Well boys, what's your temperature like now?

Coldest recorded temperature on record is -80 degrees in Alaska 1971.

Back in the early 1980's I was up in Minnesota, and the weather hit almost -60 degrees with the windchill.
It was so damn cold, the cassette deck in my car wouldn't play, and I could barely shift the 4 speed manual transmission in my Camaro because the transmission oil was solidifying. It was brutally cold.
I think about that often when the Arizona desert temps are up towards 115 degrees in June .....lol.

@Just Gina, outside temperature is an interesting thing. My family has moved north and south East Coast through my career. This is our third and likely last move to Florida, two years ago we moved after 12 years from Rochester NY. We seem to adapt well to either hot or cold easily. Rochester typically gets 11 feet of snow and cold and here in Central Florida typically 90-93 high every summer day. We are outdoor people and we have totally enjoyed both sides of the climate. Personally I believe a lot is psychological. The news calls out our heat and cold and we obey. As I loved hunting and skiing in upstate NY I long for our summer months here in Florida, all but hurricanes which I don’t long for.
That is cool you are moving back to Florida!
I cannot adapt to weather changes like that. I know a lot of people can. When it is really cold and damp, every bone I have ever had broken or fractured (and it is a LOT) hurt WAY worse than when in a dryer area that is not as cold.
I have had extremes both ways. Lived in the desert, and here. I need a happy medium! :E Big Grin:

Coldest recorded temperature on record is -80 degrees in Alaska 1971.

Back in the early 1980's I was up in Minnesota, and the weather hit almost -60 degrees with the windchill.
It was so damn cold, the cassette deck in my car wouldn't play, and I could barely shift the 4 speed manual transmission in my Camaro because the transmission oil was solidifying. It was brutally cold.
I think about that often when the Arizona desert temps are up towards 115 degrees in June .....lol.
Yes, it is ridiculous cold here in MN too much! I have been through Arizona a lot. Had a friend that lived in Tucson. Last year it was really bad. All I keep hearing here is “this is not normal” every time the weather is awful (which is all the time). No one can tell me what “normal” is and they are all born and raised here. None of them have ever lived anywhere else :E Laugh:

I believe it is still a manned weather station. I could be wrong. I do know we used to have a weather man on the local news that would spend his winters up there. I actually just googled it and it has been continuously manned since 1932. Here is a pic of one of the wooden buildings up there. Notice the large chains going over the roof.
View attachment 515491
Ok. I have to ask about the chains you pointed out. What exactly is their purpose?

Ok. I have to ask about the chains you pointed out. What exactly is their purpose?
My guess would be to keep the roof from blowing off in those 90+ mph winds they get there? Looks like a lovely place to hang out in during the winter? LOL

Currently 8C from where I am right now.

21E5553D-B8F3-4036-BE39-2E4AE420F176.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Rare occurrence in the Tucson valley last night.......Snow!
Back in 1975 when I lived out there, the joke (was not really a joke) was.....during the winter in Tucson people would go snow skiing up on Mount Lemon in the morning, then come back down to the desert to warm up by going swimming in the afternoon.

During the summer people wore the lightest summer clothing possible during the day and moderate winter clothing about 2-3 hours after the sun went down.....and it's 80° outside....of course the temps were 100+ degrees during the day.

Unlike the high humidity of 40+% states east of the Mississippi river dealt with, back then in Arizona 10% humidity was high, coupled with a 30-40-50+ degree temperature drop, the desert went from roasting to what felt like freezing.

Aahh...What memories you stirred up.

A bit off topic but since you reminded me of my time in Arizona. Does the Tucson Rod and Gun Club still have their annual mystery meats BBQ in August?

Back in 1975 when I lived out there, the joke (was not really a joke) was.....during the winter in Tucson people would go snow skiing up on Mount Lemon in the morning, then come back down to the desert to warm up by going swimming in the afternoon.

During the summer people wore the lightest summer clothing possible during the day and moderate winter clothing about 2-3 hours after the sun went down.....and it's 80° outside....of course the temps were 100+ degrees during the day.

Unlike the high humidity of 40+% states east of the Mississippi river dealt with, back then in Arizona 10% humidity was high, coupled with a 30-40-50+ degree temperature drop, the desert went from roasting to what felt like freezing.

Aahh...What memories you stirred up.

A bit off topic but since you reminded me of my time in Arizona. Does the Tucson Rod and Gun Club still have their annual mystery meats BBQ in August?
Tucson Rod & Gun club was forced to shut down over 20 years ago.
I've been to the Club mystery meat BBQ's back in the day. First time I ever sampled MT. Lion.

Currently -12 and going down. Add a little breeze so currently about -25 wind chill. On tractor plowing new snow til sundown yesterday. Could feel temp fall like a rock with clear sky at about 6pm. Current snow pack here well above 150% normal- the silver lining being good runoff and irrigation. Next in line - mud season. :)

WTF 2 weeks ago we had double digits below zero and today it’s 56 degrees. Got to love Maine weather. On the good side the boiler won’t be running much today

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dreamer44

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

FDP wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Good morning. I'll take all of them actually. Whats the next step? Thanks, Derek
Have a look af our latest post on the biggest roan i ever guided on!

I realize how hard the bug has bit. I’m on the cusp of safari #2 and I’m looking to plan #3 with my 11 year old a year from now while looking at my work schedule for overtime and computing the math of how many shifts are needed….
Safari Dave wrote on Kevin Peacocke's profile.
I'd like to get some too.

My wife (a biologist, like me) had to have a melanoma removed from her arm last fall.
Grat wrote on HUNTROMANIA's profile.
Hallo Marius- do you have possibilities for stags in September during the roar? Where are your hunting areas in Romania?