Which Elephant Rifle and cartridge?

My GMA 404 built for me by Reto Beuhler did very well for me. Barnes flat point solid. They switched back to round; I have no doubt the flat point works better. Z6i 1-6 EE. Apparently manufacturers like to stop making the best tools for the job.

An R8 in an appropriate caliber would do the job as well or better in all respects other than aesthetics.
R8 in 404J and yes it’s aftermarket barrel and modified bolt head

Last edited:
So many cartridges it would be “fun” to do with.
I’d like to hunt one with a .50-110 winchester 1886 (modern made, can throw 525gr at 2000fps), or a .378 Wby (on a brno 602).
Heck a .700 nitro would be fun too, but I doubt I could handle that recoil.
Wbys just..look nice.. yes the .30-06 is a bit far back in the photo, not intentional.
Certus: I have a 602 in 378. I thought I was the only person who that thinks like that.

So many cartridges it would be “fun” to do with.
I’d like to hunt one with a .50-110 winchester 1886 (modern made, can throw 525gr at 2000fps)
My first elephant, over 15 years ago was with CMS and my 50 Alaskan lever gun. Buzz said bring your lever gun as we've never done that before. We did a side brain on video and I wrote a story for Safari magazine about it.

IMG_0477.JPG

Wow! Nicely done my friend! Your latest elephant is an absolutely beautiful animal well hunted and taken. Congratulations!!!!

R8 in 404J and yes it’s aftermarket barrel and modified bolt head

What bolt head and magazine insert did you use for the 404Jeff? Been thinking of having a barrel made and wanted to know.

HH

I can’t believe that people are giving this “heart eyes”.

Yall believe that is a 150lbs elephant????

Strange few posts in

Going back to the original question, a scoped .416 Remington Magnum with a factory loaded Federal Premium Safari 400 grain Woodleigh Hydro Solid is an efficient elephant killer. So efficient; however, that you may feel cheated. After growing up hunting whitetails with similar setups, it was nearly too easy. For my next elephant hunt, I will take a Heym 88B PH 470NE with irons and will set as my goal a bull of at least 60 pounds per side. I am still undecided on ammo.
Good points. Having taken my elephant last week and reading from so many great members about their hunts it comes down to what is your vision? For me it is classical Robert Ruark Africa hunting with my 470 DR. For others it is hunting with a modern R8 system that is absolute perfection in its platform. both are excellent…it is strictly your vision that matters. When I complete my big 5 hopefully next year I will look back with great pride in the Africa of old. That is just me

Certus: I have a 602 in 378. I thought I was the only person who that thinks like that.
One day I’ll have one built..one day..
Favourite of the .375’s.

My first elephant, over 15 years ago was with CMS and my 50 Alaskan lever gun. Buzz said bring your lever gun as we've never done that before. We did a side brain on video and I wrote a story for Safari magazine about it.

View attachment 602861

Nice! I’m sure I’ve read the article. Would love to see the video some time.

I sometimes am completely amazed as to how some of our members answer questions posed by first-timers. I am not a John Taylor but agree with him and many other real experts that caliber and bullet construction are the only thing that maters . The brand name of the rifle is of no interest to the elephant but the projectile that smacks him in the head surely is. Sure it’s nice to sit around the campfire and speak of your Blaser, Heym, Rigby or whatever. Only thing you should consider is that your rifle is dependable and you are proficient in its use. As far as optics is concerned, if you have decent eyesight you shouldn’t need any, although a low power scope may help you sneak a bullet through a small opening in thick brush. I have only shot 3 eles to date and with 3 different calibers. 1 with . 358STA shooting 300gr. Woodleighs. one with a .375 Ackley using 300gr Swift solid and the 3rd with a.416 Rigby and 400gr Swifts. Have another hunt planned for next year and may use a 9.3x62 with Swift Solids. Hope this may be of some help in selecting your equipment for you future hunting.

I sometimes am completely amazed as to how some of our members answer questions posed by first-timers. I am not a John Taylor but agree with him and many other real experts that caliber and bullet construction are the only thing that maters . The brand name of the rifle is of no interest to the elephant but the projectile that smacks him in the head surely is. Sure it’s nice to sit around the campfire and speak of your Blaser, Heym, Rigby or whatever. Only thing you should consider is that your rifle is dependable and you are proficient in its use. As far as optics is concerned, if you have decent eyesight you shouldn’t need any, although a low power scope may help you sneak a bullet through a small opening in thick brush. I have only shot 3 eles to date and with 3 different calibers. 1 with . 358STA shooting 300gr. Woodleighs. one with a .375 Ackley using 300gr Swift solid and the 3rd with a.416 Rigby and 400gr Swifts. Have another hunt planned for next year and may use a 9.3x62 with Swift Solids. Hope this may be of some help in selecting your equipment for you future hunting.
What country did you shoot your elephant in with the 358 STA?

For the record my good friend @Philip Glass has taken both the big 5 and dangerous 7. While I only have one more animal to get my big 5 he is always trying to talk me into the dangerous 7!!!
It was good, yet not part of the original plan, for me to hunt that hippo in the Omay last year for leopard bait. A hippo bull on land with a double is something you have to do Mr. FT!
Once you get the Big 5 down I am sure you will come around to my way of thinking.

One additional thought is to look at the Swaro Z8i 1-8x illuminated. I have 3 of them and they are the best DG scope I have found. Not too bulky and 30mm tube is perfection for me. It is precise enough for head shots on impala and croc and worked well in low light for cape buff or full daylight for ele and various PG. It was also perfect for leopard and honey badger at night.
Sure they are fantastic glass. Any Z8 has jaw dropping clarity.
The point I make here as in the recent DG scope video is that there is virtually no difference between 1X and 1.3X. So why not have the more versatile scope with more magnification?

What bolt head and magazine insert did you use for the 404Jeff? Been thinking of having a barrel made and wanted to know.

HH
Mag bolt head opened up and a 300RUM mag insert
j sip and sons did barrel and bolt head
mag I found here in Canada.

Last edited:
Its my first pick…
So if a top end gun maker told you they would make you a single free DG rifle (bolt or double) in any cartridge... You would have it made in 458 WM?

So if a top end gun maker told you they would make you a single free DG rifle (bolt or double) in any cartridge... You would have it made in 458 WM?
For a bolt? Heck yeah! Beautiful cartridge. I’d choose that over the 378 if it was a free bolt dg rifle from a high end maker. My first big bore, equals the 470 nitro, 450 nitro (both of which are regarded as fine).

Think inwould Get In touch with local gunstore which is Woodleigh importer here and ask if they have some Hydro in store . If I was going for elephant some day .375 one or .458

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AileenGayt

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Grat wrote on HUNTROMANIA's profile.
Hallo Marius- do you have possibilities for stags in September during the roar? Where are your hunting areas in Romania?
ghay wrote on No Promises's profile.
I'm about ready to pull the trigger on another rifle but would love to see your rifle first, any way you could forward a pic or two?
Thanks,
Gary [redacted]
Heym Express Safari cal .416 Rigby

Finally ready for another unforgettable adventure in Namibia with Arub Safaris.

H2863-L348464314_original.jpg
Unforgettable memories of my first hunting safari with Arub Safaris in Namibia (Khomas Hochland) !!!

Namibia.jpg
Oryx.jpg
Kudu.jpg
ghay wrote on Joel Rouvaldt's profile.
Love your rifle! I'm needing a heavier rifle for Africa. Sold my .375 Dakota Safari several trips ago. Would you have any interest in a trade of some sort involving the custom 338/06 I have listed here on the site ( I have some room on my asking price. I also have a large quantity of the reloading components and new Redding dies as well as a box of A-Square Dead Tough ammo.