Were the Ruger RSM and CZ 550 Safari rifles the two most significant contributors to the 416 Rigby's recent popularity?

Northern Shooter

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
As many of you have done, I've read up on the history of the 416 Rigby Cartridge and the trials and tribulations that it underwent over the last century.

1. Released in 1911, although it was a popular choice of early PH's there were less than 200 rifles produced in this cartridge from 1911 up to the end of WW2. I've read anywhere between 169-189 rifles.

2. Resurgence in popularity during the 1950/1960's following Ruarks 1953 Book "Horn of the Hunter" where the cartridge was memorialized and firmly planted in the heads of every wishful African hunter. O' Conor and Taylor were also singing the praises of this cartridge at that time.

3. 1970's - Kynock the primary producer of 416 Rigby ammunition goes under leaving this cartridge unsupported and it begins to fade away into obscurity.

4. Late 1980's. The 416 RemMag is released, reinvigorating some life back into the .416 caliber. Ruger releases their RSM rifle in 416 Rigby. The combination of which triggers mainstay ammo manufacturers like Federal, Hornady, Norma, Winchester and Nosler to start producing 416 Rigby Ammo, making it more common on gun store shelves than at any other place in history. The cartridge is now finally available in an affordable rifle that the average American can buy.

5. The 2000s+ - Release of the CZ550 Safari Magnum in 416 Rigby amoung other African DG Cartridges. This was likely the biggest push for the cartridges revival given the affordable price point of these CZ rifles. Other rifles like the Sako 85 and Dakota 76 also offered this cartridge in this same time period in higher priced rifles.

As you can see, despite being around for over 110 years this cartridge has had made up's and down's, periods where it virtually disappeared from the market and was then later revived.

With the discontinuation of the CZ550 in 2020 followed by the Sako 85 in 2022, I feel like the next 10 years will see another decline in the popularity of the 416 Rigby Cartridge. There have already been a handful of ammo producers that have stopped producing this cartridge. As a result however, alternatives like the shortened 416 RemMag and 416 Ruger may gain popularity in it's place given that affordable rifles in these chamberings are still being produced today.

Thoughts?

Unfortunately I can see its popularity dropping, there's still a good amount of rifles out there but guys that want one most likely already have one so there may not be a big demand for rifles.

Unfortunately I can see its popularity dropping, there's still a good amount of rifles out there but guys that want one most likely already have one so there may not be a big demand for rifles.
Yeah I think the writing is on the wall, lots of existing rifles sitting in owners gun safe's but nothing new being produced for less than $10,000.

I just bought a CZ in 416 so have been buying up all the ammo I can find and have noticed that a few producers are either no longer making 416 Rigby Ammo or are continually "out of stock."

• Sako (A Frames) - Sako dropped production of their big bore ammo (416/450/500) when they cut the 85 line.
  • Winchester are no longer producing 416 Rigby Ammo.
  • Nosler no longer list it on their website.
  • Norma no longer offering loaded 416 ammo.

Yeah I think the writing is on the wall, lots of existing rifles sitting in owners gun safe's but nothing new being produced for less than $10,000.

I just bought a CZ in 416 so have been buying up all the ammo I can find and have noticed that a few producers are either no longer making 416 Rigby Ammo or are continually "out of stock."

• Sako (A Frames) - Sako dropped production of their big bore ammo (416/450/500) when they cut the 85 line.
  • Winchester are no longer producing 416 Rigby Ammo.
  • Nosler no longer list it on their website.
  • Norma no longer offering loaded 416 ammo.
Ya not have a action to fit is a big problem unless you have money, I can see the same thing with the h&h mags less actions to fit them then ever. I'll probably never have the money for Africa but always wanted a 416 Rigby but prices will only go up.

I think there is a small dedicated market for this caliber 416R , and the folks that are loyal to it as I am wont be changing their mind any time soon. I would suggest the 404j is in a similar position. Yes ammo and components come and go in availability, but most dedicated hunters buy a lot of the components when buying / building their rifle. I think they may disappear from your corner gun store, but there will always be a demand for these 100 + year old cartridges. Many folks said that the 375 H&H would disappear when 375 Ruger came out. I still see more rifles and factory ammunition for the H&H than the Ruger in my neck of the woods.

Just my 2cents
Pat

Look at the broader picture, CZ stopped making the whole line of DG rifles in any cartridge.

Ruger stopped manufacturing the whole line of rifles in any cartridge.

Ruger offered a new proprietary cartridge, which has no competition and which is solely dependent on Hornady for ammo and that occurs only in sporadic runs. The .375 Ruger gained a bit of traction, the .416 Ruger is teetering on the edge of discontinued.

Montana Rifle Company offered affordable rifles in DG cartridges, but it went under.

BRNO no longer is an option. ZKK rifles are gone with the wind in any cartridge.

When was the last run of Winchester M70’s even in .375 H&H or .416 Rem? That is essentially the same rifle with just a different barrel. Yet new ones are not on the shelf. There is supposed to be a run this year.

Read the comments here, 90% recommend a .375 for a first time hunt. How many hunters return for a second or third time and step up to a larger rifle?

That is a very small market. The big manufacturers are leaving that niche to the small producers. Small producers charge more because there are fewer units amongst which to spread the cost of overhead.

Most hunters lean towards a .375 due to concerns about recoil on top of rifle cost. In .40’s and above, how many new rifles are sold each year? Just a guess that is a very small number, maybe under a 1,000 or even a fraction of that?

The bigger issue is DG rifles are a small market. Companies making lower price point rifles need to sell more volume to generate adequate bottom line profits. That model does not fit this market. As most DG rifle manufacturers now are located in the EU or GB, costs of production are high for low volume production.

As for ammo, .416 Rigby appears readily available at least here in the US with multiple companies offering it including Barnes, Hornady, and Federal. .404 Jeff ammo and brass is much less available here in the US, though Hornady just released a run.

Last edited:
BELL ammunition ( think was owned by Jack Carter.. ) was the only one making it with trophy bonded bear claws and sledge hammers in late 1980s...its what I used on my first hunt in Tanzania...its what Paul stocked and used with Rigby in those days..then I think it was Federal who first then started loading it along with the 470 NE....think Federal bought BELL ammo...but not 100% on that...why I like bearclaws and sledge hammers to this day ....they worked very well for me back in those days...

I think resurgent popularity of 404 will cut into the former 416 Rigby market, especially if ammo and components become more available. I also foresee lighter than 400 gr bullets in 404 stepping on the 375 market ... a bit. With modern bullet construction I just don't see the need to beat oneself up with shoulder bruisers like 416 or 458. This is not 1920 or even 1950. It may be possible with lightweight bullets for 404 to become a respectable North American big game cartridge ... if hunters on this side of the pond can ever learn to appreciate the value and thrill of stalking game at 100 yards or less vs plinking at animals in the next zipcode. While I believe there is a possibility, with some assistance from ammo makers, for the 404 to jump the Atlantic, I don't see that happening with 416 Rigby. It has a malicious reputation for recoil whereas the 404 has exactly the opposite reputation. 404 also has a nostalgic factor that's missing from modern 416 Rem and Ruger.

As many of you have done, I've read up on the history of the 416 Rigby Cartridge and the trials and tribulations that it underwent over the last century.

1. Released in 1911, although it was a popular choice of early PH's there were less than 200 rifles produced in this cartridge from 1911 up to the end of WW2. I've read anywhere between 169-189 rifles.

2. Resurgence in popularity during the 1950/1960's following Ruarks 1953 Book "Horn of the Hunter" where the cartridge was memorialized and firmly planted in the heads of every wishful African hunter. O' Conor and Taylor were also singing the praises of this cartridge at that time.

3. 1970's - Kynock the primary producer of 416 Rigby ammunition goes under leaving this cartridge unsupported and it begins to fade away into obscurity.

4. Late 1980's. The 416 RemMag is released, reinvigorating some life back into the .416 caliber. Ruger releases their RSM rifle in 416 Rigby. The combination of which triggers mainstay ammo manufacturers like Federal, Hornady, Norma, Winchester and Nosler to start producing 416 Rigby Ammo, making it more common on gun store shelves than at any other place in history. The cartridge is now finally available in an affordable rifle that the average American can buy.

5. The 2000s+ - Release of the CZ550 Safari Magnum in 416 Rigby amoung other African DG Cartridges. This was likely the biggest push for the cartridges revival given the affordable price point of these CZ rifles. Other rifles like the Sako 85 and Dakota 76 also offered this cartridge in this same time period in higher priced rifles.

As you can see, despite being around for over 110 years this cartridge has had made up's and down's, periods where it virtually disappeared from the market and was then later revived.

With the discontinuation of the CZ550 in 2020 followed by the Sako 85 in 2022, I feel like the next 10 years will see another decline in the popularity of the 416 Rigby Cartridge. There have already been a handful of ammo producers that have stopped producing this cartridge. As a result however, alternatives like the shortened 416 RemMag and 416 Ruger may gain popularity in it's place given that affordable rifles in these chamberings are still being produced today.

Thoughts?
Understand that between the wars production of magnum actions in Germany was very limited due to Versailles Treaty. Consequently, Rigby may have had limited access to the magnum action Mauser essentially designed for that cartridge. This may account for low production numbers. I'm wondering if your Rigby factory statistic includes standard action Mausers (often military surplus) that were redesigned during this period for 416 cartridge? That's what Ruark's PH used. May have been a lot more of them produced.

Checking AmmoSeek.com here are the available vendor in stock offerings in the US:

.375 H&H - 411

.375 Ruger - 156

.375 Rem Ultra Mag - 37

.375 Wby - 0

.378 Wby - 26

.416 Rigby - 101

.416 Rem - 139

.416 Ruger - 8

.416 Taylor - 0

.416 Wby - 27

.404 Jeffery - 35 (Hornady just made a run, it was at 0 a month ago)

.458 Win Mag - 119

.458 Lott - 169 (this was an interesting surprise)

.470 NE - 96

For comparison, the results for .300 Win Mag is “thousands.”

I think resurgent popularity of 404 will cut into the former 416 Rigby market, especially if ammo and components become more available. I also foresee lighter than 400 gr bullets in 404 stepping on the 375 market ... a bit. With modern bullet construction I just don't see the need to beat oneself up with shoulder bruisers like 416 or 458. This is not 1920 or even 1950. It may be possible with lightweight bullets for 404 to become a respectable North American big game cartridge ... if hunters on this side of the pond can ever learn to appreciate the value and thrill of stalking game at 100 yards or less vs plinking at animals in the next zipcode. While I believe there is a possibility, with some assistance from ammo makers, for the 404 to jump the Atlantic, I don't see that happening with 416 Rigby. It has a malicious reputation for recoil whereas the 404 has exactly the opposite reputation. 404 also has a nostalgic factor that's missing from modern 416 Rem and Ruger.

My 9.5lb 416 rigby is pleasant to shoot using federal ammunition....nothing malicious about it at all...my 404 with norma ph 450grn is "malicious" though....think a lot of the 416 Rigby negativity is due to people hand loading it to way above 2400.... :E Shrug:

Last edited:
Yep, agreed spike.t, they are pushing .416 Wby ballistics out of the .416 Rigby, which is easy enough because the .416 Wby is the .460 Wby necked down, and the .460 Wby was created by adding a belt to the .416 Rigby and necking it up.

I hear that the same issue is happening with the .450 Rigby, with folks pushing it to .460 Wby ballistics.

A few love them, but the .378 Wby / .416 Wby / .460 Wby have nasty recoil, and the .378 Wby /.460 Wby were entirely responsible for the Weatherby negative image in Africa.

This is really too bad, because there are some Wby gems out there. The .300 Wby is world renown, but admittedly, one can live very well with a .300 Win, especially in the era of BDC turrets. The .257 Wby was truly unique from 1945 to the recent fast .260s craze and more specifically the arrival of the 26 Nosler in 2013, but in truth, the .257 Wby remains unique because the 26 Nosler should be compared more accurately to the 6.5-300 Wby.

For those wanting just a little more from the .375 H&H, the .375 Wby was/is likely one of the best "improved" versions of the H&H. Weatherby dropped it in the 1960's to help impose the .378, but finally came to their senses and re-introduced it in 2001 after it became painfully obvious that folks who wanted a Mark V in .375, chose in drove a .375 H&H Mk V over the terrifying .378 Wby Mk V. Also one can still shoot .375 H&H ammo in the .375 Wby chamber.

Anyway, I digress, but it is doing the .416 and .450 Rigby no favor to push them to .416 and .460 Wby ballistics.

Last edited:
… And Mayfair Engineering stopped manufacturing Mauser actions recently. For those of you gents who didn’t know, this was the company who used to supply James Purdey & Sons, Westley Richards, William Moore & Co. and Charles Lancaster with Mauser Model 98 style actions for their magazine rifles.

I hate to sound pessimistic, but I fear that we are entering into another “Dark Ages” for big bore rifle calibers. The first dark age was in 1970, when I.C.I Kynoch ceased manufacture of all centerfire ammunition. Since they were the only manufacturers of big bore rifle ammunition at the time (barring the .375 Holland & Holland Magnum and .458 Winchester Magnum which were being loaded by Winchester and Remington), practically all big bore rifles in traditional safari calibers (like .416 Rigby or .470 Nitro Express) literally fell into disuse until 1983 when B.E.L.L (Brass Extrusion Laboratories Limited) began to load ammunition for these calibers again. I went on four African safaris between 1974-1983, and I never once saw any big bore rifles in use except those chambered in .375 Holland & Holland Magnum and .458 Winchester Magnum.

Based upon the patterns in ammunition availability which I’m seeing in recent years, factory loaded ammunition for many big bore calibers is once again getting very difficult to find.

By the way, @spike.t … BELL (Brass Extrusion Laboratories Limited) started offering loaded ammunition for the .470 Nitro Express in 1982 and ammunition for the other British big bore calibers (like .416 Rigby) in 1983. They exclusively employed Woodleigh bullets but went out of business in 1989.

Federal started loading Trophy Bonded Bear Claw and Trophy Bonded Sledgehammer Solids in their Safari line of ammunition in 1993. I first used 300Gr Federal loaded Trophy Bonded Bear Claws (out of a .375 Holland & Holland Magnum) in South Africa during the hunting season of 1993.

… And Mayfair Engineering stopped manufacturing Mauser actions recently. For those of you gents who didn’t know, this was the company who used to supply James Purdey & Sons, Westley Richards, William Moore & Co. and Charles Lancaster with Mauser Model 98 style actions for their magazine rifles.

I hate to sound pessimistic, but I fear that we are entering into another “Dark Ages” for big bore rifle calibers. The first dark age was in 1970, when I.C.I Kynoch ceased manufacture of all centerfire ammunition. Since they were the only manufacturers of big bore rifle ammunition at the time (barring the .375 Holland & Holland Magnum and .458 Winchester Magnum which were being loaded by Winchester and Remington), practically all big bore rifles in traditional safari calibers (like .416 Rigby or .470 Nitro Express) literally fell into disuse until 1983 when B.E.L.L (Brass Extrusion Laboratories Limited) began to load ammunition for these calibers again. I went on four African safaris between 1974-1983, and I never once saw any big bore rifles in use except those chambered in .375 Holland & Holland Magnum and .458 Winchester Magnum.

Based upon the patterns in ammunition availability which I’m seeing in recent years, factory loaded ammunition for many big bore calibers is once again getting very difficult to find.

By the way, @spike.t … BELL (Brass Extrusion Laboratories Limited) started offering loaded ammunition for the .470 Nitro Express in 1982 and ammunition for the other British big bore calibers (like .416 Rigby) in 1983. They exclusively employed Woodleigh bullets but went out of business in 1989.

Federal started loading Trophy Bonded Bear Claw and Trophy Bonded Sledgehammer Solids in their Safari line of ammunition in 1993. I first used 300Gr Federal loaded Trophy Bonded Bear Claws (out of a .375 Holland & Holland Magnum) in South Africa during the hunting season of 1993.

Mmm...have to disagree with you on that one.....I used BELL 416 rigby in 1989 first and it was loaded with bearclaws and sledge hammers...Jack Carter who owned BELL developed them..so obviously used them in his ammunition...as said I think Federal bought it and that's when they started loading bearclaws and sledge hammers....they at one stage changed the specs on them and they didn't work as they were supposed to...so went back to original specs....

Mmm...have to disagree with you on that one.....I used BELL 416 rigby in 1989 first and it was loaded with bearclaws and sledge hammers...Jack Carter who owned BELL developed them..so obviously used them in his ammunition...as said I think Federal bought it and that's when they started loading bearclaws and sledge hammers....they at one stage changed the specs on them and they didn't work as they were supposed to...so went back to original specs....
But @spike.t wasn't it Jim Bell who owned BELL Brass ?

But @spike.t wasn't it Jim Bell who owned BELL Brass ?

Probably was long time ago...but Jack Carter developed the trophy bonded bullets and the BELL ammunition I used was loaded with them. They came in 10 round plastic clam shell type boxes....from memory it was the only 416 rigby ammunition you could get back then.all I can remember...then federal bought the rights to manufacture them...

As some have pointed out, the .416 Rigby has been the basis for many new rounds. This is bound to give the parent cartridge a boost in popularity.

I believe the larger factor of fading DG rifles is the African hunting opportunity’s are diminishing. Time and public opinion will continue to make DG hunting less available and therefore costs even higher.
The way of the world today.

I own a 404J it is a Mauser Type A using SSB magnum action . It is without any shadow of a doubt the most unpleasant rifle I have ever shot . Closely followed by a
Mannlicher Schoenaeur 9.5x57 . That 404 of mine is just awful to shoot . But it certainly comes with a lot of history .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rowan458

Latest profile posts

USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.
SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.