Why no to the rem 700?

7MAG

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Why don’t clients like using the rem 700 for DG? I understand the perspective of push feed rifles. However, the likeliness of a malfunction is very low. An m16 extractor and dual ejectors takes away any extraction issues. I just want to know why more clients don’t use these rifles especially since the likeliness of their lives being on the line is low, especially with a PH.

The Rem 700, iconic rifle, great for varmint type hunting ect ruined by poor quality control after sale to its last owner . why modify one with extractors ect to get it to be reliable . There are better options out there one being the HOWA 1500 if you want push feed, better design, better m16 style extractor as std better machining tolerances better all round trigger . have a look at one.

Why don’t clients like using the rem 700 for DG? I understand the perspective of push feed rifles. However, the likeliness of a malfunction is very low. An m16 extractor and dual ejectors takes away any extraction issues. I just want to know why more clients don’t use these rifles especially since the likeliness of their lives being on the line is low, especially with a PH.
I have personally had trouble with 2 of them. Sorry not a fan.

If you can scrape the money together to do a DG hunt … don’t show up with an action designed to shoot ground squirrels.

Hunting DG is dangerous … not crazy so but there are risks. If you get really unlucky or make a big mistake you can get hurt or get your PH or tracker hurt.

Buy the best DG rifle you can and don’t put your life or your teams life at risk with a stunt or using second best equipment.

Sorry I’m just referencing the action

The design isn’t inherently bad. The execution is often poor.

Plunger style ejectors rely on spring tension to eject. In practice, they often fail to eject live rounds when cycled full speed…as you would a dud.

Primary extraction can be weak as the timing of the bolt handle, relative to the cam on the receiver, must be precise…and Remington often messed it up.

on the plus side, it’s very strong and lots of accessories fit it.

Ive had a chamber issue on my deer rifle but that's about it really
To me there are so many other options these days. My R8 and my Tikka I find to far superior to anything Remington has ever made.

To me there are so many other options these days. My R8 and my Tikka I find to far superior to anything Remington has ever made.
I have looked at tikka as well, however when I bought my M700 I got it for such a good deal it was hard to pass up.

I have looked at tikka as well, however when I bought my M700 I got it for such a good deal it was hard to pass up.
My Tikka T3 was $600 on GB.

Ive had a chamber issue on my deer rifle but that's about it really
A lot of 700s have this. Remington intermittently used a hammer forging process to chamber barrels and varying thickness recoil lugs to headspace. The result could be wide variations in headspace.

I believe current ones are reamed.

A lot of 700s have this. Remington intermittently used a hammer forging process to chamber barrels and varying thickness recoil lugs to headspace. The result could be wide variations in headspace.

I believe current ones are reamed.
Yes, my casings would get stuck in the chamber er and not be able to be released. I replaced the Lug and barrel

I would own a 700 if the price was right. Though I wouldn’t take it with me half way around the globe for a hunt, but that’s just my preference and choice. I’m sure there are thousands of 700’s that have successfully hunted in Africa (probably PG much more than DG), but not much money needs to be spent to own a definitively better rifle, so why put all the time and money into a safari to go with the kid that was picked last one the playground. This is MY opinion, it doesn’t bother me if anyone disagrees and it wouldn’t bother me to hunt next to someone using a 700.

I would own a 700 if the price was right. Though I wouldn’t take it with me half way around the globe for a hunt, but that’s just my preference and choice. I’m sure there are thousands of 700’s that have successfully hunted in Africa (probably PG much more than DG), but not much money needs to be spent to own a definitively better rifle, so why put all the time and money into a safari to go with the kid that was picked last one the playground. This is MY opinion, it doesn’t bother me if anyone disagrees and it wouldn’t bother me to hunt next to someone using a 700.
For about the same money or a little more get a Win 70 Safari Express. Proven over 100 years, totally reliable and accurate. Dg is just that --dangerous game in every sense of the word. You want the absolute most reliability you can get your hands on. Not just for yourself but for everyone in the party. I've had 700s over the years. Fine for NA except bears but I wouldn't even take one out of the safe for a safari, not even for pg.
My couple pennies.

I got mine for a steal under $500

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MadonnaGar

Latest profile posts

sierraone wrote on AZDAVE's profile.
Dave if you copy this, call me I can't find your number.

David Hodo
Sierraone
We fitted a new backup generator for the Wildgoose lodge!
one of our hunters had to move his hunt to next year we have an opening first week of September, shoot me a message!
swashington wrote on 112Savage's profile.
May be interested in that LH Ruger in 375R. got any pics?
We bagged a big old buff with hunter from Norway check out our post!!