375 H&H issues?

WestCo

AH member
Reaction score
Hunted
Zimbabwe
I've put about 40 rounds through the new barrel, doing a very slow shoot and clean after each shot the first 10 rounds and the repeating that after 2 shots for about 10 rounds, then the same for 3 shots. The 300g Nosler Partitions didn't shoot well, I thought the 300g A-Frames were going to be perfect, on Sunday my last 3 shot group were all touching but today they were a at 1'' at best. Then I tried some 300g Woodleigh Hydro Solids. They actuall shot fairly good, and had a reasonably close POI as the A-Frames, however when I would load 2 of the solids in the magazine, while loading the top one with the bolt, it would just kick it out to the side and eject it before even chambering into the barrel. I repeated the process numerous time and the same thing happened each time. However the A-Frames had no issue at all chambering. Again this is a Rem 721 action, Sako style ejector, and a new barrel job. Any pointers would be appreciated as would be any suggestions about the bullet performance so far. I have shot quite a lot over the years and am really conscious of squeezing and not pulling the trigger.

Are all of your scope mounting screws (bases and rings all inclusive) cranked down extra tight ?
Likewise, are all of your stock screws extra tight as well ?
Even though you have a push-feed action there, nonetheless it should not toss out live rounds on their way to the chamber.
Probably need to consult a Gunsmith on the cartridge pre-mature ejecting issue (I can almost hear Mr. Spike.T giggling already).

Have you checked the magazine? My A-Bolt magazine had a slightly bent up top edge (I am not sure if it has a technical name, sorry) it would kick out the first round it I filled the mag to capacity. A new magazine fixed the problem

Took it by the gunsmith that rebarreled it for me. He took it all apart and tried a new follower, a different spring, and still doing it. However, he tried some ammo that he had that is brass cases and it fed perfectly. Now we are both thinking WTF? Is it possible that the nickel cases on the Federal Premium ammo is that much slicker and is causing the issue? But damn, I have 2 more full boxes of both 300g A-frames and Woodleighs. Had anyone else ever heard of such a thing?

I'll look into a different magazine for it. I'd like to think that I wouldn't have to depend on more than 1 shot, but as soon as I do that, we all know what happens.

Took it by the gunsmith that rebarreled it for me. He took it all apart and tried a new follower, a different spring, and still doing it. However, he tried some ammo that he had that is brass cases and it fed perfectly. Now we are both thinking WTF? Is it possible that the nickel cases on the Federal Premium ammo is that much slicker and is causing the issue? But damn, I have 2 more full boxes of both 300g A-frames and Woodleighs. Had anyone else ever heard of such a thing?

Yes heard of other people having that issue, but mainly with the big cases like 505 Gibbs. Take a light bit of sandpaper to the nickel cases and see what happens.

However, he tried some ammo that he had that is brass cases and it fed perfectly. Now we are both thinking WTF? Is it possible that the nickel cases on the Federal Premium ammo is that much slicker and is causing the issue?

Yes, @ActionBob had this issue with his .505. He roughed the cases up a bit to solve as I recall.

Yes heard of other people having that issue, but mainly with the big cases like 505 Gibbs. Take a light bit of sandpaper to the nickel cases and see what happens.

Or I could read the entire thread before answering. Nah..... :A Hey:

Shoot the nickle cases, single shot, then run them through a reloading dies, and load them up, see if the problem persists.

Solved the feeding issue. Put a different follower in and also changed out the magazine box. Feeds all types of ammo perfectly now. However, in leaning towards putting in a HS Precision detachable magazine that is center feed, and would take almost all the feed issues out and give me a spare magazine to just quickly stick instead if fumbling around with one round at a time in a stressful situation.

Still having issues with shooting factory groups at best 1.5”. Not sure if I'm being to picking, but I think I'm going to go down the handloading road. I'd like to see if I can get somewhere in the 3/4" range. I have 300g TSX and am trying some H4895 and some W760. If neither of those work I'll try RE 15. Any good advice on the loads would be great. Still trying to determine if a crimp is necessary or not.

Solved the feeding issue. Put a different follower in and also changed out the magazine box. Feeds all types of ammo perfectly now. However, in leaning towards putting in a HS Precision detachable magazine that is center feed, and would take almost all the feed issues out and give me a spare magazine to just quickly stick instead if fumbling around with one round at a time in a stressful situation.

Still having issues with shooting factory groups at best 1.5”. Not sure if I'm being to picking, but I think I'm going to go down the handloading road. I'd like to see if I can get somewhere in the 3/4" range. I have 300g TSX and am trying some H4895 and some W760. If neither of those work I'll try RE 15. Any good advice on the loads would be great. Still trying to determine if a crimp is necessary or not.

Glad you got the feed issues worked out. H4895 is a bit fast burning for the 300gr bullet, but maybe works out. It works great with 250gr TTSX and North Fork bullets for me.

I started to say something that V D might say in the right circumstances, but no, I'll just go away instead!

Shot 300 TSX with H4895 and I had some pretty darn good groupings, typically in that 1/2" to max 3/4", I used the gunvice as well to sight-in..

I am only happy with all my big bores if they shoot under one quarter inch, sub half on a so-so day!:rolleyes::whistle::LOL: If they don't, there is something wrong with the rifle, never me!:eek::D:p:confused::rolleyes: Glad you got the feed issues fixed. Don't think I would get overly excited about it not shooting well. Good ol IMR4350 is a great powder for this round. as are the 4831's. IMR4064 is what Win used to load theirs with.

I use 75G of Win 760 with 300gr and get 2583fps with Sierra Gamekings

Is one of the issues that I am having is the barrel twist rate of 1:10.5? I thought the gunsmith told me it was a Douglas, however i can't find a 1:10.5 twist on their web page. they only start at 1:12. I'm really hoping I am not getting a bad job done by this gunsmith. I've taken different stuff to him over the years and he has always done me right. I'm just starting to second guess things due to a new barrel having such an issue with the factory loads too. I thought that I had read somewhere as well that the faster twist was a good bet for the heavier 375 bullets?

You can check your rate of twist pretty EZ

What is your go to way to check the twist rate
An on line video will do a far better job than me writing it, Google how to measure rifle twist rates, Larry Potter field has the easiest method. I went thru the twist rate question when I re-barreled my 375hh to 404 jeff, everybody had a different opinion on twist rates. I got some info from CZ and it was backed up by my GS so I went with their suggestion,

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kimber12N1

Latest profile posts

new updates !

SETH RINGER wrote on RR 314's profile.
HOW MUCH ARE THEY?? PLAIN? CAMO? THX, SETH
USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.
SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH