470 NE non solid for elephant?

Masai

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
Will the bonded 470NE penetrate enough to hunt elephant?

Hi, so I got a Merkel 470NE (side by side) and looking into using it for my next elephant hunt. Checking ammo online I see the Hornady 500gr Bonded DGX (https://www.hornady.com/ammunition/rifle/470-nitro-express-500-gr-dgs#!/) I see they offer solid and bonded. Given that I will shoot some other animals (impala, buffalo, baboon, etc) I wonder if to bring only bonded (instead of also solid) is reccomended for elephant, given that most likely Ill be taking a side brain shoot on the elephant.
Here a pic of my rifle :):
1715368782385.png

Attachments

• 470 Nitro Express 500 gr DGS® - Hornady Manufacturing, Inc.pdf
    1.5 MB · Views: 5
I woudn't use a soft of any construction on an elephant. Nor do I think you'd find a PH who would recommend/allow it. Although you're planning on a side brain, your shot opportunity (or necessity) may dictate a frontal brain, potentially under duress.

I'm headed to Zimbabwe in July for tuskless elephant with my .470ne and was told to bring 10 solids and 10 softs..... the softs are incase I want to used my .470 for game other than elephant.

As others have stated - I would not recommend softs for elephant, nor do I believe that any PH would allow you to use them.

FYI - Midwayusa has bonded DGX & DGS .470 in stock currently.
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1001965694?pid=972726

Attachments

• Hornady Dangerous Game 470 Nitro Express Ammo 500 Grain Hornady DGS.pdf
    2 MB · Views: 15
As Habib said recently "sure, you can shoot the elephant with a bonded bullet, AFTER you know he is dead!"

His skull is pretty thick. I'd use good solids.

Hi, so I got a Merkel 470NE (side by side) and looking into using it for my next elephant hunt. Checking ammo online I see the Hornady 500gr Bonded DGX (https://www.hornady.com/ammunition/rifle/470-nitro-express-500-gr-dgs#!/) I see they offer solid and bonded. Given that I will shoot some other animals (impala, buffalo, baboon, etc) I wonder if to bring only bonded (instead of also solid) is reccomended for elephant, given that most likely Ill be taking a side brain shoot on the elephant.
View attachment 604850
In a word - NO

Only solids on elephant no negotiation

Like everybody says. I wont use Hornady of any kind , period , there is waaaaay better ammo available

Like everybody says. I wont use Hornady of any kind , period , there is waaaaay better ammo available
can you name some or share some links that I can buy online please?

Attachments

• 474 500gr Safari Solid-Nitro Express - 20ct.pdf
    2.2 MB · Views: 6
There are others, such as north fork and some of the African-made bullets that are also highly regarded but cutting edge appears to have bullets in stock. In 2024, the reality is that availability is going to drive a lot of decisions. The good news is cutting edge is regarded as either in the top tier or the single best solid.

As other stated Solids for Elephant

We have Hornady 470 NE DGS for $195 box plus shipping if you need some.

Your PH will insist on solids. You want to keep him happy as well as safe

Last edited:

View attachment 604850
Do keep in mind your regulation needs as not all factory ammo will work. If you load, even better. Or, you can have the rifle re-regulated to a load if your choice.

But to beat the dead horse "deader"...no softs for the Ele.

They not cheap ... for good reason

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanvanwoerkens

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

ghay wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Is this rifle sold? If not what is the weight of it and do you know if there is enough difference in diameter between the 35W and the 9.3 to allow for a rebore to a 9.3x62 which is what I am after?
Thanks,
Gary (Just down the road in Springfield)
Woods wrote on Hunter-Habib's profile.
Forgive me if this is the incorrect area, I signed up to this forum just now because I wanted to be on the list to purchase a copy of your autobiography. Please feel free to pass my information along to whomever is selling. Thank you so much. I look forward to it!
I like the Tillie in my picture. They are supposed to fit loose (2 fingers inside hat band), have mesh for cooling, and hold their shape after washing.
SSG Joe wrote on piratensafaris's profile.
From one newbie to another, Welcome aboard!
BLAAUWKRANTZ safaris wrote on Greylin's profile.
We have just completed a group hunt with guys from North Carolina, please feel free to contact the organizers of the group, Auburn at auburn@opextechnologies.com or Courtney at courtney@opextechnologies.com Please visit our website www.blaauwkrantz.com and email me at zanidixie@gmail.com
Zani