What do you all think this bear?

View attachment 557400View attachment 557401
Give your opinion on what you think this bear will score and weigh. I’m typically good at judging a bear on the paw but this dude is not of the typical bear proportions that I normally look at. This bastard goes to Krispy Kreme before he hits the neighborhood garbage cans. I’m hoping to ground check him so we can put an end to the guessing!

Can't begin to guess, but he's huge. You can have very fat, small bodied bears. On the other hand, you can have huge bears that are also fat fat fatties. There is no point of reference to determine if that is 350lbs or 800lbs in the photo, but cripes almighty its a big bear.

Good luck it will be interesting to see the results come in.

Can't begin to guess, but he's huge. You can have very fat, small bodied bears. On the other hand, you can have huge bears that are also fat fat fatties. There is no point of reference to determine if that is 350lbs or 800lbs in the photo, but cripes almighty its a big bear.
I would be over there hunting this one if it was a color phased bear, I have told myself no more black colored bears, but this one is intriguing to me! If I can get my son an elk early next week, we will go try to answer this riddle with a sharp broadhead.

Your question on score.
Huge fat body and average skull. So it won’t score that high.
My personal guess from this picture is in the 16.5” range and a shade over 400 just to be on record.

My personal guess from this picture is in the 16.5” range and a shade over 400 just to be on record.

If you're right, its actually a 175lb bear on the inside that is married, has a lot of debt, and has let himself go a little bit in recent years. The extra 225lbs of delicious bear fat renders nicely, we use it to roast potatoes.

VERY! fat sow. :):)

Sow bear. 420-440 LB.

Give us a little more info. lol the hair around the face makes it look like a Euro bear! Where is this? Diff. regions produce Different bear. This an 897 lb monster from nearby. The last is a typ 400-450 lb'er in my backyard. There's a lot to judging a bear: region (some only produce 300 lb max,) daylight under the belly, ear appearance, dog nose or big round blob head, width of the f. paw track 6"+...can you hear it breathing as it waddles, does it have the big white chest V?, etc. etc. etc. FOOD and less exercise makes for BIG bear. Less exercise as the elevation is around 1,500-2,000 and food all year 'round. 'have pics of bears playing in the deep snow when it's not that cold out and they get hungry. Sry: should've asked how heavy the 1st one is! ("2,000!" lol) 3rd one is 839 lbs. 4th one 750. No $10,000 guides. 'Just a lotta hard work. The result of eating blueberries, acorns, garbage, corn/soybeans, butternut, beech, hickory nuts and lotsa grass, plus insects/reptiles/fish at times! The one in my backyard (see 'em ev week!) had tags from NY and PA (some have NY/NJ/PA as they cross the river when it's low depending upon pressure and food avail.)
1694736593624.png
1694736834710.png
1694736957829.png

Attachments

• 1919379_153793365207_5860038_n2.jpg
    1919379_153793365207_5860038_n2.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 52
Big fat ass for sure.
It’s hard to tell in the pics without something to measure against, but I am going to say 6 ft and I think it’s a sow. She has the long sow nose and her ears are still on the top of the skull so not likely a real large skull. Hide does not appear that be rubbed out.

Will make a great rug!

Fairly young but extremely fat sow. It won’t score or square that well. The ears and the legs are a dead giveaway.

Give us a little more info. lol the hair around the face makes it look like a Euro bear! Where is this? Diff. regions produce Different bear. This an 897 lb monster from nearby. The last is a typ 400-450 lb'er in my backyard. There's a lot to judging a bear: region (some only produce 300 lb max,) daylight under the belly, ear appearance, dog nose or big round blob head, width of the f. paw track 6"+...can you hear it breathing as it waddles, does it have the big white chest V?, etc. etc. etc. FOOD and less exercise makes for BIG bear. Less exercise as the elevation is around 1,500-2,000 and food all year 'round. 'have pics of bears playing in the deep snow when it's not that cold out and they get hungry. Sry: should've asked how heavy the 1st one is! ("2,000!" lol) 3rd one is 839 lbs. 4th one 750. No $10,000 guides. 'Just a lotta hard work. The result of eating blueberries, acorns, garbage, corn/soybeans, butternut, beech, hickory nuts and lotsa grass, plus insects/reptiles/fish at times! The one in my backyard (see 'em ev week!) had tags from NY and PA (some have NY/NJ/PA as they cross the river when it's low depending upon pressure and food avail.)View attachment 557482View attachment 557484View attachment 557485
I read (tho over 10 yrs ago) that PA bears were having 3-5 cubs! No one knew how to speculate why, but the numbers were growing exponentially. Still have lots of bears?
Dan'l Boone couldn't do better than what you've been doing!

I read (tho over 10 yrs ago) that PA bears were having 3-5 cubs! No one knew how to speculate why, but the numbers were growing exponentially. Still have lots of bears?
Dan'l Boone couldn't do better than what you've been doing!
it's complicated. they wouldn't be doing that if Gary Alt, PhD wildife biologist were still aboard...but PA had a closed season when i was a kid, then 3 days for many years (which I still wish it were!!!!! I'd see 40 bear while out hunting and shot a dandy.) Then, they got rid of Alt (political pressure-too many not in the know whining about not getting a deer when he created antler size restrictions!), and made it 4 days plus another week during the deer season (when people are opportunists, NOT really bear hunting,) and the population and age structure came down (no matter what BS they sell you! DEMS in-charge.) Now, I see about 4 bear during the season and I pass on most of 'em. The increased litter is due to the population reduction...the sows pump out babies to increase the population to what it was (in attempt. the muzzleloader, archery and extended firearms season will keep up this trend.) And, when the bears were older, bigger, how exactly were they impacting anybody (excepting lower revenues to the Big Fat Swamp Game Commission!) ;) $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ over Widlife Conservation and Hunters that pay for it all. (Same reason there's no E. Caribou herd today; Ev hunter bought 2 tags. What if ev hunter bought 1 tag? We'd still be hunting the Caribou closer to home!!!) SMFH "Global warming! Wolves!! Lichens dying!!!" LMAO No-it's LibDemTardia $-grubbing. (They have no other skills but taking others' $). Interesting point you raise...Allentown PA (suburbia created out of farmland based upon the need due to nearby steel industries)...when it was created, the moms would have 2-3 girls (2/3 gals at one point)...as their bodies adapted to adjust the rather low population in the area. No different. They're WELL adjusted today! LOL I've heard many older guys remark about heading to dances, college parties, etc. there once upon a time. Even Billy Joel knew about it...lol

Last edited:
Two weeks ago I harvested my 6th northern Canada black bear. The indicated is a garbage eating sow. 6-61/2ft. Close to 500lbs. Definitely NOT a wilderness area bear, they have no time(constantly moving to find food)nor enough food available to get that fat. Skull size, with the flab, hard to tell, guessing around 16". Chances are the meat won't taste that great.
She'll make a nice rug.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leatha89G

Latest profile posts

sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.
sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.
Vonfergus wrote on JamesJ's profile.
I am interested in the Double
Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob