What is the ultimate stopping rifle..?

Pondoro

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunted
Norway, Sweden, Namibia and Botswana
Double or bolt..? What calibre..? I am thinking game like elephant, rhino (perhaps not that relevant), hippo and cape buffalo..

I will argue this: - Either a double rifle in .600 or .577NE OR a Mauser actioned bolt rifle in .500 Jeffery..

What do you think..?

Here are my dream stopping rifles. Please note that the images are taken from the internet.
IMG_2909.jpeg

Among double rifles, it’s got to be a James Purdey & Sons sidelock ejector in .600 Nitro Express. I certainly wouldn’t mind a Heym Jumbo sidelock ejector in this caliber either.
IMG_2910.jpeg

Among bolt action rifles, it’s got to be a Ryan Breeding .505 Gibbs built on a Granite Mountain Arms African Magnum Mauser action. I certainly wouldn’t mind an Armeria Concari Super Magnum (with the 3 round detachable magazine) in this caliber either.

I personally prefer the double rifle, but this is very much a matter of individual taste. Much also depends upon the kind of terrain where one is hunting.

In dense vegetation with low visibility, double rifles all the way. 8 out of 10 hunters won’t be able to cycle the bolt quickly enough for a second shot, if a Royal Bengal tiger charges at you in these mangrove forests. Or any of the African Big 5 in the dense Tanzanian bush.
IMG_2788.jpeg

In open terrain, bolt action rifles have the advantage of range (generally speaking). 8 out 10 hunters wouldn’t be able to get within conventional double rifle range of this Asiatic water buffalo in South Bengal. Same applies for lion hunting in the Kalahari (amongst other African places).
IMG_2519.jpeg

Last edited:
nope…bigger is not always better…470-500 NE IF you can 100% place that first shot…i’ll take a DR please over a bolt in that situation
My Zambian & Botswanan white hunter friend Jeff Rann shares a very similar view, @Rare Breed . His former backup double rifle of choice used to be a Holland & Holland Royale sidelock ejector in .577 Nitro Express. In 2020, he switched to a William Evans boxlock ejector in .500 Nitro Express. Having extensively hunted all of the African Big 5 with both calibers, he has observed that the .500 Nitro Express (570Gr bullets at 2150fps) will actually outpenetrate the .577 Nitro Express (750Gr bullets at 2050fps) at acute angles.

Here are my dream stopping rifles. Please note that the images are taken from the internet.
View attachment 569252
Among double rifles, it’s got to be a James Purdey & Sons sidelock ejector in .600 Nitro Express. I certainly wouldn’t mind a Heym Jumbo sidelock ejector in this caliber either.
View attachment 569253
Among bolt action rifles, it’s got to be a Ryan Breeding .505 Gibbs built on a Granite Mountain Arms African Magnum Mauser action. I certainly wouldn’t mind an Armeria Concari Super Magnum (with the 3 round detachable magazine) in this caliber either.

I personally prefer the double rifle, but this is very much a matter of individual taste.
Great to see the Italian firm Concari on your wish list - Mr Concari is a true artist. Super high quality stuff, built one-piece-at-time, class and beauty.

Double would be a Krieghoff Essencia Big Five in 500NE.
1699912654987.png

Bolt action would be a Blaser R8 500J, something like this would fit the bill nicely.
1699912749263.png

Recently reading what a few of the old Ivory hunters had to say on the subject, after having shot the 600NE, the 577NE, the 500NE, the 470NE, the 458 Win Mag, the 416 Rigby (these are what they had access to at the time) the 500NE came out the winner as it was the only one that went from one end of a Cape Buffalo to the other. They felt it had the best penetration of those listed. I found it interesting that only one of them actually used a 500NE daily.

To the person they all felt that for a bolt gun the 416 Rigby was in a class of its own.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ErvinSew56

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.
sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.
Vonfergus wrote on JamesJ's profile.
I am interested in the Double