Your favorite new production double rifle manufacturer?

If money were no object, I would have loved to see Krieghoff's "Essencia" in 577!
Good God, ..
Essencia-Full-Gun.png

Last edited:
Best value: a Chapuis (I have one) or a Heym. I like the look and handling of the Chapuis. Although I have to confess that the VC round body double is really beautiful.
If money is no object, you could close your eyes and pick from Holland & Holland, Purdey, Westley Richards or the Rigby Rising Bite.
Krieghoff "Essencia" in 577 ..
Essencia-Full-Gun.png

My choice for anything up to .500 Nitro Express, would have to be Merkel (they don't offer their double rifles in any bigger calibers than that).

For a .577 Nitro Express or a .600 Nitro Express, I'd have to go with the Heym Jumbo.

I am seeing a rise in popularity of doubles, don't know if it is just me because I am honed in on them right row, but it they are all over AH.
CNC machining and superior steels has allowed all of the big boys - Heym, Chapuis, Kreighoff, Markel, Verney Carron to put an excellent product in our hands without too much pain. Sabatti is an interesting one, I don't know them well, never handled one, but by all accounts they are not bad at all. Marketing dictates that a lower price point anchor naturally evolves and keeps the next tier realistically priced. I think they are it.

Man that's a tough one Matt, have to say my V/C 577 is it, the Alfred Schilling 500 Nitro Express custom boxlock built on a Merkel action with 26" barrels is a sweetheart in it's own right, having only older versions of English doubles i cant compare the old Holland Royal with 26" barrels to anything new that they produce, but i can say they damn sure had it right in 1910, that rifle does indeed swing and point like a fine 10.5lb bird gun, if that makes any sense, it's really crazy how they make a rifle look fast lying on a table.

as the title says, whats you favorite double rifle manufactuerer and why? im only interested in current companies that are still producing rifles. i figure this thread could help people who are looking to buy a new double rifle but cant decide on what to buy.

dont forget to explain you decision.

-matt
I have the Chapuis in 450-400 3 inch NE and could not be happier
1. Quality of the gun is excellent
2. The engraved Buffalo does not have that flat engraved look…nicely pronounced
3. Very tight lock up
4. Excellent balance
5. Perfect weight matching caliber translated means I can shoot it all day with comfort and take elephant

HH and it’s not even close, otherwise … assuming favorite is the qualifier.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RayHumble

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on RR 314's profile.
HOW MUCH ARE THEY?? PLAIN? CAMO? THX, SETH
USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.
SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.