Reloading for 416 Rigby in 2024

Northern Shooter

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
I'm new to reloading but would like to start with 416 Rigby to reduce the cost of feeding this rifle. I've been paying approximately $12/round (Canadian) for factory ammo.

If I were to buy all components today, what would the approximate cost per round work out to?

Bullet $2.30
Brass $5.27
Primer - priceless or $2.25
Powder - $5.15 imr 4831 103 grains 67rounds / lb - $95.00 + $250.00 shipping.

If you can find any of the components.

there is a range price in of bullets , on the cheap side there are some 350 gr Speers available again after a 5 year hiatus, 1.20/bullet, then there are Hornady DGS/DGX and barnes, about 3CA$/piece. then there is A-frames and partitions at 4$/p. Nosler solids 8$ , Woodleighs not there.

I found a local reloading site with component prices.

The cheapest I'm seeing for bullets is the 350 grain Speers $1.21 ea, the Barnes 400 gr TSX are $2.38ea and the Hornady 400gr DGX are $2.78ea.

I'm not seeing any 416 brass cases listed but I have over 100 factory rounds (Sako, Hornady & Barnes).

The cheapest large rifle magnum primers are Federals at $0.15ea.

I'm not sure what I'm going to need for powder but know that the typical Rigby case will hold approximately 100 grains.

So I'm thinking this will be doable to reload for around $4-5 Canadian per round depending on powder prices.

I use H/IMR 4895 for the light monolithics ( 255 gr), H100v for 350gr Barnes TTSX and RL19 for 400 gr (h4831 would work too)

Well if you have been firing factory ammo you should have the brass on hand....

I'm coming up with USD$2.75 per cartridge if you can get the powder, primers & bullets .... powder and bullets both in stock at midway..... being Canadian, good luck with that.

That's with DGX 400gr, IMR450 or RL22 powder & figuring $0.15ea for the primers.

I found a local reloading site with component prices.

The cheapest I'm seeing for bullets is the 350 grain Speers $1.21 ea, the Barnes 400 gr TSX are $2.38ea and the Hornady 400gr DGX are $2.78ea.

I'm not seeing any 416 brass cases listed but I have over 100 factory rounds (Sako, Hornady & Barnes).

The cheapest large rifle magnum primers are Federals at $0.15ea.

I'm not sure what I'm going to need for powder but know that the typical Rigby case will hold approximately 100 grains.

So I'm thinking this will be doable to reload for around $4-5 Canadian per round depending on powder prices.
where are you finding LRM primers???

Reloading is great.
You will also need to factor in the cost of quality reloading equipment (unless you have that already) plus the appropriate dies for the 416 Rigby.

Reloading is great.
You will also need to factor in the cost of quality reloading equipment (unless you have that already) plus the appropriate dies for the 416 Rigby.
I think when I did the math once, a kind of mid range setup could be had for about $800. I compared that to my cost of making 375H&H --- at the time, I think most rounds were $8/ea compared to component cost making it $1.50/ea for a cost savings of 6.50. Basically meaning the break-even point of buying the equipment had a floor of 120 rounds.

All figures are from memory, but should illustrate the point. Big bore or obsolete cartridges almost require reloading --- like, I don't exactly think 375WIN is the hot cartridge on the shelf at most stores these days. It's much harder to break even on the cost of equipment for common calibers where the price difference is under a quarter.

Reloading won't save money, but you do get to shoot more!
If your saying that you end up shooting more reloads than factory for the same money, then I agree with your logic.

However if you are saying that the cost is the same then I beg to differ - Adjusted for Canadian dollars and going with the $12ea($240 per 20) reported by the OP - Compared to the $2.75/$3.00($55-$60 per box of 20) you can load them for with your own brass..... You could pay for your introductory investment in equipment with the first 60ish rounds of reloading.

If your saying that you end up shooting more reloads than factory for the same money, then I agree with your logic.

However if you are saying that the cost is the same then I beg to differ - Adjusted for Canadian dollars and going with the $12ea($240 per 20) reported by the OP - Compared to the $2.75/$3.00($55-$60 per box of 20) you can load them for with your own brass..... You could pay for your introductory investment in equipment with the first 60ish rounds of reloading.

+1

Certainly we can man-splain the cost savings to our wives, but reality says to budget for the additional room added to the house with central heat and air, built in cabinetry and benches, additional presses, powder storage,,,,and other reloading "necessities".

Besides, like I said, you do get to shoot more.

If you're patient and shop around, eBay, ect. You can find quality reloading equipment used and save $ a press here a scale there a hopper here, ect. Next thing you know you'll have your set up. There was billions of pieces of reloading equipment produced over the last 125 years and id argue that reloading isn't as prevalent with younger generations as it was from the 1930s to the 80s or 1990s. So again be patient and look for it. Trust me you'll find it. I've turned at least 4 good friends onto reloading over the years and they all pieced together there collections and have quality lifetime equipment vs some of the stuff produced today.

Certainly we can man-splain the cost savings to our wives, but reality says to budget for the additional room added to the house with central heat and air, built in cabinetry and benches, additional presses, powder storage,,,,and other reloading "necessities".

Besides, like I said, you do get to shoot more.
That’s your fault for having a wife, I don’t have that obstacle- nor do I have built in cabinetry or lots of the other “necessities” others have…

But I did load 50rnds of .470ne at a cost of $2.25 per round this evening vs. Hornady factory DGS @ $12.00 per round…. Saving $485ish dollars.

Again you are correct about getting to shoot more, because if I didn’t reload I wouldn’t be shooting 50rnds of .470ne a week!

The last press I picked up was from a local classified ad:

• Dillon 650 with case feeder.
  • All 4 shell plates
  • 4 tool heads with powder measures/powder dies Also the fancy stands for them
  • Strong mount, bullet tray, roller arm upgrade.
  • 9mm dies, and I think 45 ACP dies.
  • 3x shell plates, 1/2/3/5 locator buttons
  • Light upgrade
  • 2x priming assemblies to swap them out wholesale
  • extra primer tubes. Powder check die
  • Bunch of miscellaneous.
My grand total I paid for that lot was $800. IIRC when I totaled all the parts up, retail was $2500.

My 550 was basically the same. People panic buy reloading equipment during shortages and then sell when they lose interest or realize it takes a minimal amount of learning. If you know the value of what you see, it's easy to capitalize the opportunities.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kenjohnson1967

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

FDP wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Good morning. I'll take all of them actually. Whats the next step? Thanks, Derek
Have a look af our latest post on the biggest roan i ever guided on!

I realize how hard the bug has bit. I’m on the cusp of safari #2 and I’m looking to plan #3 with my 11 year old a year from now while looking at my work schedule for overtime and computing the math of how many shifts are needed….
Safari Dave wrote on Kevin Peacocke's profile.
I'd like to get some too.

My wife (a biologist, like me) had to have a melanoma removed from her arm last fall.
Grat wrote on HUNTROMANIA's profile.
Hallo Marius- do you have possibilities for stags in September during the roar? Where are your hunting areas in Romania?