love that one and took a mountain lion with it.
Also a 32 h&r magnum.
I bought that one new but currently have it in consignment at a local gunshop. Don't wanna put more wear on it and it's fairly collectible.

I just picked up a nice model 57. You don’t hear much about the 41 and wondered if anyone had experience with it.
I have brass and bullets but need to get some dies.
I think I have a set of RCBS dies and I doubt I’ll ever get another .41 mag. Pm your address. It appears the decapper is missing, the die is there just no ball or primer punch. If you want them I’ll send them.

Last edited:
Can you use the 45 colt in the 625 45acp?.....and in usa are the half moon or full circle clips easy to find?...have one back where I come from but the clips have kinda disappeared with moving etc...

*The case is 4 gr larger. Makes a BIG difference. The difference between shooting a downhill deer and the bullet NOT exiting the body, and the deer becoming lost in brush country (when recovery dogs were not legal.) ;) View attachment 601679
NO exit wound, no blood. It was sad! :( I just succumbed to Physics after that! Use More Gun. -RR but i'll find you what you need. (I used to hunt deer via treestands in thick stuff with pistols....41 they run away w/ no blood trail. .44 IF i nicked the spine/spinal chord they were DRT! If i hit where i aimed, they were found at the end of a short blood trail. That's what I meant. :) Then they came out w/ the 454/460/500. 460 is the KING of pistols. I don't have to explain any further. LOL Because it weighs 12.5 lbs, i'll just carry my fav rifle in any caliber. LOL

I think I have a set of RCBS dies and I doubt I’ll ever get another .41 mag. Pm your address. It appears the decapper is missing, the die is there just no ball or primer punch. If you want them I’ll send them.
I really the offers but another member has already set me up with a set of dies.
AH is a wonderful place!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeraMadira

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

IHC-KB5 wrote on Huvius's profile.
Thanks for catching the Flanged brass - much appreciated!
SETH RINGER wrote on RR 314's profile.
HOW MUCH ARE THEY?? PLAIN? CAMO? THX, SETH
USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.