1st time hunter needs help...

I really like my Tikka T3 Lite in .308. It did well on my wildebeest hunts! The CZ-550 in 375 H&H is on my short list for my next rifle and I have heard many good things about them. Which Savage are you looking at?

My suggestion is if it all possible at least handle and better yet shoot the rifles your are interested in. What feels/works best for you will be very subjective. Same goes for scopes

All of the rifles mentioned are good rifles.

Because you are a first time hunter and this would be your first rifle, I am going to go against the grain and offer up one of the packages offered by Savage (includes rifle and optic.) Not sure how accessible they are in SA, but I would think that from a cost perspective, you would be able to get into a decent rifle and glass for a very reasonable cost.

I would go for the cz. I have a cz 550 in 375 that I absolutely love. My next rifle will probably be the cz 30-06 with the manlicher stock. I really like that one!

While the .308 is a fine round I would lean towards the .30-06 for the capability of shooting heaver bullets. The .308 is good up to about 170 grains bullets and then starts to fall of quickly and that's if you can find a heavy bullet for the .308. Where the .30-06 will go up to 220 grain+ and still be shooting quite fine.

For rifles any of the ones that you have mentioned are fine rifles. I personally would lean towards the Tikka or the Savage but then I am not familiar with the others.

I would go for 30-06 CZ 550.......if you manage to get license in a week, please let me know your contact.

No Sh*t!
ROFLMAO :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Simon, you did not see his last name was Zuma!

Lol ranyati is a white guy from joburg.That is just the name to google, not hes real name hahahaha

I never thought the weight of my CZ was all that heavy my 308 even had the Mannlicher Stock that had a detachable Mag as for the CZ in 375HH Scoped and Loaded it tipped the scale at 13lbs a real beast
I own a few Savages and like there Accuracy at modest prices I'd look at the 110 series, also some of the sweetest Rifles I own are Surplus Mod 98 Mausers converted to Sporter usage I probably own 5-6 of them

I haven't had good comments on the savage.Had a look at the 111 fcns,116fcss, axis stainless steel xp.114 American classic

20141217_153824.jpg

In just a little over two weeks I'll be in RSA with one in 7x57. It will be my son's rifle to use on our hunt although I'm sure to use it too. The price is quite a bit more than we'd pay in the USA for it, but that doesn't surprise me with the VAT you have.

I am a M70 fan, owning 5 of them so I'm biased. But I don't think you'd be disappointed in this rifle in the least.

Ok thank you very much. Wil be having a look at it next month and also going to have a look at a 98model musgrave 30-06 with lynx scope...

Thanks for the great input that everyone has given me.Must be the best forum I have ever been part off in my life.

I looked long and hard at a M70 featherweight in 7x57 and got real close but at 750 USD I just couldn't do it without biting into my Namibia Fund,,I got lucky and scored a small ring Mauser sporter for about Half the money.and seeing as how I'm the president of the Minnesota Chapter of the home for Wayward Mausers it will fit right in

There is nothing wrong with Savage. I've had two I. The past ten years....a 7mm package that came with scope sling and case. Also same package in 270 that I fave to my son.

Hi guys.The k98 musgrave loads bullets from the top en the Winchester has a magazine. Is there any flaws in loading from the top.Never had a gun in my hands or any knowledge of a top loading rifle.please assist

You learn to use them both without problems. No flaws.

I shoot a 30-06 CZ660 and have never had a signal problem, it's a tool to me.

I will try break it down for you,I hope you take my advise the way I intend it.

From what you write, you have never owned a rifle and from what I understand you have not shot one either or have no experience with them.
So here is some method to my madness. Recoil between the 308 and 30-06 can be a jump up for the novice shooter. There is nothing a 30-06 can kill better than a 308 if shot placement is correct and premium ammo is used,this is right up to Eland. As a new shooter/hunter a 308 will serve you well for many,many years. Nothing wrong with a 30-06 and the war between the choice of the two calibers is just as old as the war between supporters of the 9,3x62 and the 375H&H. It boils down to couple feet per second,grains and grams. I will always choose the shortest cartridge that delivers on par performance (except for the Short Mags).

Working of the basis that you chose the 308 as your caliber,I will narrow it down by choosing calibere specific actions. Actions that have been designed or built around the caliber it will fire. CZ actions in the 308 and 30-06 range are the same,so is the action Musgrave use (VZ 24) a 308 round looks kind of lost in these actions as there is a lot of space between the tip of the bullet and the ramp. Under recoil the shorter bullets tend to move around a bit more in the magazine.
Tikka,Sako and Remington have calibre specific actions for their rifles. Whether it's a top fed or mag fed rifle makes little difference in the medium calibers,it's the magnum and DG calibers were I will only consider a top fed rifle.
For your first rifle I do suggest a wooden stock to add some weight and balance to the rifle. Just take care of the wood.

Forget about a Varmint/Sniper type rifle with heavy barrel etc,but a hunter class/type rifle. They are fine out to 300 meters which is way to far for you to shoot as a new shooter/hunter anyway.
Choose a scope to match, a 3-9x42 is more scope than you initially need,but enough to use for many,many years. Get the scope mounted as low as possible on the rifle.
Do not get a rifle with a Hogsback style stock,stick with a straight stock.

Forget about a rifle that is guaranteed to shoot half inch groups, a rifle that shoots 1 inch groups is more accurate than you can shoot from field positions anyway.

The last consideration is after market parts and factory warranty. Remington and Tikka probably have the greatest selection of aftermarket parts available.

If you choose a 308 take a Tikka in 30-06 a CZ is fine.

My best suggestion is not regarding the rifles,go and find a gunshop or training centre or pay a reputable Hunter/Shooter to take you to the range and teach you a few things about rifles and safety. That is the best investment you can make in yourself and your hunting/shooting future.

Best of luck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Roll_the_Knob!

Latest profile posts

sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.
Vonfergus wrote on JamesJ's profile.
I am interested in the Double
Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.