1st time hunter needs help...

I have only shot a 308 lever action and 375 H&H...Never ever had my own.
Love and fully understand what you say and thanks a million. You surely know your stuff!! Can't wait to get shooting.

Can everyone help me on how to see what year model this rifle is please
IMG-20150507-WA0005.jpg

Good advice given by Hunthard safaris here sir. He has outlined solid considerations for you.

You don't give the manufacturer name or model eg. Musgrave 2000. It may be a Mauser action,but could have been rebarreled or redone by a factory eg. Vektor. You will have to give more info.

Musgrave in Ermelo have the records for the rifles. Contact them.

Hi Cornelius. A very important question is, are you going to reload or buy ammo? If buying ammo is your choice, the 30-06 is better as you are able to purchase 200 and 220gr rounds for the 30-06 (if you are going after blue wildebeest, zebra or eland). The 308 is slightly more limited as to the bullet weight you can buy, mostly will only be able to buy up to 180gr.

Second point is when working the gun, the bolt action must always feed reliable rather than smooth. the K98 / mauser action on the CZ is a controlled feed action, always picks the round from the mag and pushing the "locked" round into the chamber. It is nearly impossible to open the bolt without reliably extracting the round. The tikka is a "force" feed action, the round is only locked into the bolts extractor after its is pushed into the chamber, it sometimes happen when you need to reload fast that you only half cycle the bolt and in the heat of the moment, you open the bolt again and the round remains half chambered and is not extracted, thus your second attempt to cycle the next round cause a jam, one round in the chamber and second half sticking of of the mag and jamming against the first round.

this is an extremely important point when hunting dangerous game, but walking up to a "downed and dead" blue wildebeest that suddenly arise from the dead will not be far behind....

Just something to consider. I own both and love both calibers and rifle makes.... wont go wrong with either!

I have phoned musgrave and they dont have any details on the rifle.
I have a loader kit.So i think i wil be looading myself.Wil just buy the "dies" for the calibre. Thanks guys

I see on the barrel it is a model 98 and on the other side is the 3006 k98 0132...is it then maybe a rifle made in 1998?

the k98 is the type of action, also referred to as a model 98

is there any other markings on the barrel (name, etc...) will normally be on the top side of the barrel, if possible send foto. this will help to tell if it was made in Ermelo or earlier in Bloem

it doesn't look like a Musgrave. they normally write their name on the barrel, will be in front of the sights

Not sure.Went googling the musgrave and the 3 marks on the right That looks like antlers is a trademark.Its what they say anyways

Can't see that it would be a Musgrave,front of the action has either been extensively machined or replaced. Musgrave retained the original round shape of the action.
Buy new,buy once and you have a guarantee if something goes wrong,too much money to spend on a iffy rifle.
Problem rifles are a dime a dozen, save yourself some trouble and buy new.

the antlers in you previous picture is the proof mark. if this is a Musgrave, most probably built by Vektor (after the factory closed in Bloem, moved to Pretoria and rifles was built by Vektor) If rifle was built by Musgrave (Bloem) or JJ in Ermelo, there will be a name "Musgrave" engraved in the length on the barrel on the top.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AishaYpd4

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross