.280 For Plains Game?

AaronR8

AH member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I am booked headed over in March 2024 for my first Plains Game hunt.

I’ve recently come into a .280Rem and quite like it , does anyone have experience with it in SA? I will look to top it off with a Leopold 3.5-10x40

Species on the list (at the moment) are ;
1 x Blesbuck
1 x Zebra
1 x Impala
1 x Springbuck
1 x Warthog

I’ll get the right bullet and put in the time on the range but I would be good to hear actually experiences.

Hi aaron
I hada client use this calibre aerly this season
Hunted
Impala
Wildebeest
Zebra
Warthog
All went well
Make sure absolutely no twigs in the way path must be totally clear

Had to look it up, it's a 30-06 necked down to 7mm. It should do fine as long as you pick a bullet appropriate for your area and range.

-Matt

The wife has taken her 280 to Africa 7 times. Harvested everything from jackal to eland !! No problems at all. 1st 6 safaris used Hornady 139 gr GMX superformance ammo!! Worked great. Then Hornady quit making the ammo!!!‍♂️ last trip she used 156 gr Norma oryx custom hand loads at around 2900fps. Worked fabulous!!!

my 280 is a browning A-bolt ss left hand with a leupold 3.5-10x, i have only shot deer with it. i shoot swift scirocco 150gr boattail bullet with a healthy dose of imr 4831 at 2850 fps, i could shoot that bullet faster. but its a solid 3 shot 100 yard .75" groups.

Hi All,

I’ve recently come into a .280Rem and quite like it , does anyone have experience with it in SA? I will look to top it off with a Leopold 3.5-10x40

1 x Blesbuck
1 x Zebra
1 x Impala
1 x Springbuck
1 x Warthog

I’ll get the right bullet and put in the time on the range but I would be good to hear actually experiences.
I am planning on bringing mine in May of 2024.

I know you are asking for actual experience.
I used a 7mmRm hire rifle in South Africa.
Had a .280a.i. built since then after some input from members here and research into the 7x57, 7x64 and .280rem.
Essentially they are all pushing 7mm projectiles at adequate speed for the species you list.
The first consideration I would have is can you get ammo of yours is misplaced in transit. Secondly what is the likelihood of that. Im not wanting to sound negative but apparently it can happen and hopefully it's rare.
There is probably a broad range in actual velocity across the cartidges I listed but a 7x57 was used to take elephant by a fella named Bell.
Pretty sure the outfitter was loading SST projectiles for the hire rifle I used. I had 10 one shot kills as mine was a management hunt.
My own experience with the .280a.i was hunting Fallow deer with great effect.
There are a ton of suitable quality projectile options available. In 7mm.
Comparing the .280 and .280 a.i would be like comparing the .280a.i. and 7mmRm.
Slight advantage to the bigger round but shot placement matters.

@Mark R. Have you used a .280a.i. on plains game?

Great combo, basically a 7X57 on steroids, or like a 7x64, but not as fast as a 7mm Remington Magnum.
Correct. It is more like the “7mm Express.” :) my dad bought a 742 Woodsmaster in .280 in 1965 in Tripoli, Libya. Purchased in Africa and I don’t know if it ever killed in Africa. He killed a bunch of animals stateside with it. It is a great round. Could not take it to many African nations today due to being semi auto.

You will be perfectly equipped with your 280 Rem and Leupold 3.5x10 scope. I have that scope on a 270 and really like it.

The 7x57 (also known as the 7mm Mauser and 275 Rigby) is a very popular PG rifle in Africa. I just used mine on a PG hunt in Zambia with @spike.t I loaded 7mm, 160 gr Swift A Frames and they performed as advertised. Took Sable, Lechwe and Puku. Many others here on AH have reported similar, excellent results.

Hi All,

1 x Blesbuck
1 x Zebra
1 x Impala
1 x Springbuck
1 x Warthog

i have a great load for my 280AI with 160 gr A Frames, just shy of 3k fps. but i havent seen any 160 gr A Frames in a year or more.

I have some 175 gr partitions loaded up and ready to go. if i can get 2750 and MOA accuracy, ill just stick with those.

I like Oryx 156 gr, but i just couldnt get enough MV for my satisfaction. Very low BC on those bullets, so to me, 2900 fps is minimum MV that would work.

My 7 SAUM is very similar to your.280.
I have killed Klipspringer to eland with it. If you reload there are a lot of good bullets to use. Good luck.
Bruce

I have an improved 280 and though I haven’t used it on plainsgame, I’d have no hesitation on the animals you list.

Go for it! My stock 280 Rem has taken game on four continents. It really likes 140 Barnes - their factory load for it.

Attachments

• 591937 – Used Guns.pdf
    1,018.7 KB · Views: 45
The 280 will do what a 7mm mag will do... just not quite as far.

I used my 7mm in Africa. Two zebra, roan, impala, hartebeest, reed buck. All but one of the zebra were DRT. I muffed the zebra shot and borke a shoulder - had to do some tracking. Not the fault of the caliber.

I used 160 grain Swift A Frames for all these animals.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DarrenGril

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on RR 314's profile.
HOW MUCH ARE THEY?? PLAIN? CAMO? THX, SETH
USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.
SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.