Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
NRA, SCI, DSC
Hunted
South Africa (Eastern Cape and KwaZulu-Natal both twice), Saskatchewan, Oklahoma, Colorado, Texas, Nebraska, Georgia, Florida, Michigan, Mississippi
Extremely accurate!

I've been working on some loads for my 375 H&H that will be going to RSA in June. The purpose for taking along the rifle is red duiker hunting using a solid. So, I picked up some Hornady DGS solids as they are all I could get my hands on at the local store.

Here's what I came up with Hornady DGS 300 gr using Ramshot Hunter @ 2427 fps.
375HampHHunter800grRPbrass1x356-crimpFed215021614_zpsb20994bb.jpg

Moving on to the Barnes TSX 300 gr using Ramshot Hunter @ 2352 fps. I got a zebra in mind for this one!
375HHHunter760grR-Pbrass2xOgive299-crimpFed215032414_zpsef79b8a9.jpg

These loads are not the fastest being about 200 fps slower than published loads, but they are extremely accurate. Both are at max powder charges according to QuickLoad, so I'm thinking my barrel is probably slow, or I might need to look at a different powder to gain some additional velocity. Either way, should I not find a bit more velocity out of a different powder, I don't see why either of these two loads won't do.

Attachments

• 375HHHunter760grR-Pbrass2xOgive299-crimpFed215032414_zpsef79b8a9.jpg
    375HHHunter760grR-Pbrass2xOgive299-crimpFed215032414_zpsef79b8a9.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 145
  • 375HampHHunter800grRPbrass1x356-crimpFed215021614_zpsb20994bb.jpg
    375HampHHunter800grRPbrass1x356-crimpFed215021614_zpsb20994bb.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 134
How much velocity do you need ? only what's accurate.

That my friend, are the perfect loads.

Excellent accuracy, stay with what you have.

To say I'm happy with the current loads would be an understatement. I may play around with some other loads, but I think these will do nicely!

That's impressive. I didn't think that the Hornady DGS's were so accurate. I was getting similar results using Barnes TSX for my 375.

May I ask what rifle you're shooting (and barrel length)?

The rifle is a Remington 700 SPS, with a 24" barrel. I didn't like the stock so I put a Boyd's stock on the rifle and had it bedded. Other than that, the rest is all factory. Scope is an older model Nikon pre-Monarch 3-9x40. Really nothing special here, but it's a shooter.

Are you hunting other more appropriate sized game with your .375?

The rifle is a Remington 700 SPS, with a 24" barrel. I didn't like the stock so I put a Boyd's stock on the rifle and had it bedded. Other than that, the rest is all factory. Scope is an older model Nikon pre-Monarch 3-9x40. Really nothing special here, but it's a shooter.

You're not giving yourself enough credit for those loads!

Are you hunting other more appropriate sized game with your .375?

As of now, all I have planned for it will be the red duiker and zebra.

I'll be taking my 300 WM along for vaal rhebok, bushbuck, oribi, baboon and common reedbuck.

We'll also be chasing a blue duiker, but that will be with either a shotgun or still hunting with a 22, both being provided by my PH.

You're not giving yourself enough credit for those loads!

Thank ya, sir! Much appreciated!

It's funny when out shooting it, I think of the target as being a red duiker. Kinda that mentality of aim small, miss small. I was shooting it off hand at 100 yards to a 12" steel gong. Kinda fun when you recover from the recoil and see the gong doing a little dance. I gotta get a set of shooting sticks and start practicing off of them.

This may sound stupid, but why not just use the 300 on everything?

This may sound stupid, but why not just use the 300 on everything?

Nope, not a stupid question at all. I asked the same one to my PH. :cool:

My PH said he has had bad look of the super fast caliber making a mess of the little guys, especially if the bullet hits bone. So, he asked if I had something bigger that I could shoot solids out of, which I have the above 375 and a 416 Rigby. So, the 375 got the nod. As my PH put it, a nice neat little hole going in and a nice neat little hole going out.

And, for some reason, since I haven't taken any game with this rifle yet, I kinda want it's first to be a zebra. Don't ask me why, I just want it that way.

The 300 WM will be shooting 180 gr Barnes TSX bullets.

Nope, not a stupid question at all. I asked the same one to my PH. :cool:

My PH said he has had bad look of the super fast caliber making a mess of the little guys, especially if the bullet hits bone. So, he asked if I had something bigger that I could shoot solids out of, which I have the above 375 and a 416 Rigby. So, the 375 got the nod. As my PH put it, a nice neat little hole going in and a nice neat little hole going out.

And, for some reason, since I haven't taken any game with this rifle yet, I kinda want it's first to be a zebra. Don't ask me why, I just want it that way.

The 300 WM will be shooting 180 gr Barnes TSX bullets.

Thanks, makes some sense I guess. Just seems a bit counterintuitive to use the bigger gun on the smaller critter. I get wanting to blood the .375 though. Its all I used on my first 3 trips over. Like to use other stuff now. Used a 9.3x62 on 2 trips and a .338 Win mag on 1. This June taking a .405 Win for eland and my boy will be using my dads old .284 Win for PG.

I guess the bottom line, my PH doesn't like to use the hyper fast bullets on the little guys because of the skin destruction. And, since I want to have a full body mount, I'm opting for the least amount of damage as possible. Besides, as long as I do my part, this rifle with product MOA of red duiker.

"Really nothing special here, but it's a shooter. "

that's my new tag line. FWIW Max load of IMR 4350 and 300 grain either Sierra or Noslers work for me. I'm headed over in July, taking my 7 RM, My NEXT safari (Haven't been yet, already bitten...) will be with 375.

I don't think I would change a thing about that load. I would give up the 200fps for that accuracy out of a 375, if you can get more great, but, I wouldn't mess with it. Hitting your mark, with a solid??? What more could you want???

great shooting and excellent speed of the bullet , well done

Greybird,
+1 on using a shotgun on the little ones the size of a Jackrabbit. Especially hunting in a cut over grain field.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LesterPoco

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.
sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.