An AH Booze Cruise

In light of how popular the Whiskey Appreciation thread has been... I thought I'd ask about other spirits...

Whats everyone's preferences? Any particularly excellent bottles out there that are little known or heard of that you really like or enjoy?

When a fine whiskey isnt available, or youre just looking for a nice alternative, whats your go-to adult beverage of choice?

I'll start with fine rums.. having spent a good bit of time in the Caribbean and scooting around latin america over the years I have learned to appreciate a nice sipping rum...

What I think is probably the finest rum ever bottled surprisingly comes out of Haiti of all places.. Rhum Barbancourt 15 year is absolutely divine.. and extremely affordable for an aged spirit (about $50 for a 750ml bottle).. the challenge is finding it anywhere in the US.. not a lot of places carry it.. so on the rare occasion I see it, I always grab a bottle..

Up until about 2010 I was still traveling to Haiti for work fairly regularly (have been traveling there off and on since the mid 90's).. you could pick it it in liquor stores around Port Au Prince for as little as $12 a bottle back then.. I miss those days (and also miss Haiti sometimes in a weird sort of way..)...

View attachment 563267

another absolute favorite is Ron Zacapa XO... I was just in Guatemala last week and managed to catch 2x liter bottles on a special at the duty free for $199 out the door.. most places in the US carry the 750ml for about $100 a bottle here.. so getting 2 liters for roughly the same price as what 1.5 liters would have cost here I thought was a good deal.. Its been a few years since I have sipped Zacapa XO, so I poured a couple of fingers last night over a single cube of ice.. it was just as wonderful as I remembered.. silky smooth, just slightly sweet, with rich toffee notes on the finish...

I think I'll be pouring a couple of more fingers of the XO tonight! :)

View attachment 563266

Yeah zacapa is good....another nice rum is mount gay from Barbados

Bit busy at moment but I will be back to this thread.... :A Thumbs Up: :D Beers:

Ps... @mdwest when I read the header I got very excited at the thought you were organising a full on booze cruise.....oh well never mind :A Banana:

Last edited:
A beautiful Irish whiskey that I discovered a couple years ago is the Teeling Small Batch. Incredibly light and smooth with an almost fruity finish. Hard to beat for the price.

1697193616939.jpeg

@mdwest, have you tried the Nicaraguan Rum, Flor de Caña? It’s a fine rum, the distillery was about 10 miles from the town I was born.

1697193941265.png

Belle Meade regular and cask strength bourbon! Not super well know but very very good for the price!
Screenshot_20231013_071536_Samsung Internet.jpg
Screenshot_20231013_071544_Samsung Internet.jpg

I don't drink much anymore, but for me a good gin with a bit of plain seltzer water and a slice of lime is hard to beat. For a good gin, at least in the eastern USA, I have found Dogfish Heads micro distillery makes a great one for mixing. Another excellent one is Conniption out of NC. Both to me are a bit more citrus forward. I also had an excellent one from Manatawny still works in PA that was aged in tequila barrels.

@mdwest, have you tried the Nicaraguan Rum, Flor de Caña? It’s a fine rum, the distillery was about 10 miles from the town I was born.

View attachment 563401

From 2014-2017 I made annual trips to Esteli, Nicaragua in support of a little non profit I was running. I was introduced to Flor de Cana by Jonathan Drew of Drew Estate (we would stay in the DE villas when we visited)…

Wonderful stuff…

FdC is another label where there were always great deals at the duty free in the airport in Managua… :)

Oh, you were in tobacco land. That area is quite beautiful, and the temperatures are always pleasant. Drew State makes some fine cigars, I am a huge fan of Liga Privada, and their Undercrown lines. :)

A beautiful Irish whiskey that I discovered a couple years ago is the Teeling Small Batch. Incredibly light and smooth with an almost fruity finish. Hard to beat for the price.

View attachment 563400

We visited the teeling distillery on our last trip to Ireland. The tour was ok.. the tasting at the end of the tour was outstanding!

My wife brought home some mixed drink/tea recipe that feeling provided.. we served it at our Bos en Dal DSC party last year… I’ll see if I can find it.. if I do I’ll post it here… it’s a delicious treat.

I was just stopping in to see if anyone had mentioned Flor de Cana but y'all are a step ahead of me. I had it for the first time on a spearfishing trip to Big Corn and was pleasantly surprised.

Oh, you were in tobacco land. That area is quite beautiful, and the temperatures are always pleasant. Drew State makes some fine cigars, I am a huge fan of Liga Privada, and their Undercrown lines. :)

Right in the heart of my favorite tobacco plantations and favorite cigar factories on the planet :)

When someone hit me up with a charitable concept that would “force” me to visit Esteli every year to check on our projects… they didn’t have to twist my arm too hard… :)

Ps... @mdwest when I read the header I got very excited at the thought you were organising a full on booze cruise.....oh well never mind :A Banana:

You know… there are a lot of large lakes in the DFW area…

Renting a couple of oversized houseboats with well stocked bars and doing an evening “cruise” during DSC….

That could be a fun event! :)

You know… there are a lot of large lakes in the DFW area…

Renting a couple of oversized houseboats with well stocked bars and doing an evening “cruise” during DSC….

That could be a fun event! :)
Someone would be sure to drown.

Or could just head to Sneaky Pete's on Lake Louisville.

Thats actually an outstanding recommendation!

(although someone would still likely find a way to drown :D )....

In lieu of Blanton's @Backyardsniper ;), I'll sub Forrester 1910

1697206251972.png

I also like a little

1697206331866.png

MAYBE I"M JUST PARCIAL TO BLUE LABELS :LOL:. If anyone wants to donate a Johnny Walker Blue let me know !!

Image1697206764.115274.jpg

We are visiting family in Nova Scotia. This is a local gin that is outstanding. The dulse gives it a very unique flavor.

Image1697206764.115274.jpg

Hmm, I think variety is my favorite spice in this life, besides adventure. If I am abstaining from whisk(e)y, here’s my quick roundup:

Vodka - Titos is really the only one I drink, because vodka is only used to make other drinks (bathtub gin and nocino)

Gin - Hendricks is my favorite, followed by The Botanist and Castle & Key
1697204456501.png

Rum - I don’t really care for much, but Koloa Rum & Ron Zacapa 23.
1697204278344.png

Brandy/Cognac - Almost all of them

1697204685970.png

I enjoy various kräuterlikör type drinks. I also like a good bottle of Porto when it’s cold outside (usually Sandman because it’s all I can find).
1697206953902.png

We can talk about all the top shelf booze we want, but there’s still nothing like a cheap well rye!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SylviaColl

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

cwpayton wrote on CM McKenzie's profile.
Sir ,is that picture of you packing the shoshone river trail thru buffalo pass? Im trying to get a plan togather for a ride. do you pack professionally or for pleasure. thanks
Cal {cwpayton}
ghay wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Is this rifle sold? If not what is the weight of it and do you know if there is enough difference in diameter between the 35W and the 9.3 to allow for a rebore to a 9.3x62 which is what I am after?
Thanks,
Gary (Just down the road in Springfield)
Woods wrote on Hunter-Habib's profile.
Forgive me if this is the incorrect area, I signed up to this forum just now because I wanted to be on the list to purchase a copy of your autobiography. Please feel free to pass my information along to whomever is selling. Thank you so much. I look forward to it!
I like the Tillie in my picture. They are supposed to fit loose (2 fingers inside hat band), have mesh for cooling, and hold their shape after washing.
SSG Joe wrote on piratensafaris's profile.
From one newbie to another, Welcome aboard!