What scares you more? A Hippopotamus or a Lion?

What scares you more? A Hippopotamus or a Lion?

• Total voters
Hippo kill more people than any other animal in Africa. That said. On land the lion, water Hippo
According to an African biologist I spoke to at an SCI convention in 2012, the "Hippo rep" is a myth. He mentioned that African statistics are a bit sketchy but if we are using their stats then Lion and Elephant kill about 500 a year (each), Leopard about 400/year, and hippo about 350/yr. The big killer was crocodiles with about 1000 per year. I can't remember what he said about rhino but it wasn't very many. The real killers are snakes and mosquitos!

adgunner, I will bring you next time we processing new roads down in Petatuke...thick bush veld with 3 meter high elephant grass .... I think you will change your opinion... :(.

Gordon, yup that would get my attention as well! I guess it comes down to being on land or water, probably why I am in the Army and not the Navy:)

According to an African biologist I spoke to at an SCI convention in 2012, the "Hippo rep" is a myth. He mentioned that African statistics are a bit sketchy but if we are using their stats then Lion and Elephant kill about 500 a year (each), Leopard about 400/year, and hippo about 350/yr. The big killer was crocodiles with about 1000 per year. I can't remember what he said about rhino but it wasn't very many. The real killers are snakes and mosquitos!

Africa is special. You are 100% correct and Mosquitos far more than snakes

;)
Africa is special. You are 100% correct and Mosquitos far more than snakes
I guess since they're all dangerous, the key to staying healthy is trying "not to be" at the wrong place at the wrong time!;)

The one I can't see.

Over the years, while my first wife was busy turning herself into a hippo, she was also lion to me about many things.
So, I have been afraid of both hippos and lions, ever since.

I'm not scared of any of them.
Don't see any here in the cold north.:)
If i were in Africa I would be scared of boath!:(

From my rudementary understanding of such creatures, I would have to say lion. My belief is that a lion will kill me just because it wants something to do.

Lion. They are quick and cunning. No big pig is going to catch me if it's on land.

I would say depends where you hunting, but will say hippo are mean buggers!! Croc are definitely the biggest killers.......after the mozzie.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kubetlaw

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.
sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.