AH member
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Asia/M.East
Hunted
NZ, Australia, Japan, Kyrgyzstan, RSA
This is a bit of a review on a trip I just did with Emerald Sky Safaris in the PE region

There are so many international hunts I want to do including the Ukraine for Sika Deer, Hungary for huge Fallow, Nth America for Moose and Elk as well as Kazakhstan for Ibex but for some reason I keep returning to South Africa. It’s probably the value for money and multitude of game animals available as well as the relative safety and quality of hunting operations available.

It’s my second time with Emerald and my 3rd trip to Africa. My first trip was just ok and I went to a property in the Veld around two hours from Pretoria. Though I shot some animals I thought the hunting was a bit artificial and a bit of a ‘put and take property’ which is not what I’m used to or want. I’m an Ex Pat NZer now living in Australia and I wanted a more wilderness experience.

The property Emerald Sky has is 9,000 Ha so it’s just big enough for you to actually feel you are away from fences and that the animals there are actually wild and running free.

I prefer bow hunting but I’m not going to turn down rifle opportunities if animals are not coming into blinds.

Unfortunately conditions were the same as last year, it was a new moon and very wet and cold on the first few days. I was really after a Kudu bull with the bow but it wasn’t to be. They were just not coming into the blind though we spent the first few morning and afternoons in the blind, all I really got opportunities at were Oryx. I shot a nice Oryx bull with the bow last year so these were not on the menu this trip.

I did manage a nice Ostrich from the blind on the second day just to get off the mark so I was happy with that.
IMG_0065-2.jpg

Wednesday we had planned a rifle hunt for a Duiker on a friend’s property in Port Alfred. This place is a free range cattle station and has quality Common Duiker and Bush Buck.

We had only been on the place for 20 minutes and my PH Kevin Farrell guided me onto this lovely Duiker. I used their .375 H&H Brno with a monolithic solid so as not to damage the cape.
IMG_0075-2.jpg

Returning to the main property I was not happy with my bow shooting. I had actually injured my arm during the pistol club season back home and as a consequence was not grouping arrows as well as I have been able to. One morning we spotted this nice Warthog and Kevin and I got into range via a convoluted spot & stalk. I managed to down him with one arrow and so at least I had taken one animal with my compound bow.
IMG_0082.jpg

With only 2 and half days left to the trip we decided to focus on a trophy Kudu with the rifle and so this is what we did. Typical isn’t it when you are Bow hunting we saw quite a few trophy Kudu out of bow range but when we went to the rifle we could only find non trophy versions.

I did manage this Jackal, which is one animal I’ve really been after since day one as well as a Nice Blesbok, and Springbok. I was also lucky enough to shoot only the second Bushbuck ever taken off this property.
The Kudu just were not cooperating though and it looked like I was going to go home with out one.
IMG_0110-2.jpg

IMG_0128-2.jpg

IMG_0072-2.jpg

It was literally the last 15 minutes of light of the afternoon of the last day when we spotted this bloke. Though he’s not really a trophy I decided to try for him, as I didn’t want to go home without a Kudu again.
I took him with one shot at 209 yards with the PH’s .375 H&H and he dropped on the spot.
I had hoped for a 47" minimum Eastern Cape Kudu so he's not really a wall hanger trophy he is an animal I will cherish because of the challenge of the hunt and the pressure I was under to achieve my goal.

I’m back home now and already dreaming off taking a monster Kudu with the bow. Anyone recommend any good places for bow hunting Kudu- Greater or Eastern Cape, Steinbuck & Nyala on a decent size property please PM me?

Cheers

Attachments

• IMG_0128-2.jpg
    IMG_0128-2.jpg
    157.2 KB · Views: 117
  • IMG_3507-2.jpg
    IMG_3507-2.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 141
  • IMG_0072-2.jpg
    IMG_0072-2.jpg
    173.5 KB · Views: 144
  • IMG_0110-2.jpg
    IMG_0110-2.jpg
    208.1 KB · Views: 141
  • IMG_0133-2.jpg
    IMG_0133-2.jpg
    189.2 KB · Views: 176
  • IMG_0063-2.jpg
    IMG_0063-2.jpg
    232.2 KB · Views: 124
  • IMG_0082.jpg
    IMG_0082.jpg
    158.1 KB · Views: 132
  • IMG_0075-2.jpg
    IMG_0075-2.jpg
    175.7 KB · Views: 141
Last edited by a moderator:
Good day @avon_7 ,

Welcome to the forum. You are welcome to send me a PM. We are based in the Eastern Cape, and I will be happy to present you with a Kudu&Nyala bow package, concentrating on these two animals.
Please let me know if I can assist in any way.

Take Care,
Marius Goosen

Thanks for for sharing your experience with us, congrats!

Congrats.

Thanks for sharing your hunt.

You should be able to find someone to provide a hunt on those species pretty quick.

That's a very nice common duiker!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChauChilds

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you